IGNORED

Mad planets cabaret build

So a while back, i picked up a non working video poker for next to nothing. Right away i knew i wanted to turn it into a cabaret and decided on a mad planets running a jrok board. post-63971-0-24351600-1521994067_thumb.jpg

It was wider than a cabaret, So i broke it down and cut several inches off the frontand back and reassembled. The stainless CP had to go, so i cut new front and control panels.

post-63971-0-69228700-1521994312_thumb.jpg

I added a cpo and some controls, t molding and just today mounted the 13" monitor. The remaining artwork is just a cheap printout until i invest in the good stuff. This is where I'm at as of now:

post-63971-0-33848100-1521994522_thumb.jpg

post-63971-0-84613500-1521994552_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Looking forward to seeing this when it's finished. Mad Planets was a very underrated game, and you're making what is probably the best possible use of yet another video poker. Nice job on narrowing it, BTW.

Since the original used painted sideart, are you planning on going that route or leaving the woodgrain in place?

Mad Planets is a badass game that I never heard about until a few years ago when I stumbled upon it in MAME. Love the sound effects.

When I visited the Galloping Ghost arcade in Chicago a few years ago I tried the game on an original cabinet and was disappointed to find out I just couldn't play it because, to my brain, the controls are backwards.

Apparently, I've spent too much time playing other games where you move with one hand and fire with the other, pretty much all of which have the "move" control on the left and "direction of fire" on the right (i.e. like Robotron). Mad Planets does the inverse, which totally screwed me up. I couldn't pass the first screen after several tries, and just walked away.

• 2 months later...

Had some time recently to work on this. I got the remaining parts needed to get it up and running, including the jrok board. It's now a working mad planets. I just need a piece of tinted plexi and tdonthe artwork and it'll be done. The 35 year old monitor looks surprisingly good. I've ordered the parts to rebuild it just to be safe.

post-63971-0-12287200-1527385255_thumb.jpg

post-63971-0-14908400-1527385291_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I first played this game at the Texas Pinball Festival in either 2016 or 2017. Someone brought one, and it was one of those moments when you play an arcade game for the first time and realize "Oh this is a good game." Those moments don't happen very often anymore.

Nice job bringing this thing back to relevance.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...