IGNORED

Anyone else frustrated with eBay sellers misrepresenting item condition?

chicgamer

In the past, I've had good luck with eBay, and generally, sellers have been good about accurately describing the condition of items, either by using eBay's prespecified condition categories, or by detailing the item's condition in the description.

Lately, I've won several auctions where the seller either was mistaken about the item's condition (perhaps didn't look at the item closely), or just outright lied about it. In the past, I would contact the seller and either work out a partial refund or return, but it seems like it's becoming so prevalent now that I'm not willing to put in the time to contact each seller and contest the item's condition. I've always been hesitant to give negative feedback, as I like to give the seller the benefit of the doubt, but it just seems like it's happening too often. A few examples:

• A game listed as EX+NM in the eBay listing title that came in a Blockbuster case with marker on the disc
  • A game listed as Very Good that has multiple scuffs on the case and disc, as well as apparent water damage (and small tears) on the manual
  • A game listed as Very Good that doesn't have the manual
  • A game listed as Like New that has damage to the case, manual, and disc

Anyone else noticing this trend? Is it a matter of people who really don't understand game collecting becoming sellers? Are people just listing everything as Very Good or better and hoping that the buyer doesn't contest the condition?

No. I rarely ever encounter any of that. I must be really lucky or something because I rarely, and I mean rarely, ever have the kinds of problems with eBay everyone else seems to around here.

Maybe it depends on what kind of stuff you're buying?

Shipping is the one that has killed me lately. The title for the auction says "FAST SHIPPING" but the seller takes the full 3 business days and then ships with a cheaper, and slower, method than listed in the auction. . I have just stopped buying CD based games on eBay for the most part. I used to frequent a bunch of local live auctions, I have seen the condition some things show up in, and the kind of people that buy them are usually much less than reputable. That might not be the case everywhere, but it has certainly been the case often enough that I changed my purchasing habits. Sometimes it is just someone that doesn't know better, they make whatever living they can buying at those auctions and reselling. A lot of the time they don't care if they rip you off. If I buy online I want to know I'm dealing the with either a game shop, or a collector.

No. I rarely ever encounter any of that. I must be really lucky or something because I rarely, and I mean rarely, ever have the kinds of problems with eBay everyone else seems to around here.

Maybe it depends on what kind of stuff you're buying?

It is definitely related to the kind of stuff. And unfortunately videogames are on the low-class end of the spectrum. They've traded hands several times, they come from low-rent apartment dwellers, or scraping from garage sales and thrift stores and things like that.

Society overall places videogames at the low end of the ladder. That's likely related to the delinquency and bad behaviors encouraged by the medium. Games just attract that kind of mentality.

Edited by Keatah

The thing is, for years I bought video games from eBay with few issues, but my guess is that I've mostly been buying from the original owners or people who actually know something about gaming. Is it just a matter of people thinking that reselling video games is a way to make a quick buck, and they just quickly list items without really paying attention to the descriptions in the condition category?

I left negative feedback for the seller of the "EX+NM" game. Not only was that in the title, but the listing said that the game was in excellent condition with only a few scratches keeping it from being mint. However, I received a game with marker and a sticker on it, a Blockbuster case, and a manual that was warped due to being stuck in the Blockbuster case. The seller then messaged me about the feedback as if genuinely perplexed. Seriously? How could he have thought that something that wasn't even in the original case could be considered near mint?

In the past, I would contact the seller and either work out a partial refund or return, but it seems like it's becoming so prevalent now that I'm not willing to put in the time to contact each seller and contest the item's condition. I've always been hesitant to give negative feedback, as I like to give the seller the benefit of the doubt, but it just seems like it's happening too often.

I pretty much have no patience for poor selling practices on eBay. I don't abuse the function, but if something is blatantly "off" when I receive the item, it's either a Neutral or Negative for the seller. I know from personal experience that it's not hard to sell properly and honestly (good photos, detailed description, shipping via the means and speed as stated, packing things well, etc), so if a seller is going to take shortcuts, not describe things properly, be inconsiderate with packing or try to take advantage of the buyer (knowingly or not), then I am going to let it be known in the feedback section. Sellers need to be accountable for their actions and brushing issues under the rug via things like partial refunds or other ploys to retain a positive feedback rating does nothing to fix the core problem.

Just out of curiosity what is his number of transactions and feedback score?

This person actually has a feedback score of almost 59K.

Did the auction not include pics? Do you have link to the auction?

There were pics, and I had I looked closely, I would have noticed the marker and sticker on the disc. The thing is, I shouldn't HAVE to do detective work to determine what the condition REALLY is. Sellers shouldn't be intentionally misleading with their auctions.

I pretty much have no patience for poor selling practices on eBay. I don't abuse the function, but if something is blatantly "off" when I receive the item, it's either a Neutral or Negative for the seller. I know from personal experience that it's not hard to sell properly and honestly (good photos, detailed description, shipping via the means and speed as stated, packing things well, etc), so if a seller is going to take shortcuts, not describe things properly, be inconsiderate with packing or try to take advantage of the buyer (knowingly or not), then I am going to let it be known in the feedback section. Sellers need to be accountable for their actions and brushing issues under the rug via things like partial refunds or other ploys to retain a positive feedback rating does nothing to fix the core problem.

I think this is going to be my approach from now on. I get that some sellers state they don't have time to do a complete assessment of each and every item, but the discrepancies between stated condition and actual condition have been pretty egregious for many of my recent purchases. Sellers may not think it's worth their time to be thorough in evaluating what they're listing, but it's not worth my time as a buyer to have to contact them because their listings aren't accurate. I think the only way to get sellers to be honest about what they're selling is using the feedback system as intended and giving negative feedback when appropriate.

• Like 1

The thing is, I shouldn't HAVE to do detective work to determine what the condition REALLY is. Sellers shouldn't be intentionally misleading with their auctions.

This is pretty much something I do by default now, taking a really good look at the photos and scrutinizing them. It's a shame this has to be done, but it's tough to trust sellers based on the description and good faith alone. :(

This is pretty much something I do by default now, taking a really good look at the photos and scrutinizing them. It's a shame this has to be done, but it's tough to trust sellers based on the description and good faith alone. :(

I can see a reason not to I guess if you happen to stumble upon something that was just listed and it is an extremely good deal you may want to get it as soon as you can before someone else grabs it up while you are trying to look at the photos, so I can see her point of view.

I can see a reason not to I guess if you happen to stumble upon something that was just listed and it is an extremely good deal you may want to get it as soon as you can before someone else grabs it up while you are trying to look at the photos, so I can see her point of view.

But then you're liable to receive something you don't really want if it's not in the condition you are expecting. It's sort of a situation of, "You can't have your cake and eat it, too.." (..at least not without putting in some leg work). Like I said, it's a shame we even have to do this, but these days I look at it as a necessary evil when it comes to shopping on eBay.

As an aside, I think it's rare you really need to click the "buy it now" button that fast. If you do, then I'd say you're probably an edge-case/outlier example (or a reseller, heh).