IGNORED

Greatest C64 gaming moment?

thetick1

What is you greatest C64 gaming moment? I just had mine!

I finally finished Impossible Mission on C64

It took about 35 years but I finally finished Impossible Mission! Woohoo!

Full disclose I had to cheat with unlimited time because I never had enough time to solve the puzzles.

• Like 14

Achieving a rank of Blue Max, Class 3 in Blue Max.

Otherwise, probably getting to the pretzel level in Ms. Pac-Man before biting the dust. God damn, that game is hard. :lol:

I remember Blue Max being very hard but about all I remember was cool it was to bomb the bridge and see a car run into the mushroom bomb. I'll have to try and play it now .. probably been about 25 years since I last played Blue Max.

Yea I also remember the Ms PacMan pretzel level. I never got past the pretzel no matter many hours I played.

Edited by thetick1

Finishing the Infocom text adventure Planetfall.

Wow that must have taken many hours. I never really got into text adventures on C64 unless they had really cool graphics like Amazon and Treasure Island (both from Windham Classics). I was never able to finish either. Anyway I played a bunch of text games on the Vic-20. My favorite was Voodoo castle and was able to finish it!

Edited by thetick1

Finishing the Infocom text adventure Planetfall.

Wow that must have taken many hours. I never really got into text adventures on C64 unless they had really cool graphics like Amazon and Treasure Island (both from Windham Classics). I was never able to finish either. Anyway I played a bunch of text games on the Vic-20. My favorite was Voodoo castle and was able to finish it!

I spent quite a bit of time when I first bought the game. I think I completed a little over half within a couple of months. Then, I got stuck. I picked up the game on and off about a year later. Eventually I finished it.

I never liked the graphic adventures. The graphics at the time were just too limited. Infocom's text was always descriptive enough to let you paint a picture in your mind.

• Like 1

When I finished Pool of Radiance for the first time. What an epic journey.

Yep, ditto.

BROTHERS!

So long ago... 1991, I think. A buddy of mine and I played this a lot on the weekends and we finally won the game. Oh, when time was disposable.

But my best C64 gaming memories: Gunship after school. I am not sure what drew us to do this, but I had a friend who would come over to my place after school and we would play a mission of Gunship each. Was a total blast. What a fantastic game. I later got hooked on Ballblazer.

• Like 1

Finally gotten around to completing "Mercenary, Escape From Targ" after hearing of Paul Woakes passing.

I loved Mercenary, I spent countless hours on it back in the day when I was a youngster and could never complete it.

Yes I did use a walkthrough and my 65XE but I still got to re-live those old c64 memories.

• Like 2

From BitD:

Winning the SportTime Cup in Superstar Ice Hockey and Omni-Play Basketball

Marrying the hottest daughter in Pirates!

After initially discoverying emulation

Finishing The Bard's Tale with my wife

Near past

Finishing Arkanoid (no cheating on any of these)

Rolling score in Gyruss

Scoring above 100 and getting "Kings Advisor" in Pirates!

Scoring above 600k in Lemans

I've still never finished Impossible Mission . . .

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

In the 80s, beating a game; Maniac Mansion or Champions of Krynn are probably my top two.

Today; now that I am done with grad school and have some free time, I am going back and trying to beat my old favorites; Hacker, Infiltrator, Demon Stalkers, etc.

• Like 2

Some hints can be found in the c64-wiki article on the game, along with maps for each level in case you are too lazy to draw them yourself. IMHO the key to surviving the ground parts is to put on the yellow janitor's uniform ASAP as it makes the guards ignore you unless you get very close to them. Also when you have to stun guards outside the buildings better use the spray instead of gas grenades as the detonation of the those may alert more guards.

• Like 1

Discovering that not only are the graphics and sounds in the C64 version of Satan's Hollow nearly identical to the arcade machine, so is the timing -- to the point where launching a shot on the second screen as the music ends is just as effective at colliding with the baddie as on the arcade machine. Talk about attention to detail on the part of the programmer.

Discovering that not only are the graphics and sounds in the C64 version of Satan's Hollow nearly identical to the arcade machine, so is the timing -- to the point where launching a shot on the second screen as the music ends is just as effective at colliding with the baddie as on the arcade machine. Talk about attention to detail on the part of the programmer.

Satan's Hollow is one of my favorite C64 games and I as well was absolutely amazed at how true to the arcade it is. Damn... now I gotta play some tonight!

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

After all these years, I finally stopped Elvin Atombender and completed the Impossible Mission.  I did it on the C64mini without using any save states or cheats.  Knowing what I know now, I never even got close as a kid.  I had to print out a grid the same size and shape of the music puzzle to get it done.  Even then, I still failed a few times.  One thing to note, this is a pretty long game for 1983, and the gametime of an individual game gets much LONGER as you improve.  I was playing almost 3 hour games before I finally won.  Overall it is a fun game, and each of the 3 main elements (music room, platform rooms, jigsaw puzzle) are well done, but all of them get tedious and feel LESS rewarding as you make progress.  The music puzzle is a child's memory game that quickly becomes too difficult for an adult.  At least it mercifully doesn't get any harder once you get to the 12th level.  After that time, solving the puzzle requires putting 14 musical notes in order, and it always rewards the player with a "snooze" if you complete it.  The platform rooms are nice in that they can usually be solved in numerous ways.  However, some of the furniture is very hard to reach and because the robot functions are random, you can occasionally be required to spend multiple snoozes on the same room.  Finally, it is nice that the jigsaw puzzles are difficult, but the fact that you can sometimes assemble 2 or even 3 pieces (out of 4) incorrectly can really send the player down the wrong path in a frustrating way.  My advice is to simply clear ALL of the furniture before really spending much time trying to solve the jigsaw puzzles.  Then start with the pieces that have the highest percentage of color or design on them and just do one set of 4 pieces at a time.

WP_20190622_16_37_14_Pro.thumb.jpg.a2508e15d25bd2ee7cc24575e78f2971.jpgWP_20190622_16_36_01_Pro.thumb.jpg.dbc5ffc85f7a01c178d89d3f8ae67e87.jpg

• Like 6

fantastic, Wongo!  I haven't finished Impossible Mission yet, but now that I have the Mini I should put some time into it.  Right now it's living at my office for my work breaks simply because I have more space here than at the house (which is getting increasingly cramped with my retro stuff, lol)- but hopefully soon I can dedicate the proper resources that it deserves. ;)

My two greatest moments I think were completing Forbidden Forest and BC's Quest for Tires as a kid.  Forbidden Forest was scary as heck to me!

• Like 2

There are a few tricks for Impossible Mission, one definitely is don't bother with the puzzles until you have all 36 pieces! Another is knowing (or working out from multiple plays) that 18 of the pieces are always the same, in nine pairs. The other 18 are nine randomly selected other pairs that fit the mainstays. Once you understand which 18 always crop up, it becomes a lot easier heh. My best score for completing the game is just over 30k iirc.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mayhem said:

There are a few tricks for Impossible Mission, one definitely is don't bother with the puzzles until you have all 36 pieces! Another is knowing (or working out from multiple plays) that 18 of the pieces are always the same, in nine pairs. The other 18 are nine randomly selected other pairs that fit the mainstays. Once you understand which 18 always crop up, it becomes a lot easier heh. My best score for completing the game is just over 30k iirc.

Yeah, I avoided looking online for hints.  I knew that I would be able to find the puzzle solutions online, but I wanted the challenge of discovering the details of the game for myself.

I'm glad you shared this because I did notice that there were definitely some pieces that I saw over and over again, but then there were others that were much less familiar.  It is a very clever way to give the game some reply value and make the score actually mean something.