IGNORED

ZeroPage Homebrew Twitch Stream

WORLD PREMIERE OF ZOO KEEPER
FROM CHAMP GAMES THIS WEDNESDAY!!

Wed Dec 18, 2019 @ 11AM PST | 2PM EST | 7PM GMT!!!
TWITCH: https://www.twitch.tv/zeropagehomebrew/

ZeroPage Homebrew is honoured to be debuting the latest and greatest Atari 2600 homebrew from the good people at Champ Games this coming Wednesday! This 1982 Taito arcade game has NEVER been ported to ANY console or computer system before this! @johnnywc (John Champeau) has faithfully recreated all three stages from the original arcade game in this new 2600 WIP version of Zoo Keeper. Make sure you follow our Twitch channel so you're alerted as soon as we start broadcasting so you can be the first to see this new game in action!! See you on Wednesday!

Zoo Keeper: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zoo_Keeper_(1982_video_game)

2600-Zoo Keeper v2.png

Note: Cartridge graphic was created by ZPH and is not representative at all of the final artwork.

Edited by ZeroPage Homebrew
  • Like 2

Thank you so much to John Champeau (@johnnywc)  from Champ Games for the World Exclusive Premiere of Zoo Keeper on ZeroPage Homebrew yesterday. It's a truly incredible port of the arcade game with relentless fast paced action!!

Below is the archive of the episode on YouTube, skip to 37:26 in the video if you want to jump straight into the action!

(SET VIDEO TO 1080P60 FOR FULL QUALITY)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

ZPH is back for 2020, first show of the year! TONIGHT!

We'll be playing the four Atari 2600 homebrew games below  LIVE on TODAY's (Friday) ZeroPage Homebrew stream on Twitch at 6PM PT | 9PM ET | 2AM GMT! Hope everyone can watch!

Also, some updates on the upcoming 2019 Atari Homebrew Awards!

Twitch Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/zeropagehomebrew/

Games:
- Ninjish Guy in Low Res World (2020 WIP Update) by Vladimir Zuñiga aka John Von Neumann aka Vhzc
- Pilot X (2014) by angelsoft
- Snow Flakes 2019 (2019) by Lolkiu64
- HugoHunt (2019) by angelsoft

1132369184_20200103-LetsPlay.thumb.jpg.ae7c0d1cece60fd636dbf3c1d974b2a5.jpg

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Something at Twitch is broken, I can only see three six month old videos. But not the video from last night. :sad:

Unfortunately I was very careless with my unboxing portion of the show and put my address on the screen several times. I've edited the video and it's uploading right now. ? Looks like it'll be finished uploading soon.

• Like 1

I was sure you would be failing very frequently at Pilot X. This game is way too hard, even by my standards. :evil: The C16 original is still hard, but significantly easier to play.

With some polishing and difficulty balancing it could have become really cool.

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

I was sure you would be failing very frequently at Pilot X. This game is way too hard, even by my standards. :evil: The C16 original is still hard, but significantly easier to play.

With some polishing and difficulty balancing it could have become really cool.

It's an excellent concept (see: Caverns of Mars) but this implementation is WAY too hard, there's next to zero room for mistakes. I'm surprised I made it as far as I did, the game starts at max difficulty and goes up from there!

If it started with wider passages and got a little harder as it went it would have been way more enjoyable.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nathan Strum said:

Only just started watching this episode, and am partway through the unboxings, but there's a thread on the Hyperkin Ranger here if you want to read about some feedback/issues with it: https://atariage.com/forums/topic/299042-hyperkin-ranger-is-out/

Thanks for the link, some very decent reviews there. I knew it wouldn't be suitable for Kaboom because of the positioning of the paddle knob but would work decently well in most other paddle games. It's too bad that the Y-splitter for the Gemini controllers won't enable two paddles in the same port so it's only good for single player paddle games.

On 1/4/2020 at 7:24 PM, Thomas Jentzsch said:

The ship is just 1 (big) pixel too wide. Slightly smaller you would have a little room for error and that would make the game more enjoyable.

I created a hack which makes the ship a bit smaller. The game is still tough, but there is a little more room for error now.

Pilot X (smaller ship hack).bin

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

I created a hack which makes the ship a bit smaller. The game is still tough, but there is a little more room for error now.

Pilot X (smaller ship hack).bin 4 kB · 1 download

Thank you Thomas.  @ZeroPage Homebrew It was fun watching you guys play this game, but it did look brutal.

On 1/5/2020 at 10:42 AM, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Wow, quick work Thomas! This will make the game more enjoyable for people. I gave it a go, and it made it slightly easier, but it's still a damn hard game. ? Thanks for doing this!

23 hours ago, sramirez2008 said:

Thank you Thomas.  @ZeroPage Homebrew It was fun watching you guys play this game, but it did look brutal.

It was incredibly brutal but still fun enough that it made me want to see how far I could get, which wasn't very far!! Hahah

On 12/6/2019 at 9:43 PM, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

Non-Working RGB Light Sixer (Regulator Voltage)

Voltage 01 from broken RGB Light Sixer (1.215V)
Voltage 02 from broken RGB Light Sixer (0.0V
Voltage 03 from broken RGB Light Sixer (2.582V)

1116796703_05-Voltage01frombrokenRGBLightSixer.thumb.jpg.8b077df6ea0b126fcb759d0aa4f9f2da.jpg309350886_06-Voltage02frombrokenRGBLightSixer.thumb.jpg.4faf5f263fbd8d3c8788d25b6b9fcc59.jpg916599696_06-Voltage03frombrokenRGBLightSixer.thumb.jpg.79abfe6c27e311eb431504d8796088e0.jpg

UPDATE!

The Good News:

- Today I replaced the Voltage Regulator + Cap on my RGB Light Sixer.

- My soldering skills are not as bad as I thought

The Bad News:

- Still outputs the exact same voltages as in the above picture.

NEXT STEP:

Installing the Cap Refresh Kit from Console 5, wish me luck!! Hopefully I can get to that tomorrow or Tuesday.

5 minutes ago, iesposta said:

Suggestion:

If the DC voltage from the wall adapter is not getting to this 5V regulator, that is the first problem. 

Trace the 9-14 volts DC from the power jack with the meter to find out where it goes bad. 

Excellent suggestion, very easy thing to do! I'll do that today and report back.

On 1/6/2020 at 10:51 AM, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

Excellent suggestion, very easy thing to do! I'll do that today and report back.

UPDATE: With my limited electronics knowledge I was tracing the power yesterday, from both the power supply and the voltage regulator:

Power Supply: It's getting ~13V from the power supply, onto first couple of traces on the board. After that I lose the trace due to my limited capabilities.

Voltage Regulator: Measured at the voltage regulator it's still measuring ~2.5V and I'm able to trace that back all the way to at least the group of coloured wires connecting the switch board to the main board. It's measuring ~2.5V on the red wire. After that I lose the trace due to my limited capabilities.

So, somewhere in between those two parts is where the voltage is dropping dramatically, the bad part just needs to be identified and replaced/fixed. I have the Cap Refresh Kit from Console 5 and can replace any part that's contained in there.

Darcy will be over on Friday and has much more knowledge about this than I do so I'll get him to poke around to try and find where the big drop is.

- James