IGNORED

ZeroPage Homebrew Twitch Stream

13 minutes ago, D Train said:

I remember when I was little, I used to only eat the marshmallows from my Lucky  Charms breakfast! | Lucky charms marshmallows, Lucky charms cereal, Lucky  charm

this is what today's youth are cursed with.  and this doesn't even include the unicorns!

So wait... what are all those?

Let me see if I can guess without looking it up.

Yellow... rubber ducky? Blue moon. Rainbow. Umm... graffitied British phone booth? Leaking storage jar? No idea.

Red... whoopee cushion? Pretty sure the next one is supposed to be a purple horseshoe, because I doubt they'd make "dog poo" a marshmallow shape. Then pink heart. And finally a green spittoon with a clover on it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

it's a mystery for me also.  I had to look them up.  the rubber ducky is a "pot of gold."  the british phone booth with graffiti is a "shooting star."

the whoopie cushion is a "red balloon"; very close!  and the green spittoon is actually a leprechaun's "hat."

what's really weird about this is that I go through a couple of boxes of lucky charms a year, usually while I am on vacation and have time to ponder the box and the contents.  and I had NO IDEA that there were eight mini marshmallows in there.  I still thought that they were pink hearts, orange stars, yellow moons and green clovers, with the occasionally guest star.  the blue diamond has been around since 1975 (!) and the purple horseshoe since 1993 (!).

Just a heads up that there will be a HUGE ANNOUNCEMENT (as well as awesome games) tonight (Tue Mar 9, 2021) on the ZeroPage Homebrew stream on Twitch at 6PM PT | 9PM ET | 2AM GMT!

Games:

1893496707_20210309-LetsPlay.thumb.jpg.04c46042fa04093233d76b82f030fb2d.jpg

Roughed out a mockup for Starving Starving Rhinos, basic object layout structure and a rough 4:3 test. Haven't started learning BB yet but I think this is a little beyond that scope anyway heh. If anyone wants to take it further let me know.

SSR01_Stretch.png

SSR01.png

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, BladeJunker said:

Roughed out a mockup for Starving Starving Rhinos, basic object layout structure and a rough 4:3 test. Haven't started learning BB yet but I think this is a little beyond that scope anyway heh. If anyone wants to take it further let me know.

Oh wow!! That's awesome @BladeJunker!!

You may want to make it so there are just two Rhinos side by side at the top and the bottom to reduce the amount of flicker, as the 2600 can only handle two sprites on the same horizontal line at a time. This would make for two Rhinos on each of the four edges, which is much easier for the 2600 to draw.

The marbles could be drawn using either be playfield or balls. By using playfield you can have unlimited marbles on the board but they would move around in 4 pixel chunks horizontally. This works really well in @johnnywc's RobotWar: 2684 with the Grunts and may work well in this for the marbles, it's hard to say though without seeing it in action. With balls you would be able to only have one ball per horizontal line without flicker but they would be able to move around smoothly. I don't know if either solutions are achievable on with bB and you'd have to implement software collision for the marbles in either solution. Another method would be to add in the missiles as the "second" and "third" marble objects in addition to the ball to reduce the flicker but then the marbles would take on some of the colours of the hippos at times depending on where they're being drawn and how quickly you'd be able to switch the colour over to 'marble colour'.

Great start!!

- James

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

Oh wow!! That's awesome @BladeJunker!!

You may want to make it so there are just two Rhinos side by side at the top and the bottom to reduce the amount of flicker, as the 2600 can only handle two sprites on the same horizontal line at a time. This would make for two Rhinos on each of the four edges, which is much easier for the 2600 to draw.

The marbles could be drawn using either be playfield or balls. By using playfield you can have unlimited marbles on the board but they would move around in 4 pixel chunks horizontally. This works really well in @johnnywc's RobotWar: 2684 with the Grunts and may work well in this for the marbles, it's hard to say though without seeing it in action. With balls you would be able to only have one ball per horizontal line without flicker but they would be able to move around smoothly. I don't know if either solutions are achievable on with bB and you'd have to implement software collision for the marbles in either solution. Another method would be to add in the missiles as the "second" and "third" marble objects in addition to the ball to reduce the flicker but then the marbles would take on some of the colours of the hippos at times depending on where they're being drawn and how quickly you'd be able to switch the colour over to 'marble colour'.

Great start!!

- James

Yeah it's a bit much with five/six Player objects wide but thought maybe up to six might work. So much easier with four players, with eight I was just trying to fit them on screen together at all. ? I guess six players would still be good, btw my QuadTari came and it looks sweet, very nice build quality. :)

Was thinking that with the PF, a lot of marbles to render and the middle rhinos need M0 and M1 to stretch their necks horizontally without more Player objects added.

True I think BL could be used within the ball cluster too, some finer movements. Was maybe going to smooth the score characters with it but they read fine without it. Was hard to fit a score in at all with now height so it only goes to 9, mainly getting a color interrupt in two places is hard but color is the only identity they have from each other.

Thanks. I'll give it try when I get to bB if I can but would rather consult and make art on it.

