IGNORED

ZeroPage Homebrew Twitch Stream

4 hours ago, DEBRO said:

Hi there,

I am embarrassed. I saw this in testing on one of my 7800s and thought it was solved :(

Is it possible you referenced location 24 instead of #24? 

Location 24 is the TIA register AUDF1 which is a write register, but if you read it it actually returns 24 which is pretty handy - at least it does most of the time.

turns out if you insert a Sega-Pad or a paddle this location briefly changes; I utilized that feature for KCMM because it prevented use of a Sega-Pad and required a joystick, but it caused some unexpected behavior.

Here's a test program that will show the value of AUDF1 on the screen - some weird things happen that should be reproducible:

READAUDF1.bin

The program polls the write only register and shows the value, and yellow screens when the value exceeds 99

When I run it on a Harmony it's always 24, but if I plug in the paddle or the pad it yellow screens.

With the Uno cart the behavior get's very strange, I think a hardware issue maybe with a cap in the console because the Harmony cart can be used to fix whatever is happening with the Uno when it sticks: 

The Uno returns a 24 at first if using the joystick, but after the sega-pad is plugged in it doesn't matter if I power off and unplug the UnoCart and then put it back in, it continues to yellow screen unless I plug in the Harmony cart to clear it.

I suspect if James leaves the test program running overnight it may yellow screen, temperature change can cause the read to fluctuate.

Thank you very much James, Darcy and Zero Page Homebrew for the opportunity to show you my new game: DEEP SPACE. I hope you all enjoyed it. ;)

Thanks also to my tireless Beta Tester Daniel Medina! :D A great friend for many years.

Leandro Camara

:)

On 8/20/2020 at 6:09 AM, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

THIS FRIDAY ZeroPage Homebrew has the EXCLUSIVE WORLD PREMIERE of Leandro Camara's (@HSW3ET) new Atari 2600 homebrew Deep Space! 

You may know Leandro's previous 2600 games A New Maurader and Rally Racer released through More Work Games and now he's back with a brand new homebrew that takes us back into the (space) battle!

"On board of the NIX 2-6 Spaceship you have been informed that four Motherships are transporting stellar matters from the mines of a near planet. Your mission is to intercept the Motherships and recover the content, but before you need to browse the four orbits where each Mothership is and face the challenges of DEEP SPACE."

We'll be debuting DEEP SPACE this Friday on ZeroPage Homebrew's Twitch livestream at 12PM PT | 3PM ET | 7PM GMT, make sure you tune in!

Twitch Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/zeropagehomebrew/

133951826_20200819-DeepSpaceWorldPremiere.thumb.jpg.09a479eeaa71a2c87c53745700058ba7.jpg

• Like 2

@ZeroPage Homebrew After watching last night's show, I added a new TIA glitch option (delayed background color) for developers to Stella. Picture attached.

I had never seen this glitch before. Now I have to check if was already reported somewhere or if your modded console is totally unique here.

Indy 500 Menu.png

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch
  • Like 2

On 8/26/2020 at 2:46 PM, Thomas Jentzsch said:

@ZeroPage Homebrew After watching last night's show, I added a new TIA glitch option (delayed background color) for developers to Stella. Picture attached.

I had never seen this glitch before. Now I have to check if was already reported somewhere or if your modded console is totally unique here.

Oh wow, I didn't even realize that the white in the flags was done by a mid-line colour change in the background. It seems like the use of that is such a rare occurrence I assumed it would have been done with the ball or playfield (or something else), but it looks like the ball is already being used in the left flagpole.

There's a lot of clever programming happening in these menus!

- James

On 8/26/2020 at 2:16 PM, HSW3ET said:

Thank you very much James, Darcy and Zero Page Homebrew for the opportunity to show you my new game: DEEP SPACE. I hope you all enjoyed it. ;)

Thanks also to my tireless Beta Tester Daniel Medina! :D A great friend for many years.

Leandro Camara

:)

You're very welcome, it's an extremely well made game and so much fun! Thank you for allowing us to debut Deep Space on ZPH!

- James

On 8/26/2020 at 2:46 PM, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Indy 500 Menu.png

I broke Jame's Atari.... sorry about that! 

With this glitch it's a problem for autodetecting it. There are no collision registers with the background. It would be great if this was proved to be always on a TIA with the Pesco glitch. Then some autodetection can be done.

James, does the glitch appear when the console is cold, warmed up, or all the time?

1 hour ago, Omegamatrix said:

I broke Jame's Atari.... sorry about that! 

No problem! It seems to like it by now, hahah.

With this glitch it's a problem for autodetecting it. There are no collision registers with the background. It would be great if this was proved to be always on a TIA with the Pesco glitch. Then some autodetection can be done.

James, does the glitch appear when the console is cold, warmed up, or all the time?

It was fairly warmed up at the time we played it on the show so we'll take that as the 'warmed up' case for now. I just powered on my 2600 from cold and it gave a surprising result...

image.thumb.png.a7383fd7808177fa8a698f89f94d784a.png

And zoooooom in! YELLOW???

image.thumb.png.6b199814b97a96f1252634531f9520cd.png

I'll leave it running for a while and see if it changes to white, shifts over or does another equally unexpected thing...

- James

Edited by ZeroPage Homebrew

I recorded a video of the phenomenon right from booting up the 2600.  The yellow dots start to flicker to white after a couple minutes and after about 10 minutes all four dots mostly stabilize to white. After about 20 minutes the bottom left dot was flickering to yellow every couple of seconds for a frame or two and after about 30 minutes it was solid white. I wonder if it's just those four pixels or if there's more flickering pixels under the black flags?

Make sure you watch at 60fps to see the full frame rate of the flicker. I made a zoomed in version at the bottom, I apologize for the various scaling types at the beginning as I find the best one to show the pixels.

