IGNORED

ZeroPage Homebrew Twitch Stream

3 hours ago, McCallister said:

Haunted Adventure Trilogy.

Sadly I don't own that cartridge and it hasn't been posted by the developer @atwwong in binary form (as far as I'm aware). It's still available in the AtariAge store, so maybe next time, but we'll probably have to pass on that game for at least this year.

Just now, Karl G said:

I would think that Unholy would be a good fit. 

Good suggestion! If we don't finish it on Tuesday (we have the EXCLUSIVE FINAL BUILD next show!), we'll schedule it again for the Halloween episode, it has an incredibly creepy mood to it with the awesome lightning, enemies and blood soaked rooms.

- James

5 hours ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

Halloween Homebrews?

We're looking for some spooky scary 2600 games to play on the ZPH Halloween Homebrew Special this year! So far we have two new hacks, Pumpkin Muncher and Bone Bros scheduled.

Any more suggestions?

Games we're already played on previous years:

20191031 Let's Play: Halloween Homebrew Special: Skeleton+ (Fixed), DoReMi (Halloween Edition), Zombie Invaders (Space Invaders Hack), Ronister at Haunted House (Berzerk Hack), Halloween, Frankenstein's Monster

20181031 Let's Play: Halloween Homebrew Special: Video Jack-O-Lantern (Demo), Happy Halloween (WIP), Candy Catcher, Stranger Things - Barb's Revenge (Hack), Tombstones (WIP), Freddy's Fear Factory (Hack), Blair Witch Project, The (Hack), Elvira (Hack), Monster's Revenge (Hack), Skeleton +, Tyre Trax: ZeroPage Halloween Edition (WIP)

Adventure GP hack by "77gp454"

Alien Revenge: Halloween Hack (aka Monster's Revenge) by Edward A Smith

Crackbats (Halloween) hack by Jeff Johnson

Freddy vs Michael hack by Tim Martin

Halloween II hack by Tim Martin

Halloween III: Season of the Witch hack by Tim Martin

Halloween 4 hack by "Atari Dogs"

Hell-o-ween hack by "Raccoon Lad"

Monster Ball by Greg Zumwalt

Nitemare hack by Scott Dayton

Nitemare Pinball by Scott Dayton

Pumpkinhead hack by Scott Dayton

Zombie Invaders hack by James Catalano

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sramirez2008 said:

@ZeroPage Homebrew James, you mentioned a patch for Rally Racer during yesterday’s stream. I don’t see any mention of the rules on the Morework Games site. Do you know what they are?

You bet, here's a link to the announcement on their FB page.

To get the patch you have to reach 210 miles at the end of the third race or 240 miles on the podium on stage 4 (Rocky Trail). Looks like a number of people have already posted their patch scores so it looks fairly achievable.

They posted two possible end dates of 60 days or Christmas, which would be either Dec 7 or Dec 25, so there's plenty of time to submit your score!

- James

1 minute ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

You bet, here's a link to the announcement on their FB page.

To get the patch you have to reach 210 miles at the end of the third race or 240 miles on the podium on stage 4 (Rocky Trail). Looks like a number of people have already posted their patch scores so it looks fairly achievable.

They posted two possible end dates of 60 days or Christmas, which would be either Dec 7 or Dec 25, so there's plenty of time to submit your score!

- James

Ahh FB. I don’t have FB, but my wife does.

Thank you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, sramirez2008 said:

@ZeroPage Homebrew James, you mentioned a patch for Rally Racer during yesterday’s stream. I don’t see any mention of the rules on the Morework Games site. Do you know what they are?

Sounds like the top few drivers (pilots, as they call them) will get a surprise patch, with a similar look to the "A New Marauder" patch.

No description available.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Arenafoot said:

Hell-o-ween hack by "Raccoon Lad"

Nitemare hack by Scott Dayton

Nitemare Pinball by Scott Dayton

Pumpkinhead hack by Scott Dayton

Zombie Invaders hack by James Catalano

Some good hacks in there, I've added the above ones. ? Thanks @Arenafoot!

- James

Edited by ZeroPage Homebrew
  • Like 1

I finally was able to watch the first part of the Friday show (BTW: I am very glad to have it back).

Some comments regarding the coming 3rd ZPH awards: 

• I like that you plan to differentiate between original and non-original games. However I can foresee some discussions in which category certain games belong. Therefore I suggest that some clear cut rules are defined and written down.
  • IMO the packaging category should be open for all platforms in the competition. Why 2600 only here?
  • Also, have you refined the rules regarding vote manipulation? (e.g. AA member for at least n-weeks/months, n posts minimum etc.)

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

I finally was able to watch the first part of the Friday show (BTW: I am very glad to have it back).

Thank you so much, glad to be back Thomas!! ? 

Some comments regarding the coming 3rd ZPH awards: 

• I like that you plan to differentiate between original and non-original games. However I can foresee some discussions in which category certain games belong. Therefore I suggest that some clear cut rules are defined and written down.

Oh definitely, we'll make sure there is nothing ambiguous to the definition of original and non-original games.

• IMO the packaging category should be open for all platforms in the competition. Why 2600 only here?

Good question, I'm not very keen on mixing different platforms together for the same award but this may change in future years. We've added another category to the 7800 realm this year due to the large number of 7800 WIPs so if there are enough physical releases from other platforms we may add more packaging awards!

• Also, have you refined the rules regarding vote manipulation? (e.g. AA member for at least n-weeks/months, n posts minimum etc.)

