IGNORED

ZeroPage Homebrew Twitch Stream

It was a lot of fun seeing Space Game getting played again. I'm honored to have my game on your faves list, especially with such amazing titles in the same group. I think that was the first time the bonus wave was shown? Only 8 more waves and 3 more bosses to beat the game if you ever want to revisit it. :-D

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Karl G said:

It was a lot of fun seeing Space Game getting played again. I'm honored to have my game on your faves list, especially with such amazing titles in the same group. I think that was the first time the bonus wave was shown? Only 8 more waves and 3 more bosses to beat the game if you ever want to revisit it. :-D

Offer a patch for completing the game, and I guarantee he'll revisit it. ;) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Karl G said:

Playing the game again and making it WAY further than before showed how awesome the game really is! Knowing now that there's an ending to the game, I've put it on the 100% playthrough list to try again in the future!

Also, if you ever want to make a patch for the game you should talk to these guys here.

- James

• Like 2

In regards to last night's show:

On 11/9/2017 at 3:32 PM, SpiceWare said:

Thank you! I plan to look into Sinistar, but have a few other things on my plate I'd like to take care of before then.

Sadly RL has kept me away from 2600 projects of late, and I don't foresee that changing for at least a couple months.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

@ZeroPage Homebrew James, any news about your own game?

I'm constantly thinking about it and looking forward to working on it some more, there's just so many things happening right now it's hard to set aside some time. Very soon I hope!

3 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Also, didn't you want to come back to Boulder Dash eventually?

Yes, that is definitely on the roster coming up. I'll have to practice offline a bunch as I can confidently say that I'm genuinely terrible at it and I've got video to prove it! ?

- James

Regarding your Encaved problem: Its not your console, but the game itself. It never clears the TIA registers correctly and assumes they are all 0. However VDELP0 is set to 1 by the Harmony Cart. So if you enable VDELP0 in Stella's debugger, you can replicate the title screen and in game issues 100%.

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch

20 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Regarding your Encaved problem: Its not your console, but the game itself. It never clears the TIA registers correctly and assumes they are all 0. However VDELP0 is set to 1 by the Harmony Cart. So if you enable VDELP0 in Stella's debugger, you can replicate the title screen and in game issues 100%.

Phew, thanks Thomas, I thought I was going crazy! Just tried it out on Stella and it behaved just like on my console. ?

I've seen your type of comment made a number of times where people aren't clearing memory/registers resulting in weird behaviour on real machines. There really should be a list of 'best practices' made for programming on the Atari 2600 so people don't fall into traps like this. Perhaps there's already one out there.

- James

2 hours ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

I've seen your type of comment made a number of times where people aren't clearing memory/registers resulting in weird behaviour on real machines. There really should be a list of 'best practices' made for programming on the Atari 2600 so people don't fall into traps like this. Perhaps there's already one out there.

Unfortunately, some games are developed privately, and don't get the kind of feedback that would address those sorts of issues prior to their release.

• Like 1

Developer Spotlight on

John Champeau / ChampGames

ZeroPage Homebrew will welcome John Champeau (@johnnywc) from ChampGames to the stream, LIVE via video, THIS FRIDAY December 18, 2020 (6PM PT | 9PM ET | 2AM GMT) for his Developer Spotlight!

We will be discussing John's extensive history of programming videogames, not only for the Atari 2600 but we'll also touch on his DOS and even Atari 800 programming! His prolific work includes some of the most pixel pushing ports from classic arcade games such as Galagon, Mappy, Wizard of Wor Arcade, Scramble, Super Cobra Aracade, Zoo Keeper and Robotwar: 2600! PLUS we will also have the EXCLUSIVE WORLD DEBUT of his newest Atari 2600 homebrew, Gorf Arcade! All this and much, much more!

YOU DO NOT WANT TO MISS THIS!

If you have any questions you'd like us to ask John Champeau during the livestream please post them below or in the ZeroPage Homebrew Club thread!

- James

1561494748_20201218b-LetsPlay.thumb.jpg.9562328bed464e7293cecead2ab65fdb.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

I am not aware of written down best practices, but we have several tutorials at AtariAge, so I suppose the info is all there. And for this special case "macro.h" contains a convenient macro for clearing TIA and RAM registers correctly.

9 hours ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

ZeroPage Homebrew will welcome John Champeau (@johnnywc) from ChampGames to the stream, LIVE via video, THIS FRIDAY December 18, 2020 (6PM PT | 9PM ET | 2AM GMT) for his Developer Spotlight!

Too bad I can't be there live. Looking forward to next year.

• Like 1

On 12/13/2020 at 5:17 PM, spspspsp said:

@ZeroPage Homebrew, what controller are you using in your PlusCart video? My uncle was watching that to set up the PlusCart I made for him, and he thought that was a spiffy controller.

I think I might have answered your question via Facebook but I'll copy/paste it here for everyone else to see as well:

Do you mean the clear case joystick I was using? Although I love the feel of it and how clicky it is, I'm not sure I'd 100% recommend it as I've had issues with it.

- The edges are a bit rough and tend to dig into your hand after a few hours playing
- The cord is starting to show it's bare wires outside of the black cable that connects to the joystick.
- The assembly is a bit finicky and taking it apart for any maintenance is a little finicky as well.
- The joystick tends to stick a bit in a direction after you press it

If you're not put off by any of that, here's where you can buy it:
https://monsterjoysticks.com/retro-gaming-joystick-kits/8-16bit-retro-joystick-kits

- James
  • Thanks 1

Poor Ballblazer cart. To think decades ago it awoke on the production line, thinking of how it would go on to be played and enjoyed by kids for years to come, only to wind up unloved and forgotten, then being horribly ripped open and gutted like a dead frog in a high school biology class.

Of course, the Pokey is perfectly happy since it will go and continue to be enjoyed, and couldn't care less about the dead, discarded, rotting husk of the Ballblazer cart. Thus the dichotomy of the situation.

(This is what happens when you spend too much time anthropomorphizing old video game consoles for a comic strip.)

• Like 3