IGNORED

Stained Glass 2600

CPUWIZ

Albert said it deserves a topic, instead of a status update, so here you go. My wife made this about 8 years ago, or so. I pulled it out and stuck some LED's in it for the AtariBox taco thread.

She said she would make a custom one for anyone, who would cough up $500, it takes a long time to make one of these. Just the soldering alone takes forever. Glass is all hand cut. She has some really interesting glass sitting around.

Anyway, here you go...

post-1244-0-72940100-1521686513.jpg

• Like 21

This is quite likely the coolest case I've ever seen, on any console. Old world artisan skills meet retro tech. Simply amazing!

Your wife is really a great artist. Not just based on this project, but also based on the other stuff you've shared in the past too. :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Hey, All:

My husband just showed me this thread, and basically made my day!

Just thought I'd pop in and say thanks so much for all the kind comments on this ... was done quite some time ago, but very gratifying to hear that it's liked so well.

Perhaps I'll have to make another one, one of these days ... any suggestions on a color scheme? :)

Thanks again!

• Like 13

Soldering Level 2.0

It is quite intricate, some of her smaller crystal pieces are wicked too. I only have a picture or two of that style, maybe she can drop one here. For me, soldering needs to work, not look pretty.

Showed my wife and said make me this. She said no. She is just starting out with stained glass so it will be awhile as that is not a beginners level piece whatsoever.

Do you use it now and then?

I can tell many of those smaller cut glass pieces would be hard to cut without screwing them up..

That Pac Man lamp is awesome!

Thanks, the cutting on that was really hard. But I bought her a proper glass grinder ages ago, to do intricate curves. It's also semi 3D, if you look at it closely.

I think I am gonna ask for a stained glass taco for my birthday.

• Like 1

Is all of this done using copper foil method? I actually used to do quite a bit of that when I was about 10 - 11 years old. My stepdad and I took a class on it and he went and bought all the equipment. I can remember my mother hating all the glass dust that was in the corner of the kitchen from where the grinder was sitting! LOL. Sadly, all of my work was copper foil back then, and as such I only have piece left intact from back then. The others suffered horrible fates. I do remember my stepdad made an awesome round window of a bald eagle. Took him forever to get it done. But he used lead on it instead of the copper foil as I did. I used the copper foil since it was so much easier. And essentially safer for me to work with at that young age. I remember him pulling and stretching the lead using our doors and such in the house LOL.

Excellent work all the same! How are the small rectangular dots done on the glass of your pac-man lamp?

• Like 1