IGNORED

ZeroPage Homebrew Twitch Stream

NEW S-VIDEO MODDED ATARI 7800!

Last night I debuted by newly s-video modded 7800 on the stream last night and I also updated my build blog on the ZeroPage Homebrew Club (come join!).

ZPH Atari 7800 S-Video Build

You can check out the ups and downs of a soldering noob and how I successfully installed my own mod! Plus I still have some questions on doing some final touchups on the build you might be able to help me with.

- James

PXL_20201231_084015777.thumb.jpg.f27f5bf1f502d09cc42b1ae104cb7c26.jpgPXL_20201231_084020117.thumb.jpg.bc6369d8a5020bd888ab4056cecceaf4.jpgPXL_20201231_084053234.thumb.jpg.7c51a32a2eaa38eafbe374f6cde82e3b.jpg

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Since you were looking for it, here a keyboard test ROM.

Testcart (Keyboard Controller) (2001) (Paul Slocum).bin 4 kB · 2 downloads

Thanks so much Thomas! We reviewed the footage from Tap-A-Mole after the show and Tanya swears that she didn't press the button that it showed in the game and the video looks to prove that as well. We couldn't replicate it again but I suspect it's a combination of keypresses that she and/or I made that resulted in the wrong hammer being displayed. This could be either a hardware or more likely a software issue but I'm not aware of any combo of buttons on the keyboard controller that results in an incorrect interpretation. Hopefully it can be figured out one way or the other just in case.

- James

On 1/9/2021 at 11:48 PM, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

This could be either a hardware or more likely a software issue but I'm not aware of any combo of buttons on the keyboard controller that results in an incorrect interpretation.

From what I've learned trying to get keypads working they can do weird things depending on the implementation.

Essentially they work by setting some of the pins on the controller port to output rather than input which then charges a couple of small capacitors in the console, then setting them back to input and working out which button or buttons have been pressed by seeing if the circuit is complete and the capacitor has discharged.

The Stella programmer's guide states that a game needs to wait 400 microseconds for the capacitors to charge, but in my experience (at least on the 7800) it's necessary to wait a bit longer to get stable results, especially now that those components have aged a bit. I also found that quickly tapping the keys can confuse it, I guess by only partly discharging the capacitor so that it still reads as high for that key and then falling low when a later key is read.

9 hours ago, SmittyB said:

From what I've learned trying to get keypads working they can do weird things depending on the implementation.

Essentially they work by setting some of the pins on the controller port to output rather than input which then charges a couple of small capacitors in the console, then setting them back to input and working out which button or buttons have been pressed by seeing if the circuit is complete and the capacitor has discharged.

The Stella programmer's guide states that a game needs to wait 400 microseconds for the capacitors to charge, but in my experience (at least on the 7800) it's necessary to wait a bit longer to get stable results, especially now that those components have aged a bit. I also found that quickly tapping the keys can confuse it, I guess by only partly discharging the capacitor so that it still reads as high for that key and then falling low when a later key is read.

That's some great information and I'll try some rapid button pressing next time I play around with the keyboard tester. Thanks!

- James

TONIGHT THE VOTING BEGINS!
The 3rd Annual Atari Homebrew Awards
Celebrating the BEST in Atari Homebrew

1889925948_20210115-LetsPlay.thumb.jpg.7bc8829bab29670c8c818101391f1057.jpg

TUNE IN TONIGHT (FRIDAY) FOR THE FULL ANNOUNCEMENT OF ALL THE NOMINEES!

Tonight on ZeroPage Homebrew's livestream we will be revealing the nominees across FOURTEEN categories of all the Atari 2600, 7800, 8-Bit/5200 games released last year.

DATE: Friday Jan 15 @ 6PM PT | 9PM ET | 2AM GMT

After the show we will throw the switch and the VOTING WILL BEGIN on some of the top games of the year. Make your voice heard and vote on which homebrews are your favourites!! After the two weeks of voting concludes there will be a very special presentation on Feb 6, 2021 where we will announce the winners!

Edited by ZeroPage Homebrew
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

SIX DAYS LEFT TO VOTE!

VOTING CLOSES JANUARY 31st @ 11:59:59PM PT!

248081504_20210113-AtariHomebrewAwards-Square.thumb.jpg.a4825cf788e5b3f07026d3d8151c6814.jpg

12 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Correction for your last show: The QuadTari supports AtariVox/SaveKey. So you can use e.g. 3 joysticks and one SaveKey.

