IGNORED

ZeroPage Homebrew Twitch Stream

Lol Matt.  I’m expecting an Arkanoid t-shirt when the game comes out. The back of the shirt can list the City of Austin Tx. (aka AA headquarters) along with the games official release date and all of the available controller options, in rock concert format.?

6 minutes ago, sramirez2008 said:

Lol Matt.  I’m expecting an Arkanoid t-shirt when the game comes out. The back of the shirt can list the City of Austin Tx. (aka AA headquarters) along with the games official release date and all of the available controller options, in rock concert format.?

Lets hope so mate! One day!!

• Like 1

On 3/24/2018 at 12:03 AM, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

UPCOMING LIVESTREAMS on TWITCH (Click Time Listing for Your Local Time)

20210501 Event: Special Unannounced Event (LIVE @ 12PM PT | 3PM ET | 7PM GMT)

I think it's one of three things:

• The original Mythicon programmers are getting back together to form a new game company. Homebrewers will specifically ask that they not refer to their new games as "homebrews".
  • ZPH will be introducing their newest co-host: Nolan Bushnell.
  • ZPH is getting a new cat named "7800". He won't do anything at first, but 30 years from now he'll really take off.
Spoiler

Actual guess: James is working on a new documentary about the homebrew and/or retrogaming scene.

• Haha 5

11 minutes ago, Nathan Strum said:

I think it's one of three things:

• The original Mythicon programmers are getting back together to form a new game company. Homebrewers will specifically ask that they not refer to their new games as "homebrews".
  • ZPH will be introducing their newest co-host: Nolan Bushnell.
  • ZPH is getting a new cat named "7800". He won't do anything at first, but 30 years from now he'll really take off.

What if it's all three??

11 minutes ago, Nathan Strum said:
  Hide contents

Actual guess: James is working on a new documentary about the homebrew and/or retrogaming scene.

I have *seriously* thought about doing this, no joke!

- James

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Nathan Strum said:

Hide contents

You'd have to discount the nineties, but it could be paired with Stella at 20 and be called Homebrew at 21. 

@ZeroPage Homebrew

After catching the show on YouTube last night, just wanted to chime in that I am another "listener."  I save the Tuesday show for Wednesday nights and end up listening to it like a podcast.  So, there's at least two of us who do this, though I can safely say that I've never fallen asleep while listening.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

What if it's all three??

Well, that would justify a four-hour show. ;) 

1 hour ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

I have *seriously* thought about doing this, no joke!

I've heard you mention it before - that's why I guessed it. (Note that he neither confirmed nor denied it. :ponder: )

I think it would be great. Glenn Saunders and I had discussed the potential of something like that, way back when he first dropped off the Stella at 20 tapes for digitizing. Nothing came of it, because logistically it would have been nearly impossible to conduct interviews literally around the world. However, technology has progressed enough now where that's no big deal. Maintaining the quality would be the key, so any interviews conducted remotely would also need to be recorded locally. But smartphones now have 4K DolbyVision cameras built into them... somehow. So a documentary like that is now well within reach.

• Like 3

ZeroPage Homebrew has the EXCLUSIVE WORLD PREMIERE of Knight Guy: Quest For Something on tomorrow's (Fri Apr 23, 2021) stream LIVE on Twitch at 6PM PT | 9PM ET | 1AM GMT! Hope everyone can watch!

Games:

1986391027_20210423-LetsPlay.thumb.jpg.bdf552f1276af55ab07ee9b5ddc1a4fd.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, McCallister said:

After catching the show on YouTube last night, just wanted to chime in that I am another "listener."  I save the Tuesday show for Wednesday nights and end up listening to it like a podcast.  So, there's at least two of us who do this, though I can safely say that I've never fallen asleep while listening.

Another "listener", that's very interesting! I did have my start broadcasting via podcasts in 1999 on the Internet so maybe I still have some of that style of speaking left over from then. Glad the show doesn't inadvertently put you to sleep, hahah, I'd have to put a warning to not operate heavy machinery while listening!

3 hours ago, McCallister said:

You'd have to discount the nineties, but it could be paired with Stella at 20 and be called Homebrew at 21.

2 hours ago, Karl G said:

You really should! I think it could be fantastic.  ? 

1 hour ago, Nathan Strum said:

I think it would be great. Glenn Saunders and I had discussed the potential of something like that, way back when he first dropped off the Stella at 20 tapes for digitizing. Nothing came of it, because logistically it would have been nearly impossible to conduct interviews literally around the world. However, technology has progressed enough now where that's no big deal. Maintaining the quality would be the key, so any interviews conducted remotely would also need to be recorded locally. But smartphones now have 4K DolbyVision cameras built into them... somehow. So a documentary like that is now well within reach.

It definitely would be a fun thing to do but unfortunately when I do something, I go very big. My recent film is streaming on Amazon Prime Video and is starting to air on broadcast TV around the world now. If I was to do another one I would be aiming at the level of production and narrative story telling of 'Indie Game: The Movie' and 'The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters', two of my favourite documentaries ever (not just favourite video game documentaries). Just coming off a very big documentary recently, I'm more interested in producing a fictional film first and possibly coming back to documentaries later. Making a film about homebrew has never left my mind for the past five years though...

- James

• Like 4

8 hours ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

It definitely would be a fun thing to do but unfortunately when I do something, I go very big.