6 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

IMO the problem is that all eight Rhinos will meet in the middle, and that will cause hefty flicker.

Yeah been a while since I played HHH lol, tried to limit their neck length so never actually meet in the center and overlap too much with each other. Not sure how well that will work with that game, maybe the center repels balls outward. Don't need to tell you it's hard to get eight players on screen. :)

28 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

IMO the problem is that all eight Rhinos will meet in the middle, and that will cause hefty flicker.

If you space it out so that no Rhino (with its neck stretched out) crosses another you could make it work. Here's a quick and dirty mockup based on the drawing above:

image.thumb.png.f266098f417cf8358dc1155a6d2d900c.png

- James

Edited by ZeroPage Homebrew
  • Like 1

EXCLUSIVE WORLD PREMIERE OF CIRCUS CONVOY!
from David Crane, Garry Kitchen and Dan Kitchen
ON ZEROPAGE HOMEBREW!

LIVE INTERVIEW with Audacity Games on ZeroPage Homebrew!
Friday March 12 @ 4PM PT/7PM ET/12AM GMT

ZeroPage Homebrew has the EXCLUSIVE LIVE INTERVIEW with Audacity Games comprising of the masters of the Atari 2600: David Crane, Garry Kitchen and Dan Kitchen. We will also be DEBUTING their new game CIRCUS CONVOY on the show!

YOU DON'T WANT TO MISS THIS! TUNE IN LIVE AND HAVE YOUR QUESTIONS READY!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:
EXCLUSIVE WORLD PREMIERE OF CIRCUS CONVOY!
from David Crane, Garry Kitchen and Dan Kitchen
ON ZEROPAGE HOMEBREW!

LIVE INTERVIEW with Audacity Games on ZeroPage Homebrew!
Friday March 12 @ 4PM PT/7PM ET/12AM GMT

ZeroPage Homebrew has the EXCLUSIVE LIVE INTERVIEW with Audacity Games comprising of the masters of the Atari 2600: David Crane, Garry Kitchen and Dan Kitchen. We will also be DEBUTING their new game CIRCUS CONVOY on the show!

YOU DON'T WANT TO MISS THIS! TUNE IN LIVE AND HAVE YOUR QUESTIONS READY!

Wait... so does this mean you're delaying the big secret reveal you were supposed to be showing on Friday again? :roll: 

;) 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, BladeJunker said:

SSR01_Stretch.png

SSR01.png

Those hippos are looking very much like an 'old man johnson' at first glance ?

Cool concept though, look forward to seeing how it plays out.

• Haha 2

Just watched the show. Tanya did a lot of VROOM! AI plays without noticing. :D I guess I will make the computer players more obvious.

The computer boost flashing is just a result of the AI. It randomly presses when the cars are over a boost.

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch

9 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Just watched the show. Tanya did a lot of VROOM! AI plays without noticing. :D I guess I will make the computer players more obvious.

No wonder she was beating me some of the time. ? Might a good idea to put another indicator or a DING! to let players know they've 'registered' their car.

9 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

The computer boost flashing is just a result of the AI. It randomly presses when the cars are over a boost.

Ahhhh, okay! I thought the AI were doing something I was missing because of the flashing at the beginning. Tapping the button certainly didn't help my speed.

- James

FIRST SNEAK PEEK AT CIRCUS CONVOY!!

Check out these incredible first screenshots sent to me from Audacity Games of the some of the graphics you'll encounter in their upcoming Atari 2600 release of Circus Convoy!!

Don't forget to tune in this FRIDAY to ZeroPage Homebrew for the EXCLUSIVE PREMIERE OF CIRCUS CONVOY and LIVE INTERVIEW with David Crane (Pitfall), Garry Kitchen (Keystone Kapers) & Dan Kitchen (Crackpots)!

Friday March 12th @ 4PM PT/7PM ET/12AM GMT

1734516047_20210310-SneakPeekCircusConvoy.thumb.jpg.f12023e3989f78b2847e7f38c3fd92cb.jpg

• Like 6

CIRCUS CONVOY TRAILER POSTED!

Tune in this FRIDAY to ZeroPage Homebrew for the EXCLUSIVE PREMIERE OF CIRCUS CONVOY from Audacity Games and LIVE INTERVIEW with David Crane (Pitfall), Garry Kitchen (Keystone Kapers) & Dan Kitchen (Crackpots)!!!!

Friday March 12th @ 4PM PT/7PM ET/12AM GMT
https://www.twitch.tv/zeropagehomebrew/

• Like 4

If you have any questions for David Crane, Garry Kitchen or Dan Kitchen about Audacity Games, Circus Convoy, the tech behind the new cartridge or anything else you might want to know, make sure you head on over to this thread so I can ask them during the interview on Friday's ZPH stream! ?

- James

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SpiceWare said:

Well done!

Thanks so much Darrell! I did my best to represent the community and the great things going here on their podcast. ?

- James

EDIT: Thanks for posting the podcast! Things have been so hectic this week with the special stream with Audacity Games coming up this Friday that I completely forgot to post it here!

• Like 1