Oh wow, thanks! That's even better than I thought! I'll be sure to have all the details on all the abilities of the QuadTari before I debut it officially on the stream.

- James

• Like 1

On 1/27/2021 at 6:49 AM, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Correction for your last show: The QuadTari supports AtariVox/SaveKey. So you can use e.g. 3 joysticks and one SaveKey.

Thanks for pointing this out TJ! :)  

On 1/27/2021 at 11:12 AM, sramirez2008 said:

Can't wait for these to become available in the Store. ?

Hey Steve, I'm not sure if the QT is going to be sold through AA but you can pre-order one on Nathan's site right now! :D  

16 hours ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

Oh wow, thanks! That's even better than I thought! I'll be sure to have all the details on all the abilities of the QuadTari before I debut it officially on the stream.

Hi James!  

I'll try to summarize the features of the QT in this FAQ and will coordinate with Nathan to have something similar put on his site.  :D 

QuadTari FAQ

Q: What is a QuadTari?

A: The QuadTari is a hardware device that allows you to hook up to 4 compatible controllers to an Atari 2600.  The QuadTari has 4 input ports for the controllers and 2 outputs that plug into the 2 controller ports on the Atari.

Q: What systems support the QuadTari?

A: The QuadTari was designed for the Atari 2600 and any systems that are hardware compatible, such as the Coleco Gemini and Atari 7800.  It should also work with the 5200 and Colecovision adapters, though this has not been tested.

• Retron77:  A physical QuadTari does not work when connected to the front ports of the R77 nor when connected via a USB OTG cable through a 2600-dapter or Stella-dapter.  However, virtual QuadTari support is being added to Stella.  This allows you to configure up to 4 controllers; 2 can be connected to the Retron77 front ports and 2 can be connected via an USB OTG splitter and a Stella-dapter or 2600-dapter.
  • Collectorvision Phoenix:  not tested, but in theory it should work.  The issue with the Phoenix is that right now there is no way to play current QuadTari games that require the ARM like WoW or Galagon (this would require a compatible cartridge port, not just a 'ROM dumper' like the one used on the RetroN77).  EDIT:  I was able to test the QT on the Phoenix and unfortunately it does not work. :(  The joysticks don't work at all.  My guess is that the Phoenix may be detecting the QT as a paddle and disabling joystick navigation.
  • Atari 7800:  The QuadTari works on a 7800 running in 2600 mode.  So, you can play 2600 compatible QuadTari games on your 7800.  Furthermore, you should be able to write a 7800 game with QuadTari support as long as the 7800 game uses 1 button mode.  (2 button mode will not work).
  • Atari Flashback 2:  The QuadTari should work on a modified FB2 (one that has been modded to include a cartridge port).  The QuadTari will not work with other versions of the Flashback (including the portable) since these aren't hardware compatible with the original Atari.
  • Atari 8-bit systems:  Although there is no 8-bit software that supports the QuadTari, it should in theory be possible since the 8-bit and 2600 systems have similar controller interfaces (joystick and paddles).   

Q: What controllers are compatible with the QuadTari?

A: A rule of thumb is this:  if the controller doesn't use the paddle lines (pins 5 and 9), it should be 100% compatible when connected through the QuadTari.  Otherwise, it may not work at all or only have some features enabled.

