IGNORED

ZeroPage Homebrew Twitch Stream

EXCLUSIVE POPEYE 7800 PLAYTHROUGH

TOMORROW ON ZEROPAGE HOMEBREW!

ZeroPage Homebrew will be playing the EXCLUSIVE WIP Update to Popeye 7800 on tomorrow's (Wed Nov 4) stream LIVE on Twitch at 6PM PT | 9PM ET | 2AM GMT! Darryl has expanded his mini-game out to the FULL three levels of Popeye Arcade and we will be playing through the full game tomorrow with game information and background from the developer! Hope everyone can watch!

Games:

423997957_20201102-LetsPlay.thumb.jpg.02ff039dcb73292194c5afdbfecebae2.jpg

437591421_7800-Popeyev2.thumb.png.0a3e954a7b1ce8b270d88daca10c6ff6.png

Edited by ZeroPage Homebrew
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sramirez2008 said:

@ZeroPage HomebrewTrench looks really cool. What a perspective.?

Like somebody said in a comment on FB, it's hard to believe that in the 40 years of the 2600's existence there hasn't been a game made with this unique top down 3D multi-parallax horizontal scrolling perspective. Something like that is not easy to pull off effectively on the VCS, that's for sure!

- James

1 minute ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

Like somebody said in a comment on FB, it's hard to believe that in the 40 years of the 2600's existence there hasn't been a game made with this unique top down 3D multi-parallax scrolling perspective.

Maybe they were concerned about it inducing a seizure. I think it looks great, but can see how it may bother some.

"I Project" by Simon Quernhorst is quite similar, except for the 3D effect. Which is nice, but somehow looks a bit wrong. If you step through the scrolling frame by frame, you notice some surprising jumps. Probably this could be fixed easily and might make the game less irritating.

And maybe one could use sprites and missiles to make the movement smoother. :ponder: 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

BTW: QuadTari stays QuadTari (your info was very old and outdated)

Unfortunately I read incorrect information posted in the AA forums and then checked on Nathan Tolbert's page for verification, which at the time of broadcast had outdated information but has since been changed to reflect to the long updated name of QuadTari.

I'll be letting everyone know my error on tomorrow's show! ?

- James

7 hours ago, Andrew Davie said:

With the latest firmware revision of the PlusCart just released, I'm hoping you might get a chance to comment on the update.

Nice list of updates, I'll check it out during tomorrow's show! ?  Thanks for the heads up Andrew!

- James

• Like 1

On 11/3/2020 at 8:44 AM, Thomas Jentzsch said:

"I Project" by Simon Quernhorst is quite similar, except for the 3D effect.

Thanks for the heads up on this homebrew, somehow it flew under my radar! (Truly, no pun intended, I shook my head after typing it but decided to leave it there...)

We'll be checking out I Project on the show tomorrow.

- James

• 2 weeks later...

Wow! What a huge surprise last night on the ZeroPage Homebrew Twitch stream when we played the mystery 2600 game by Leandro Camara (Deep Space, Rally Racer) and it was a homebrew ABOUT THE ZPH SHOW!!

It had everyone in it!! James, Tanya, Aerlan, Darcy and of course Pixel and Atari! Check it out here in the YouTube archive!

Thank you so much Leandro for the amazing surprise and the fun game you made for the show! ?

1705136893_20201121-ZPHTheGame.thumb.jpg.c850682762891f2e117e01c37413fbd8.jpg

• Like 5

7 hours ago, sramirez2008 said:

@ZeroPage Homebrew Watching last nights replay now. James congrats on receiving your Astronomer patch. Its a beauty. 

Thanks so much!! I'm so proud of getting the Astronomer patch, it's a very difficult patch to get and it took me many tries!! Glad to be amongst good company with that one.

- James

• Like 1

Some tips for StarMaster (I used to be an expert player of this game, too bad I was not able to participate live):

You must protect all star bases for the Wing Commander patch. To do so, you have to make sure that the base at the bottom right is not constantly surrounded by enemy squadrons. The less enemies, the better. Of course you must kill the enemy fighters fast, but there is also some strategy involved. If you look at the map, you notice how the enemy squadrons move on the map. They can only move right and/or down. While you are in a sector, it is blocked. The squadron cannot move, and it also blocks or detours other squadrons that way. So you should attack in sectors where there are many enemies (less flights), which are close by (save time and energy) and which help blocking other squadrons.

Now the key trick: The same effect can be achieved by moving the cursor on the map. Where your cursor is, no squadron can move in or out of this sector! Since each sector is polled in fixed intervals, you can block all movement while on the map.

Using this trick you can even protect all bases in StarMaster level. And this will roll the score. :) 

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch
  • Like 5

10 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Some tips for StarMaster (I used to be an expert player of this game, too bad I was not able to participate live):

In the new year we'll be going back to a 2x a week format with one of the days being an earlier show so you'll be able to watch live again! ?

10 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

You must protect all star bases for the Wing Commander patch. To do so, you have to make sure that the base at the bottom right is not constantly surrounded by enemy squadrons. The less enemies, the better. Of course you must kill the enemy fighters fast, but there is also some strategy involved. If you look at the map, you notice how the enemy squadrons move on the map. They can only move right and/or down. While you are in a sector, it is blocked. The squadron cannot move, and it also blocks or detours other squadrons that way. So you should attack in sectors where there are many enemies (less flights), which are close by (save time and energy) and which help blocking other squadrons.

Now the key trick: The same effect can be achieved by moving the cursor on the map. Where your cursor is, no squadron can move in or out of this sector! Since each sector is polled in fixed intervals, you can block all movement while on the map.

Using this trick you can even protect all bases in StarMaster level. And this will roll the score. :) 

Thank you so much for the tips especially about protecting the star bases! I'll make a note of them for the next time I play StarMaster. Super fun, challenging and relatively quick game to play, all in 4K!!

- James

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

In the new year we'll be going back to a 2x a week format with one of the days being an earlier show so you'll be able to watch live again! ?

That will also be great for those of us who are just old, and think that 9:00 is late. :-D

• Like 1