Jump to content

Recommended Posts

For anybody who uses Reddit, I've created the r/homebrewatari subreddit for posting and discussing homebrew for all the Atari platforms. I found that r/atari2600, r/atari7800 etc. didn't seem as receptive to homebrew posts and mostly wanted to discuss the classic games.

 

I've been posting weekly compilation updates on all the new homebrew releases for 2600, 7800, 5200 and 8-bit systems but feel free to join and post!

 

- James

 

image.thumb.png.d1f6c2999463fed40d04d5486b29f15e.png

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

For anybody who uses Reddit, I've created the r/homebrewatari subreddit for posting and discussing homebrew for all the Atari platforms. I found that r/atari2600, r/atari7800 etc. didn't seem as receptive to homebrew posts and mostly wanted to discuss the classic games.

 

I've been posting weekly compilation updates on all the new homebrew releases for 2600, 7800, 5200 and 8-bit systems but feel free to join and post!

I don't use Reddit, but I read r/atari8bit through an Atari 8bit Discord server, where a bot copies the posts to a #reddit channel. I think that your subreddit could be added to AA Discord server if such a bot is available (and Al wants to support it), because it would be a very good way to get homebrew news and updates.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for doing the tribute show. I'm still pretty choked up with Nukey being gone, but now it's all about trying to keep the good things in mind when thinking of him. The tribute show helped by bringing out some of his great work and that goes a long way.

 

Thank you also for reading some of the comments. All I can say is that Nukey deserved all of the recognition and credit, and probably a whole heck of a lot more. At the same time he never sought the recognition. He was always happy to help others and kind of keep it in the background. Nonetheless I'm sure he would have been tickled pink with the show so great job on that once again.

Edited by Omegamatrix
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also wanted to say thank you for doing the tribute show. It was a service to the community for sure.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Omegamatrix said:

Thank you for doing the tribute show. I'm still pretty choked up with Nukey being gone, but now it's all about trying to keep the good things in mind when thinking of him. The tribute show helped by bringing out some of his great work and that goes a long way.

 

Thank you also for reading some of the comments. All I can say is that Nukey deserved all of the recognition and credit, and probably a whole heck of a lot more. At the same time he never sought the recognition. He was always happy to help others and kind of keep it in the background. Nonetheless I'm sure he would have been tickled pink with the show so great job on that once again.

7 hours ago, Karl G said:

I also wanted to say thank you for doing the tribute show. It was a service to the community for sure.

 

Thank you @Omegamatrix and @Karl G, it was my pleasure to honour Nukey in any way that I could. It's really upsetting when we lose someone from the community, especially someone like Nukey who gave so selflessly of his expertise. I hope that reading all the amazing comments everyone wrote it would give people a sense of who he was and the impact he had on people's lives.

 

I'm glad I could do this tribute for him and hopefully bring more exposure to the great games he made and who he was.

 

- James

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I won't be able to attend the next couple of twitch streams, but look forward to watching the replays soon.  It'll be nice to see a couple of INTY games on the show.👍 

INTY Homebrews.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, sramirez2008 said:

I won't be able to attend the next couple of twitch streams, but look forward to watching the replays soon.  It'll be nice to see a couple of INTY games on the show.👍 

INTY Homebrews.jpg

A man of good taste! I can't wait to play those two games this Friday on the Intellivision RGB stream. 🙂

 

Sorry you won't be able to make them live, but see you on the YouTube archive!

 

- James

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw you struggling with from translations regarding Betty's Issues. Google Translate has improved, but IMO DeepL is still better. You should give it a try. The free version only works up to 5000 characters, but that's usually enough. Else you can split the text.

 

Longplay of the game in here:

 

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

I saw you struggling with from translations regarding Betty's Issues. Google Translate has improved, but IMO DeepL is still better. You should give it a try. The free version only works up to 5000 characters, but that's usually enough. Else you can split the text.

Thanks for the link, I've bookmarked it and I'll use that next time! TY!

 

3 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Longplay of the game in here:

OMG, I was steps away from finishing it!!!!!!

 

- James

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just ran across this new C64 game Straight Up that looks like it could be made into an amazing one to four (w/ QuadTari) player game for 2600!

 

Using PF for the moving platforms and flicker management (or steady 30Hz) for the four players it shouldn't be an issue representing this pretty faithfully. The only issue would be if platforms are moving fast enough for the playfield to give an illusion of smooth movement while the character sits on it. You could have different PF lines of colour inside each of the platforms to represent whether you can land on them or they disappear.

 

- James

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good suggestion.

 

Smooth movement of the platforms will be indeed a problem. But I think even stuttering PF movement would work for this game.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
INTELLIVANIA AND JUMPKING JUNIOR HOMEBREWS
ON AN   R    G    B   INTELLIVISION!
 