• Standard joysticks  (up, down, left, right and 1 button) are 100% compatible.  Other joysticks tested in joystick mode are the Hyperkin Ranger, Colecovision controllers, and Coleco Gemini sticks.  The Booster Grip (used for Omega race) does not work.
  • 7800 joysticks work but only 1 button is supported, which is the same restriction when playing 2600 games on a 7800.  As mentioned above, it should be possible to develop a 7800 game that supports the QuadTari, as long as the game runs in 2600 controller mode (1 button only).
  • Driving controllers:  100% compatible.  You can use 4 driving controllers hooked up to a QuadTari.  Now we just need someone to program Super Sprint or Demolition Derby. ;)  
  • Sega Genesis gamepads and arcade sticks:  All functions work (up/down/left/right and button B) except for the 2nd button since this pin is the one used to switch the QuadTari controller.
  • Paddles:  Only the buttons work for paddles since the pins that read the paddle lines are used by the QT to enable/disable the extra controllers.  So, you should be able to write a game that supports 4 sets of paddles (8 in total) as long as the game only uses the paddle button (think 8 player Flappy Bird or 4 player pinball :P  ).
  • Keyboard controllers:  since the pins for the paddle lines are used to select the row of buttons that are being pressed, keyboard controllers (including the Star Raider and Kid's Controller) are not supported.
  • AtariVox/Savekey:  100% compatible*.  You can plug in an AtariVox or Savekey into one of the QuadTari ports and it should work, but the software needs to have specific support.  So, if you have the Savekey/Atarivox hooked up to port 4, the supporting software needs to do all it's interaction with the Savekey/Atarivox through the right Atari port AND have DUMPPORTS enabled (which enables port 4).  For port 3, all interaction needs to be done with DUMPPORTS off, etc.  With this, you should be able to write a game that supports 3 joysticks/driving controllers/etc. and the AtariVox/Savekey.   NOTE:  QT supported games like Galagon and Wizard of Wor Arcade do not support an AtariVox/Savekey hooked up to the QuadTari; you must hook it up directly to the Atari.  The problem is that the detection is done with DUMPORTS disabled but the other interaction is done with DUMPORTS enabled, so it detects for a Savekey/Avox on port 2 but reads/writes to it on port 4. ?  (I should have thought this through when testing but for some reason it never occurred to me to connect a Savekey/Avox to a QT until TJ mentioned it when adding QT support to Stella).  I did test hooking up the SaveKey/Avox to port 2 during startup, and then switching it to port 4 and it works fine, but I strongly do not recommend doing this since there is power going to the Avox/Savekey and this could damage your Atari, AtariVox and/or QuadTari.   This isn't a big deal though since they don't support 3 simultaneous players anyway. :thumbsup: 

Q:  Do I have to have both Atari ports hooked up to the QuadTari?

A: No; the QuadTari is actually 2 independent "duoTaris" that support 2 joysticks for each port.  So, if you hook up the QuadTari to the left port, you will have support for 2 joysticks only, but the right Atari port will be open for a Savekey/AtariVox for high score saving/voice.  This is the setup supported by Wizard of Wor Arcade, Galagon and Zoo Keeper.

Q: Can I hook a QuadTari up to another QuadTari for 8 player madness?

A: No. :)  The switching only works on the first QuadTari connected; any 'daisy chained' QuadTaris will only read the first joystick port, so they would act as controller extenders, not switchers. 

Q: Can I use a joystick/controller connected through the QuadTari for non-Quadtari games?

A: Yes, most of the time.  In this case, the QT acts as a joystick extender, so you can hook up a joysticks to port 1 and port 2 on the QuadTari and play most non-QT compatible joystick games with no issues.   I've seen issues with a few games (Defender being one of them) that do weird things with the switching mechanism or paddle pins even though they are joystick games.

Also, since the QT does not support paddles or keyboard controllers, paddles and keyboard controllers do not work through the QuadTari with paddle/keyboard games.  However, Indy 500 does work with driving controllers hooked up to the QT since driving controllers are supported. :thumbsup: 

Harmony support:  You can use a joystick connected to a QuadTari to navigate the Harmony menu with one caveat; you must use a joystick hooked up to port 3.  Once the game starts, you can then use the joystick hooked up to port 1 as normal.  The reason is that the Harmony software supports both joysticks and paddles to navigate; it would appear that the reading of the joystick port is being done while DUMPPORTS is enabled (reading the paddles) so the QT activates joystick ports 3 and 4.  Perhaps the Harmony team will modify the BIOS at some point to read the joystick ports with DUMPPORTS low which would fix the issue; until then there is a workaround. :thumbsup:  

Q: What games support the QuadTari?

A: The following games have support for the QuadTari.  This doesn't necessarily mean that the game supports 4 players; QT support explicitly means that the game takes advantage of ports 3 and 4 in some capacity.

Wizard of Wor Arcade (Champ Games):  Supports the QuadTari connected to the left port for Joysticks 1 and 3.  This allows you to hook up a Savekey or AtariVox to the right port for high score saving/Atarivox voice.  This allows 2 player co-op with Savekey/Voice. :music:  

Galagon (Champ Games):  Supports the QuadTari connected to the left port for Joysticks 1 and 3, freeing up the right port for the SaveKey.   This allows for 2 player co-op with Savekey.  It also allows for 2 player alternating with each player using their own joystick, along with Savekey for saving high scores.