Yes, after last year we established some very good rules that should dissuade vote manipulations. We'll also make sure everyone is VERY clear about the rules so they're not tempted to try.

- James

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

Good question, I'm not very keen on mixing different platforms together...

I can fully understand for all other categories, where the technology plays a major role. But for packaging, the specs are all identical. So IMO they all belong into the same competition.

Developer Spotlight on John Champeau / Champ Games

ZeroPage Homebrew will welcome John Champeau (@johnnywc) from Champ Games to the stream, LIVE via video, on Friday November 27, 2020 (12PM PT | 3PM ET | 7PM GMT) for his Developer Spotlight!

We will be discussing John's extensive history of programming videogames, not only for the Atari 2600 but we'll also touch on his DOS and even Atari 800 programming! His prolific work includes some of the most pixel pushing ports from classic arcade games such as Galagon, Mappy, Wizard of Wor Arcade, Scramble, Super Cobra Aracade, Zoo Keeper and Robotwar: 2600! PLUS we will also have the EXCLUSIVE WORLD DEBUT of his newest Atari 2600 homebrew, Gorf Arcade! All this and much, much more!

YOU DO NOT WANT TO MISS THIS!

If you have any questions you'd like us to ask John Champeau during the livestream please post them in the ZPH Club thread here!

- James

983541070_20201127-LetsPlay.thumb.jpg.2b08345d11b62028135b996595261e02.jpg

• Like 5

hi James, have you considered a one episode special as a departure from your standard formula, for your personal ranking of top 20-30 (or maybe more if impossible to choose?) of homebrew Atari 2600 games?

I would love to see an episode like that, where you could count down to #1 by either playing or showing some of your memorable moments with each of these games, or share some background etc. (possibilities are endless ;) ).

Just a thought, otherwise really enjoying the ‚show’ keep up a good work!

• Like 3

20 hours ago, mika15 said:

hi James, have you considered a one episode special as a departure from your standard formula, for your personal ranking of top 20-30 (or maybe more if impossible to choose?) of homebrew Atari 2600 games?

I would love to see an episode like that, where you could count down to #1 by either playing or showing some of your memorable moments with each of these games, or share some background etc. (possibilities are endless ;) ).

Just a thought, otherwise really enjoying the ‚show’ keep up a good work!

Thanks so much @mika15! That's a great suggestion and I've wanted to do a 'Favourite' show for quite a while now. I can see doing one when there's short lull in releases and there's probably one coming up soon. I like your suggestion of memorable moments, the secret reveal of Galagon comes to mind for that!

I'll add it to my 'Future Episodes' and start adding to the list as I remember great games. ?

- James

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

@ZeroPage Homebrew
What happened to video quality in last night's show? Upstream still bad?

I will be contacting my ISP today to fix it, I should be getting 15Mbps upstream and I'm getting only 3-6Mbps, and not reliably. I bumped down the quality to 750kbps to eliminated dropouts which results in in potato video quality but decent audio.

I highly recommend waiting for the high quality YouTube version to watch last night's show, It'll be up in 6.5 hours.

- James

1397669497_UploadSpeeds.thumb.jpg.fb0503e075923817d5d3fde13814830d.jpg

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

BTW: Why did you always kill the enemies in Unholy, even when you just wanted to go through the screens and had no interest for the vase bonus.

Ah! You can't go to the next screen without clearing out all the enemies first, similar to the gameplay in beat 'em ups such as Double Dragon.

- James

Just watching the stream from last night...

• You played Plague Attack as a trackball hack.
  • Alfred Challenge is one of those games where you are fighting the controls more than the actual game. With slightly better controls, these games would become much more enjoyable. Back then, when homebrewing was new, this was forgivable. But for today's games it is not.

8 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Just watching the stream from last night...

• You played Plague Attack as a trackball hack.

Ahhh, that's where we played it, thanks! To earn the Activision patch we'll have to play the joystick version to properly qualify even though I'd rather play the trak-ball hack!

8 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:
  • Alfred Challenge is one of those games where you are fighting the controls more than the actual game. With slightly better controls, these games would become much more enjoyable. Back then, when homebrewing was new, this was forgivable. But for today's games it is not.

The controls are infuriating and were the thing that killed me most of the time. "Falling" off the edge too easily and not being able to perfectly position myself for the ladders did me in about 90%+ of the time on the game. Slight tweaks could elevate that game immensely.

- James

HALLOWEEN HOMEBREW SPECIAL

TOMORROW ON ZPH!

We have a huge number of SPOOKY hacks and homebrews tomorrow including TWO Exclusive Halloween Hacks just for the show! Make sure you dress up in your scariest costumes and TUNE IN LIVE FRIDAY OCT 30th @ 6PM PT | 9PM ET | 1AM GMT on Twitch! Who knows what will happen if you don't ?!?!

TWITCH LIVESTREAM: https://twitch.tv/zeropagehomebrew

Games:

669529021_20201030-LetsPlay.thumb.jpg.f935ca471e698c1437d2dcd991ae7442.jpg

UPDATE!! We have just secured the new EXCLUSIVE UNRELEASED 2020 WIP VERSION of Castle of Doom for the Halloween Homebrew Special stream tomorrow! Now with 57 levels!!! Thank you atari2600land!

temp.thumb.jpg.45639fbfb03c925199a6dfa0c322fb98.jpg

• Like 3