It's INTELLIVISION DAY on ZPH tomorrow! We'll be letting the Ataris (Atarii?) have a well deserved rest tomorrow and play two incredible retail boxed homebrews on the my newly RGB modded Intellivision! First up is the incredible IntelliVania, a port of the classic 1986 NES game CastleVania. We'll also be playing a port of one of my favourite games Jumpman Junior (1983) in the form of Jumpking Junior! I played this game SO MUCH on my C64 back in the day! We'll also be taking a look at my Intellivision collection. 🙂
 
Big thank you to @-^CrossBow^- @ Ivory Tower Collections for upgrading my Intellivision to the crisp clean output of RGB!
Games:

1645172894_20211008-LetsPlay.thumb.jpg.c45fb7c131c082ca0b79290bdc639561.jpg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

Just ran across this new C64 game Straight Up that looks like it could be made into an amazing one to four (w/ QuadTari) player game for 2600!

 

Using PF for the moving platforms and flicker management (or steady 30Hz) for the four players it shouldn't be an issue representing this pretty faithfully. The only issue would be if platforms are moving fast enough for the playfield to give an illusion of smooth movement while the character sits on it. You could have different PF lines of colour inside each of the platforms to represent whether you can land on them or they disappear.

 

- James

 

 

It is the opposite of Man Goes Down! Hmm....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

It is the opposite of Man Goes Down! Hmm....

With the awesomeness of up to four person multiplayer! 🙂  Kind of a mix of Amoeba Jump with the upward jumping and Fall Down with the multiplayer platforming.

 

Really it could be made for the 2600, 7800 or 8-Bit for four people with the QuadTari or for a four port 5200...

 

- James

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, JumbleJag said:

Could just rip out the c64 assets as the bits are encoded exactly like 160a mode on 7800

 

Untitled.png

C64 gtx convert very nicely to the 7800 😊

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@ZeroPage Homebrew

I just read that you might attempt getting a patch for Starmaster. Before you start playing, you should learn how to use the map effectively. Check how the enemy squadrons move on the map and how you can keep them at distance, either directly on the map or while being in a sector. This will extend your star bases' life, especially in higher levels, since they are much slower surrounded by the enemy squadrons. By doing this (and of course excellent fighting skills) you can even save all four bases in level Starmaster.

 

Top tip: Enemy squadrons will never move into a sector which is occupied by your or your map cursor. 

 

BTW: The German text on the multi language Imagic labels is ridiculous. :D (no QC back then)

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/11/2021 at 4:55 AM, Thomas Jentzsch said:

@ZeroPage Homebrew

I just read that you might attempt getting a patch for Starmaster.

Thanks so much for the tips Thomas! Hopefully I'll be able to get at least patch #3 tonight for Starmaster!

 

On 10/11/2021 at 4:55 AM, Thomas Jentzsch said:

BTW: The German text on the multi language Imagic labels is ridiculous. :D (no QC back then)

Is it? Hahahah. They must have just had a random person in the office who "knew a little German" plus the help of a translation dictionary do the labels. 🤣

 

- James

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, some more basic tips:

  • You can use any difficulty or even the color switch for bringing up the map
  • Do not try attack enemies directly. This game is about saving energy, so you must dodge their shots and kill each enemy with a only few shots. Shot when the enemy is far away, that way you can dodge. 

Math for the score:

8000 - 500 for each base lost - 100 for each docking - star date. Assuming a star date of over 100, you can only dock twice to get over 7600 points.

 

That means you have less than 30,000 energy for 23 enemies and warping. There are 11 squadrons, you need at least 1300 for warping to them and another 400 for the two dockings. So that leaves less than 25,000 energy for 23 enemies. So 10 shots per enemy is the maximum, without getting hit that is. 

 

And the map thing is hard to explain. You should just look at the map for some minutes, where you can the squadrons moving live. 

 

Edit: I see you found some info about the map trick. Did not know about this until now. Many thanks for pointing out! Maybe now you can understand why I loved this one so much back then. There is a lot of hidden strategy in it. And I was always a nerd. :D 

 

Attached are my notes from way back then for blocking in level Starmaster. The timings should work for Wing Commander as well. Circled crosses mean where you are fighting, the other ones where you are blocking with the cursor on the map. The star dates are written besides (a bit hard to read). But IIRC all this was not required for Wing Commander, you "just" have to kill very fast and efficient. :evil: 

Starmaster.jpg

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

OK, some more basic tips:

Thanks so much for all the information, your tips will definitely help the next time I attempt it. Even with your hints it does seem pretty challenging, but realistic at least.

 

It seems I will have to understand and learn the movement of the enemies in order to get the two remaining patches because they seem to easily kill my lower right base every time, no matter how well I play. Seems that I will have to employ some of that blocking strategy for sure.

 

Thanks Thomas!

 

- James

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...