Zoo Keeper (Champ Games):  Same as Galagon, except Zoo Keeper doesn't have a co-op mode, so the QT benefit is allowing 2 player alternating with 2 joysticks and Savekey support.

QuadGames (written by Nathan Tolbert): Supports 4 players using 4 joysticks.

Upcoming games:

Gorf Arcade (Champ Games):  2 player alternating with 2 joysticks plus Savekey for high scores.

RobotWar:2684 (Champ Games):  2 joysticks + Savekey: 1 player with 2 joysticks, 2 player alternating, or 2 player co-op (1 joystick each) with high score saving;   4 joysticks for 2 player co-op, each with 2 joysticks for moving and firing (you can also play 4 player with this mode, with 2 players moving and 2 players firing... it's quite a blast! :D )

Lady Bug Arcade (Champ Games):  2 player alternating with 2 joysticks plus Savekey for high scores.  There also may be a co-op mode added (not decided yet).

Champ Sports Baseball (Champ Games):  4 joysticks which will allow 2 players per team.  Champ Games plans on adding 4-player QuadTari support for all sports games (Champ Sports Hockey is planned after CS Baseball)

If I got any details wrong or anything needs clarification, let me know and I can edit this!  I (or Nathan Tolbert @gauauu) should probably create a separate topic for the QT somewhere and hopefully we can have it pinned.

Hope that helps! 

John

Edited by johnnywc
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, johnnywc said:

Hey Steve, I'm not sure if the QT is going to be sold through AA but you can pre-order one on Nathan's site right now! :D

Ordered! Bit the Chili.?  Thanks for letting us know. I didn't think they were available for sale yet.?

Edited by sramirez2008
Bit the Chili
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, johnnywc said:

Atari 7800:  The QuadTari works on a 7800 running in 2600 mode.  So, you can play 2600 compatible QuadTari games on your 7800.

Excellent!

34 minutes ago, johnnywc said:

Atari Flashback 2:  The QuadTari should work on a modified FB2 (one that has been modded to include a cartridge port).  The QuadTari will not work with other versions of the Flashback (including the portable) since these aren't hardware compatible with the original Atari.

Can't wait to try this with my modified FB2 as well.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, sramirez2008 said:

Ordered! Thanks for letting us know. I didn't think they were available for sale yet.?

You're welcome!  I didn't know either until I saw James' post on FB this morning.  ;)  

25 minutes ago, sramirez2008 said:

Can't wait to try this with my modified FB2 as well.

Great - let me know how it goes!  It should in theory work with an unmodified one also; the only thing is that there are no QuadTari compatible ROMs on the FB2 so it would only act as a joystick extender, but it would be interesting to know if that works too!  (I have an FB2 in storage I'll dig out and try, but if it works on a modified one with a cart it will work on an unmodified one too).

1 hour ago, johnnywc said:

Champ Sports Baseball (Champ Games):  4 joysticks which will allow 2 players per team.  Champ Games plans on adding 4-player QuadTari support for all sports games (Champ Sports Hockey is planned after CS Baseball)

This is going to be fun. I'll need to enlist the whole family to test. Btw, the CIB needs to include an option for a Champ Sports Baseball jersey too. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, johnnywc said:

I'll try to summarize the features of the QT in this FAQ and will coordinate with Nathan to have something similar put on his site.  :D 

Thank you so much for all the information John! I was going to reach out to you and Nathan before doing the upcoming show featuring the QuadTari, probably the first show back after the Atari Homebrew Awards. ?

2 hours ago, johnnywc said:
  • AtariVox/Savekey:  100% compatible*.  You can plug in an AtariVox or Savekey into one of the QuadTari ports and it should work, but the software needs to have specific support. So, if you have the Savekey/Atarivox hooked up to port 4, the supporting software needs to do all it's interaction with the Savekey/Atarivox through the right Atari port AND have DUMPPORTS enabled (which enables port 4).  For port 3, all interaction needs to be done with DUMPPORTS off, etc.  With this, you should be able to write a game that supports 3 joysticks/driving controllers/etc. and the AtariVox/Savekey.

Just out of curiosity, for weird edge cases, could you hook up multiple AtariVox's?

- Port 1: Joystick | Port 2: Savekey/AtariVox | Port 3: Joystick | Port 4: Savekey/AtariVox   (for two voices at the same time?)

- Port 1, 2, 3 & 4: Savekey/AtariVox  (a chorus of AtariVox's?)

- James

• Like 1