IGNORED

ZeroPage Homebrew Twitch Stream

Thank you everyone who tuned in to the fun interview with John Champeau (Champ Games) Developer Spotlight and Gorf Arcade reveal on Friday's ZPH show!

We've now done a Developer Spotlight on:

• Thomas Jentzsch
  • Darrell Spice Jr.
  • John Champeau

Who should we do one on next? ?

- James

(WATCH AT 1080P60 FOR FULL QUALITY)

• Like 2

I vote for Andrew Davie too.

Here's my list for future Spotlights in alphabetical order.

• Bob DeCrescenzo (PacManPlus)
  • Chris Walton (cd-w)
  • Jeff Johnson (Omegamatrix)
  • Mike Saarna (RevEng)
  • Vladimir Zúñiga (vhzc)

Note: I don't know how hard it would be to reach him, but I would love for you to do an interview with Manuel Rotschkar. I have several of his games (Colony 7, Crazy Balloon, Gunfight, Seawolf & Star Fire) and would love to know how he got started and if he's still coding.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Oh this is a great list - Bob DeCrescenzo would be another!

3 hours ago, TwentySixHundred said:

Fred - Batari

Mike - Reveng

Andrew - Andrew Davie

In no particular order just a list of those id like to see.

Really enjoyed John interview also thanks James ?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Wow. I was a bit surprised when Steve mentioned me above, and figured it was mostly a thoughtful kindness, not wanting to leave me out. Now more mentions... My heart grew two sizes this day! :grin:

I'll make the observation on James' behalf that I don't really fit the show's spotlight mold; I have just a handful of homebrew titles, due to spending a good chunk of my hobby time on tools for devs. Though I certainly do feel a bit of pride every time I watch the show and see a bB game using the title screen kernel, or one of the many kick-ass 7800basic games.

Lots of good spotlight suggestions so far. Bob DeCrescenzo could fill out a couple shows. ?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RevEng said:

I'll make the observation on James' behalf that I don't really fit the show's spotlight mold; I have just a handful of homebrew titles, due to spending a good chunk of my hobby time on tools for devs.

I'm reminded of the BASF commercial: "We don't make the homebrews; we make them cooler!"

Also, you could easily fill a show with the 7800 homebrews that simply wouldn't exist without 7800Basic.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Yeah id really enjoy to see Mike on the show, especially about 7800basic in general. Im that person that likes to read the readme file included with tools and emulators created by the author :) I once watched an hour long youtube video that was audio only of Steve Snake the creator of Kega Fusion (Genesis Emulator) and was glued to my seat the whole time.

Im sure i would have a boatload of pre-show questions that could fill a 3 hour show lol. After all like Karl was saying, 90% of 7800 homebrew wouldn't exist without your hard work ?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

17 hours ago, sramirez2008 said:

I’d also like to hear an interview with Matt (mksmith). I’d be interested in hearing about the team at ChunkyPixel Games, as well as, the Atari Dev Studio for Homebrew Development.?

Definitely! Matt is one i really should have added to the list. Not sure how it would work but an idea would be to have a 3 way show with the "Tool Creators". So have Fred (if possible), Mike and Matt all on the stream talking about the development tools us homebrew developers use.

It would be slightly different, however i still find the tools we use and their creators play a very important part in the homebrew scene. And without the ZPH show we many never get the chance to see such interviews.

There is many of us developers that watch the show and have questions along with interest of how the tools themselves are created. Whether that be obstacles, background history, motivation, further development plans, why, what, when and how ect ect.

Anyway you bet your bottom dollar id be over the moon to watch them all on the show.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The interviews are really interesting, thanks for doing them James. I'd love to see/hear Mike "in the hot seat" :). For me it's not just about the games but the process and the tools too. @TwentySixHundred's idea is a good one too.

If it wasn't for the tools to make the systems accessible, I wouldn't have started with BB or tried out 7800Basic (props to Visual BB, Atari Dev Studio as well).

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Not sure how it would work but an idea would be to have a 3 way show with the "Tool Creators". So have Fred (if possible), Mike and Matt

This would be cool?

2 hours ago, Muddyfunster said:

If it wasn't for the tools to make the systems accessible, I wouldn't have started with BB or tried out 7800Basic (props to Visual BB, Atari Dev Studio as well).

