IGNORED

Greatest C64 gaming moment?

thetick1

Finally getting OutRun to work.

I got my first C-64 in high school, around 1990.  It came with a 1541, which, as I later discovered, suffered from alignment issues that made it very persnickety with commercial disks.  Babbage's had a very generous return policy back then, and I took full advantage of it when the drive didn't like the new disk I brought home.  OutRun, the very first disk I bought for that new Commie, didn't want to load that first day, so Mom made plans to wake me up and take me to work with her so we could then go to the mall later and return the disk.  But then that night, I tried it again, and it worked!  It was about 2 AM or so when I figured maybe I better put the joystick down and go to bed.

I left a note for my mother, who mercifully decided it wasn't necessary to wake me up early the next morning. :)

• Like 3

18 hours ago, FujiSkunk said:

Finally getting OutRun to work.

Interesting, I've never played the C64 version of Outrun.  I DO remember playing Test Drive quite a bit though.  In fact, I remember playing the Amiga version of Test Drive at a friend's house and then discovered that I actually enjoyed the C64 version more.

I'm not really sure what my next C64 gaming milestone should be.  There are so many options!  Here's a weird outlier: I might try to get to the end of Snokie.  I also have this fantasy of building some Track n Field style controllers and inviting multiple friends over to torture them by making them play all of the Summer Games events with me.

Hmm...this one needed some thought.

I'm going to go with beating Raid On Bungeling Bay. Had it before I had a Fast Load cart so you wait FOREVERRRRRR for the game to load. Seeing the parade at the end made it worth it.

Runner up goes to beating Ultima IV.

Edited by H.E.R.O.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, wongojack said:

Interesting, I've never played the C64 version of Outrun.

Like most C-64 arcade ports of the late '80s, it wasn't great, but it wasn't bad.  It has its charm, and it was enough to keep a teenager up all night when he was finally able to get his OutRun fix without blowing 75 cents a pop at the arcade.

• Like 1

ISTR people dogging on the C64 release of Out Run, but I like it. I also like Test Drive and more so Test Drive II, but I see Out Run as a more "fun play" experience.  I have three greatest moments involving games on the C64: completing Pool of Radiance, winning Defender of the Crown, and completing all scenarios in Gunship.

• Like 2

On 3/27/2018 at 12:14 AM, OLD CS1 said:

BROTHERS!

So long ago... 1991, I think. A buddy of mine and I played this a lot on the weekends and we finally won the game. Oh, when time was disposable.

But my best C64 gaming memories: Gunship after school. I am not sure what drew us to do this, but I had a friend who would come over to my place after school and we would play a mission of Gunship each. Was a total blast. What a fantastic game. I later got hooked on Ballblazer.

I don't hear many people talk about Ballblazer. I played that one on the C-64 and the Atari 5200. I was so hooked on that game - and Joust (only on the 5200)

• Like 1

On 7/3/2019 at 7:46 AM, save2600 said:

Ballblazer you say? Yeah... these days, we gut the 7800 version for their Pokey chips, which enjoy the rest of their years in more deserving games like Bentley Bear's Crystal Quest, Pac-Man Collection and Donkey Kong PK.   :grin:

Ugh. As if trolling me over Zero Zap is not enough...

• Haha 1

I must really be missing *something* when it comes to Ballblazer. I mean, it's a Lucasfilm game... and a game somebody felt was good/important enough to bother using an extra sound chip on. Sometimes after reading posts like yours, I'll go back and give it a try, like I just did. But no matter the once_a_decade I play it, it's still the same experience every time... an exercise in running back and forth. Run up to the 'thing' and steal the ball. With ball circling in tow, run down to the goal and "shoot". Wash, rinse repeat. 

As far as overly simple sports games go, I get and enjoy One-On-One basketball. I get and can even enjoy Hat Trick. Yet the fun still continues to elude me in Ballblazer.    :P

• Like 3

heheheh I was just thinking about how I am either collecting a pristine cartridge or hoarding a couple of POKEYs, depending upon your perspective.  It makes me think me of how a gamer and I can look at a massively powerful system and think differently about its purpose: the gamer says, "Man! That is an AWESOME game machine!" and I would look and say, "What a waste to make that a game machine! It would be AWESOME for a virtualization server!"

My greatest moment is a memory. My Daddy came home from work and brought home a C64 breadbox with the tape deck. He had a game Like Asteroids! I played that thing till like 1:30am I was only 5 or so when that happened. I guess the greatest moment would of been being 5 and staying up late!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/25/2019 at 12:12 PM, carlsson said:

Oh! Finishing Snokie would be an amazing task, given how difficult and pixel perfect it is to play.

Man, I loved Snokie.  I never looked into how far that game actually goes, compared to how far I got.  Maybe I should do that now?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, carlsson said:

Possibly the retro game that takes the shortest amount of time to complete if you do it all correct, but longest time to complete while struggling to learn exactly how it should be done.

Mission Impossible is not that hard compared to some other games. Based on the games I played, I'd say the one with the greatest ratio of learning/completing is The Last V8. I remember it took me two weeks of training (so something between 10 and 20 hours) to be able to finish this three-minute game. At an average of two minutes per game, this means between 300 and 600 tries before being able to finish the game! And yes, finishing the game was my greatest C64 gaming moment .

BTW, I know that many people view The Last V8 as a horrible game because of its unintuitive control and its very high difficulty, but personally I really loved it. It's in my top 10 for C64 games.

Edit : Oops! I just realized you were talking about Snokie. Sorry.

Edited by Papy
  • Like 1

True, I have come to understand that The Last V8 also is one of those frustrating games with a very high entry level of difficulty. The difference is perhaps in that game, IIRC you are getting close to nowhere at first so you might give up, while e.g. Snokie at least gives you a feeling you can do it.

• Like 1

I picked up The Last V8 for my 800XL based on the box artwork and thinking as it was a higher range budget title (£2.99) it would stand out somewhat.

Hated it.

Tried it again on the C64 and far better music and it had speech, car controls seemed worse than the Atari version.

The only way i got to see much of the game was by letting it run in Demo mode.