IGNORED

Greatest C64 gaming moment?

thetick1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/24/2019 at 3:45 PM, wongojack said:

Never heard of The Last V8, so I looked up this Zzap! review from 1985:  http://www.gb64.com/oldsite/gameofweek/9/gotw_lastv8.htm

This review is both accurate, as most people would simply give up on the game after 30 minutes, and really wrong, since it's obvious the three reviewers... gave up after 30 minutes.

Just for fun, I replayed The Last V8. It took me between 4 and 5 hours to finish the game. Most of it was obviously to learn the correct path in the maze as I had forgotten it. If I had searched for a map of the maze on the Internet instead of learning it myself, my guess is I would have finished the game in about 1 hour and a half.

I still believe this game is excellent despite all its flaws. The constant dilemma between having to go as fast as possible and having to go slow to avoid crashing is what makes this game great (at least for me). Games that makes me sweat are rare (not counting fitness or dance games, of course), but the Last V8 is one of them.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
16 minutes ago, evildead9000 said:

When I finally defeated the four headed dragon at the end of Beyond the Forbidden Forest (and wasn't burned alive)!

Had to look that game up - wow! The C64 never ceases to amaze with that it's capable of. Damn fine programmers behind so many of these games. Lots of neat graphical tricks going on and the music is incredible!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, save2600 said:

Had to look that game up - wow! The C64 never ceases to amaze with that it's capable of. Damn fine programmers behind so many of these games. Lots of neat graphical tricks going on and the music is incredible!

My original Commodore 64 was in my basement and that's where I played it growing up. Usually with the lights out late at night. The music was intense! The death scenes were always jarring and sudden, and scared the crap out of me! You should definitely play it in the dark...late at night...with headphones!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't have a C64, but I have the exact opposite of the greatest C64 gaming moment; the worst VIC-20 gaming moment!

It was when I got my C2N with some cassettes, and played Slither on it for the first time, which is 5 minutes ago. I got 1 point! ONE POINT!

The I, J, K, M cursor sucks, since it takes both hands to use, and even then, it doesn't work all the time.

The point blocks move too fast for anyone to reach it on time.

The game itself isn't too good. Snake is awesome, but not this.

I finally got 42 points after some practice, but now I feel like never playing that piece of crap again.

(*goes to play Slither again*)

18 hours ago, chuckwalla said:

Completing all of the Jumpman levels after spending lots of hours playing.

NICE!  I've done Jumpman Jr, but never all the advanced levels on the original.  Heck, it took me tons of practice just to finish the intermediate levels.

• 3 weeks later...

Oh, lordy, too many to even list. Top 5 maybe would be...

1. World record in Pogo Joe (not official but beat the TG high score by quite a bit)

2. Beat Ultima IV

3. Beat Raid On Bungeling Bay (that game is nailbiter when planes and missiles and you just got the alarm your carrier is under attack and BOMB BOMB BOMB BOMB BOMB!)

4. Patch score on Toy Bizarre (I may have taken HERO as my nick here by Toy Bizarre is my second favorite game on any console/computer of all time after Speedball II on Amiga)

5. Beat Bruce Lee without taking a hit or losing a guy.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, this is a wonderful thread filled with great achievements and memories!

So, in the spirit of @wongojack’s post…

Back in the day:

• Completed The Bard’s Tale (and maybe II as well, but it was decades ago so I can’t confirm the sequel)
  • Finished Raid on Bungeling Bay (I recall a tip which stated that it’s best to go for the Black & Red factories first, then the Gray factory. This makes the rest of the mission a little easier.)

2016-Present, via emulation (I had to put gaming aside altogether back in 1999 & didn’t return until a few years ago):

• Archon speedrun in :57
  • 79,940 in Ms. Pac-Man - It’s not that high of a score, but I find the C64 version to be more difficult than other conversions mainly because I’m convinced that Blinky is on steroids.
  • 1MM on Night Mission Pinball
  • 11MM on Yie-Ar Kung-Fu (which occurred by accident as I figured out a way to beat Blues & ended up playing for 3 hours before I got sleepy & ended my run)
  • Finished Raid on Bungeling Bay, this time for the TG scoring record
  • Like 3

i commented on the thread already, but i love the continuation of the discussion.  all my C64 time now is spent with emulation (C64 Mini, hopefully the full size later next year) and on work breaks at the office. 

We had a C64 breadbin growing up and then a C128 and I would love to have an original setup with a 1541/1571 disk drive, but really space and money constraints keep me in the emulation zone.

That being said, I'm not sure I have any additional great moments, but i do have great memories as a kid playing games on our C64 both at our house and my grandparents'- I especially love Lode Runner and Space Taxi.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, digdugnate said:

i commented on the thread already, but i love the continuation of the discussion.  all my C64 time now is spent with emulation (C64 Mini, hopefully the full size later next year) and on work breaks at the office. 

We had a C64 breadbin growing up and then a C128 and I would love to have an original setup with a 1541/1571 disk drive, but really space and money constraints keep me in the emulation zone.

That being said, I'm not sure I have any additional great moments, but i do have great memories as a kid playing games on our C64 both at our house and my grandparents'- I especially love Lode Runner and Space Taxi.

I think I mentioned I never owned a C64 but played a lot on Friends computers back in the day. My parents went the TI-99/4a way which i don't egret now. But my current C64 experience is the mini converted to full sized. I am also eagerly awaiting my Ultimate 64 Elite to ship as soon as its ready. My frist two C64 computers were donated broken but I have the case and KBs to use - one for the mini conversion and then next for the U64E. Also have a 1541 I have yet to see if it works. I continue to play Castles of Dr. Creep. Current castle really difficult. My next greatest game moment; and consequently next few, will be each castle completed culminated by completing the entire game. I'm sure at this rate it will take another year or so. LOl. I feel glad to be enjoying this platform for the first now. 

• Like 2