And some of my favorite homebrews would not exist.☹️

And without the ZPH show we many never get the chance to see such interviews

ZPH has done a great job with these interviews! They have also done an amazing job in general (the show itself, their presence on AA forums and The Atari Awards). The show has become a community within our community as evidenced by the ever growing number of attendees. It’s a great space for all of us to gather and geek out.?

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Wow, great suggestions, thank you so much everyone! Keep in mind that some of these people may not be comfortable on camera (or even audio) so an interview might not be possible. Here's the full compiled list:

On 12/22/2020 at 3:03 AM, mksmith said:

Really enjoyed John interview also thanks James ?

Thank you so much Matt! I try to ask question that may not have been asked before or not in quite the same way so it will provide a unique perspective on the work the person does.

10 hours ago, TwentySixHundred said:

Definitely! Matt is one i really should have added to the list. Not sure how it would work but an idea would be to have a 3 way show with the "Tool Creators". So have Fred (if possible), Mike and Matt all on the stream talking about the development tools us homebrew developers use.

I think that this might be a good way to have a discussion with community contributors that share a common thread, great suggestion!!

7 hours ago, sramirez2008 said:

ZPH has done a great job with these interviews! They have also done an amazing job in general (the show itself, their presence on AA forums and The Atari Awards). The show has become a community within our community as evidenced by the ever growing number of attendees. It’s a great space for all of us to gather and geek out.?

Thank you so much! I REALLY appreciate this type of feedback to help reassure me that what I'm doing is contributing back in a positive way for the community. It's the least I can do for the endless hours of entertainment that all the incredible game developers have given us. It's a really fun gathering point every week to turn on the stream knowing there's a group of people tuning in that are just as enthusiastic as I am about these amazing new homebrew games. ?

5 hours ago, sramirez2008 said:

Your going to be busy James?

I think I'm going to be!

- James

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I feel really honored to be mentioned, but I only have two games published and sadly I think my  self-taught English is not good enough for an interview.

I join the popular clamour for a RevEng interview. I'd really like to know more about the work of the guy that made possible that me and another developers start to develop for the 7800.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Lillapojkenpåön said:

A couple people including myself also suggested Dennis Debro in the twitch chat, and it would be fun if you could get seemo ?

Another solid choice. Maybe a poll would be a good way to pick the next person among the suggested names? 

• Like 1

He could just start asking them all now, and see what their schedules are like. That would also give the programmers (and James) more time to prepare.

With the Homebrew Awards coming up, I don't think James will want to do a spotlight until after recovering from that anyway. ;) 

• Like 2

On 12/25/2020 at 5:05 PM, Nathan Strum said:

He could just start asking them all now, and see what their schedules are like. That would also give the programmers (and James) more time to prepare.

With the Homebrew Awards coming up, I don't think James will want to do a spotlight until after recovering from that anyway. ;) 

Exactly, I'll probably start asking people from the list after the Homebrew Awards as preparing for that that will be taking up all my free time for the next 6 weeks. ? 

Looking forward to doing more Developer Spotlights!

- James

• Like 1

On 12/25/2020 at 12:42 PM, Lillapojkenpåön said:

A couple people including myself also suggested Dennis Debro in the twitch chat, and it would be fun if you could get seemo ?

I'll add Dennis Debro to my list. ?

Seemo would be incredible and I've reached out to them in every way possible that I've been able to find and there's been no response. Seemo will remain a mystery for now...

- James

• Confused 1

TWO EXCLUSIVE WORLD PREMIERES TONIGHT!

Happy New Year! Tonight we have an surprise NYE ZPH show!

I just finished modding my Atari 7800 with s-video (read the blog here) and the video output is INCREDIBLE! So I thought I'd get in one more stream before the new year and show off the new Concerto Cart! Also, why not have TWO EXCLUSIVE WORLD PREMIERES of Atari 7800 games to show off on the new system! You don't want to miss this, we'll be playing the incredible new homebrew games Chase and UniWarS!

ZeroPage Homebrew will stream LIVE tonight (Thu Dec 31) on Twitch at 6PM PT | 9PM ET | 2AM GMT! Hope everyone can watch!

Games:

2080786847_20201231-LetsPlay.thumb.jpg.b79bd48b1c6872ecfbcb1cfa124f0614.jpg

7800-Chase.thumb.png.fc1f55eb21cbddd271c9d7654fc61a1a.png    7800-UniWarS.thumb.png.2de553f9ec5f2643ab5aa1a688a8db5d.png

• Like 1