(SET VIDEO TO 1080P60 FOR FULL QUALITY)

• Like 2

IMO the delayed color change peeking underneath the flag is missing the chroma-kill that normally happens to the $0x hue. (Until some warm-up effect causes that bit of the TIA circuitry to become just as delayed as the background color change circuit is.)

3 hours ago, RevEng said:

IMO the delayed color change peeking underneath the flag is missing the chroma-kill that normally happens to the $0x hue. (Until some warm-up effect causes that bit of the TIA circuitry to become as delayed as the background color change is.)

Yea, some circuits are more on the edge than others. It even seems to depend where on the screen they are, maybe from how often the register got switched rapidly during the frame). At least that's what the Pesco video seems to indicate. There the top stray pixel appear first.  

BTW: I am 100% speculating here, because I know little to nothing about this kind of hardware. 

7 hours ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

Oh wow, I didn't even realize that the white in the flags was done by a mid-line colour change in the background. It seems like the use of that is such a rare occurrence...

I agree, this is pretty rare. I am not even sure if I ever did this, and I stressed the TIA quite a lot already. :) 

It would be cool to find out if it happens on other consoles too. The fact that it never was reported means little to nothing, because mid-line background color switches are very rare. As of now I don't know about any original game doing that. If such a game exists and the problem is from your TIA and not the mod, then someone would have most likely reported that already. 

6 minutes ago, mksmith said:

Here's a very interesting video that just popped up on YT @ZeroPage Homebrew.  Great to see some more cross-platform development ?

I think I saw it the same time as you and just posted about it on ZPH FB account, hahah. ? So awesome!!

It's incredible to see this kind of thing happening! Feels like the old days when you'd have the same game come out on all the different consoles at the same time. I remember seeing the screen shot comparisons on the back of comic books of all the different systems and tried to compare what they all looked like, but they were usually way to small to see.

- James

• Like 1

? 

Would be great to have more of this type of thing for sure. Antonio has been converting over some of the old Activision game the past 18 months or so and is a great c64 developer so this will be a great conversion.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mksmith said:

?

Would be great to have more of this type of thing for sure. Antonio has been converting over some of the old Activision game the past 18 months or so and is a great c64 developer so this will be a great conversion.

OH WOW!! Good eye! I was going to look up the name but then got sidetracked. He's done some incredible conversions including Dan's Crackpots! I've seen these pop up when there were released. I haven't had a chance to play any of them but the gameplay footage looks amazing on all of them.

https://csdb.dk/scener/?id=27021

- James

On 8/27/2020 at 7:25 PM, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

I recorded a video of the phenomenon right from booting up the 2600.  The yellow dots start to flicker to white after a couple minutes and after about 10 minutes all four dots mostly stabilize to white. After about 20 minutes the bottom left dot was flickering to yellow every couple of seconds for a frame or two and after about 30 minutes it was solid white. I wonder if it's just those four pixels or if there's more flickering pixels under the black flags?

Make sure you watch at 60fps to see the full frame rate of the flicker. I made a zoomed in version at the bottom, I apologize for the various scaling types at the beginning as I find the best one to show the pixels.

Interesting result, but a real problem for autodetecting for sure. Here is a modified version that may work for your console. No guarantees.

Indy 500 Menu (Mod for Late COLUBK) NTSC.bin

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Omegamatrix said:

Interesting result, but a real problem for autodetecting for sure.

Yes, it is seems impossible to detect color delays. 

9 hours ago, Omegamatrix said:

Here is a modified version that may work for your console. No guarantees.

It works in Stella when the TIA glitch is enabled. ?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Omegamatrix said:

Interesting result, but a real problem for autodetecting for sure. Here is a modified version that may work for your console. No guarantees.

Indy 500 Menu (Mod for Late COLUBK) NTSC.bin 8 kB · 9 downloads

Confirmed, works great! The colour has shifted over to fill in the flags. It still starts off yellow and then slowly changes to white but it looks a lot better with the flags filled in. I've recorded another video of the new build from cold boot.

Approx Timings:

3:00 Top Left & Right start to flicker from yellow to white

3:45 Bottom Left & Right start to flicker from Yellow to white

11:00 Top Left stops flickering and is solid white

13:00 Bottom Right stops flickering and is solid white

~20-25min Top Right & Bottom Left stop flickering and are solid white (off camera)

- James

• Like 2

This Friday on ZeroPage Homebrew we have the EXCLUSIVE WORLD PREMIERE of the arcade port Stratovox 2600 by Carlos Centeno (@RaymanC). Carlo's most recent game The End, another incredible shooter, is coming out soon in the AtariAge store!

"Stratovox, known in Japan as Speak & Rescue is a 1980 arcade fixed shooter" ... "It is the first video game with voice synthesis." - (Wikipedia)

We're looking forward to premiering this high action shooter on the show! Make sure you tune in this Friday!

- James

2108717996_2600-Stratovox2600.thumb.png.00c64211ce4225879d4c72e761e5e106.png

strat01.thumb.png.d36a497bb973f8448c538cc76e12aae0.png   strat02.thumb.png.33f82e248fc3d5536ee111f20f942007.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

This Friday on ZeroPage Homebrew we have the EXCLUSIVE WORLD PREMIERE of the arcade port Stratovox 2600 by Carlos Centeno (@RaymanC). Carlo's most recent game The End, another incredible shooter, is coming out soon in the AtariAge store!

"Stratovox, known in Japan as Speak & Rescue is a 1980 arcade fixed shooter" ... "It is the first video game with voice synthesis." - (Wikipedia)

We're looking forward to premiering this high action shooter on the show! Make sure you tune in this Friday!

- James

Loving it. Hope the voice synthesis is included (AtariVox?) too.?