We're all (us old-skool developers) approaching old-age now. Although reluctant to appear on video, I think for a project like this I would support and actually comb my remaining hair and even put on some deodorant if asked to be involved. I'm a big history buff - or more to the point, I hate seeing information lost forever. I fully support a documentary about the homebrew scene which should, of course, be called "It's not a homebrew, dumbass!". Would be very interesting to see the well-known "characters" participate and to explore the progression of technological developments/achievements from, say, 1995 to the present day - and the associated "controversies" they have brought to bear.

Should be self-referential, of course (a self-modifyng-documentary?) to include ZPH's contribution.  Of particular note in the community - perhaps changing a little bit in the past few years - is the general willingness for those who are makers to share practically everything - source code, techniques, hardware, binaries -- for practically no financial benefit.  As I said, this has changed a bit in recent years, and this is a part of what needs to be documented, too.

Active development on a 40+ year old game platform is something quite remarkable. Why is this happening? It's not just about the hardware, but it's the remarkable confluence of limitations/capability/advent of video games/availability of tools/ability for a single person to develop/release a game, the coming of the internet at the right time, availability of open source tools, individuals' sharing of skills and knowledge... the whole shebang.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Andrew Davie said:

Although reluctant to appear on video, I think for a project like this I would support and actually comb my remaining hair and even put on some deodorant if asked to be involved.

Thank you so much Andrew! If and when I move forward with a documentary about homebrew, it's amazing to know I have the support of the community! ?

- James

• Like 1

I want to see

It's not a homebrew, dumbass!

a   s e l f - m o d i f y i n g   d o c u m e n t a r y

18 hours ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

If I was to do another one I would be aiming at the level of production and narrative story telling of 'Indie Game: The Movie' and 'The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters', two of my favourite documentaries ever

Those are good ones but I recently re-watched MAN vs SNAKE: the long and twisted tale of nibbler

and holy cow that's a good one.

these four topics allways seem to make interesting documentaries

video games:

atari game over

chasing ghosts: beyond the arcade

ecstasy of order (RIP Jonas Neubauer ?)

conspiracies/mysteries/crime:

to many to mention but the jinx and the imposter comes to mind because of the insane cinematography

dear zachary also stands out, but only because it messed me up, like the bridge but much much worse

extreme sports:

the crash reel

all this mayhem

dogtown and z-boys

bones brigade: an autobiography

barely dead

art/music/artists:

the devil and daniel johnston

the art of the steal

exit through the gift shop

glenn campbell: i'll be me

turning the art world inside out

dig!

searching for sugarman

I haven't watched movies in a while but I remember liking those

the devil and daniel johnston being my favourite docu I've seen

there are two other documentaries I would like to see

one about todd rogers where he is honest about everything he's lied about, but that ends with him actually getting 5.51 on camera

I know it's impossible but you gotta admit it would be pretty epic

kinda like how everyone was sure thor aackerlunds claim of reaching tetris level 30 was bullshit and impossible, until he recorded it

one where someone documents themself trying to find the artist behind "the most mysterious song on the internet" 

and finding them atlast

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lillapojkenpåön said:

dear zachary also stands out, but only because it messed me up, like the bridge but much much worse

Dear Zachary is probably the most moving, intense and disturbing documentary I've ever watched. I could never bring myself to watch such a difficult movie again but would highly recommend everyone see it and DON'T READ ANYTHING about it beforehand.

Here's my film if you haven't seen it yet. You can watch it for free if you have Prime Video.

A Perfect 14: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B084ZMLR23/

Ignore the 5.2/10 IMDB rating, we got brigaded the first couple of weeks it came out with a bunch of 1 star ratings from people who definitely didn't see the film and unfortunately IMDB won't remove them.

- James

• Thanks 2

ATARIAGE DAY

New Atari 2600/5200/7800/8-Bit/Jaguar Games!

DATE: Saturday May 1, 2021

TIME: 12PM PT/3PM ET/7PM GMT

In lieu of the cancelled retrogaming conventions, the AtariAge booth will be going virtual this year with AtariAge Day! AtariAge Day will be filled with unboxing every new AtariAge homebrew title and interviews with homebrew developers from around the world such as:

• John Champeau @johnnywc developer of Avalanche (2600) & Zoo Keeper (2600)
  • Lewis Hill @Muddyfunster developer of Dare Devil (2600)
  • Thomas Jentzsch @Thomas Jentzsch developer of Robot City (2600)
  • bluswimmer @bluswimmer developer of Cannonhead Clash (2600)
  • Todd Furmanski @Revontuli developer of Dragon's Cache (7800)
  • Dion Olsthoorn @Dionoid developer of Tower of Rubble (2600)
  • Ryan Witmer  @Ryan Witmer developer of Magical Fairy Force (5200)
  • Ron Lloyd @Cafeman developer of Adventure II XE (8-Bit)
  • Jeff Johnson @Omegamatrix developer of Venture Reloaded (2600)
  • PLUS MANY, MANY MORE!

WATCH LIVE: https://twitch.tv/zeropagehomebrew

• UNBOXING OF NEW ATARIAGE TITLES!
  • LIVE INTERVIEWS WITH DEVELOPERS!
  • HOMEBREW GAME GIVEAWAYS!
  • MUCH, MUCH MORE!

Edited by ZeroPage Homebrew
  • Like 7