I added a Bally BASIC program called Computer Art that was released in 1980 by W&W Software Sales and written by Bob Weber. It is a video art program for the Bally Arcade/Astrocade that creates random art with geometric designs and patterns.

Here is a screenshot of the Electronic Visualization Center and Bally Arcade/Astrocade Video Art Overview:

post-4925-0-54035700-1543625264.jpg

Bob Weber wrote many dozens of programs for the Astrocade. Here is some background about the company written by Paul Thacker:

"W&W Software was a very early and prolific tape software company, with programming done by Bob Weber. They released 9 compilation tapes with five programs each, along with a couple of bonus programs. The first seven tapes (that's 35 programs) were released in 1979, with two more tapes coming in 1980. These were later re-released for AstroBASIC, but there were no new releases, though Bob Weber would occasionally publish programs in the Arcadian."

Here is a 25-minute overview and video of "Computer Art" on YouTube:

You can watch or download the video from Archive.org, here:

https://archive.org/details/ComputerArtVideoArtWandWSoftwareSalesBallyAstrocade1980

The video is linked from BallyAlley.com, here:

http://www.ballyalley.com/astrocade_videos/Astrocade_Video_Art/Astrocade_Video_Art.html#ComputerArtBobWeberAstrocadeVideo

This video is broken into several parts. Here is a breakdown of the entire video to make viewing it easier to find what you're looking for in this video:

0:00 - Computer Art, Overview of Program
4:32 - Computer Art - Running the program
22:53 - Computer Art - BASIC Program Listing
24:15 - End Credits

Computer Art is on Tape 9, which contains:

Inspector Clew-So - Tests your deductive powers.
Solitaire - See if the computer can win!
TV Ghost - Goblin insults you on Halloween.
Computer Art - Geometric designs and patterns.
Clock - Turn your TV into a digital clock.

An ad from the November 6, 1980 Arcadian reads:

W&W Software Sales

We have nine tapes with five programs each, with or without listings. Or get listings only so you can pick and choose any of the 45 available programs. Excellent variety, color, graphics, use of hand controller, and much more. Games, business programs, and teaching aides for children and adults. Send 25 cents for more information and a copy of Air Traffic Controller, or SAE for information only.

Bob Weber gave permission to place his software into the public domain in his interview that was posted to BallyAlley.com on May 18, 2003. Here are some quotes from that interview:

Adam - Who was the other "W" in W&W Software?

Bob - The other "W" was my wife, Jeri. She did all the business work for the company, getting a DBA, maintaining checking accounts, etc.

Adam - Could you give a little history of yourself; of your company?

Bob - I became interested in computers at a very early age. I read a lot of science fiction and was always intrigued by the stories involving computers. I made first contact in 1967 at RETS Electronic school. They had a training computer called the Bitran 6. I was hooked from then on. I taught myself programming on a reverse polish notation calculator that was able to run 72 step programs. Next came the Bally with its unique tiny basic, and finally, the TI99/4A. I've done a little programming since then, but there is so much available on the Internet, and so little time, I have given up programming in BASIC.

Adam - Could you make this official, and donate your programs into the public domain?

Bob - All my programs are public domain. We really did not sell very many back then, and it was mostly for fun. We sold them to try and cover the expense of tapes and mailing. I think altogether we only took in about $200.00

Adam - What type of software and hardware did you use (Bally BASIC, Blue Ram, Keyboard, printer, etc)?

Bob - I eventually had it all. I had a Blue Ram, a keyboard, and a thermal printer. There was a Blue Ram kit you could buy back then and a lot of us assembled our own to save money. Those were the days, huh?

Nice interview, right?

"Computer Art" is some of the earliest computer art that was sold for the Bally Arcade/Astrocade. It's a great way to start your journey into viewing video art on this system.

Adam

• 2 months later...

I added a video overview of the "AstroBASIC" game by Chessette by Craig Anderson. This game was published in CURSOR 2, no. 4 (November/December 1980): 76-77.

This is a simple, two-player-only version of Chess for the Bally Arcade/Astrocade. The pieces are drawn to the screen and the players each take turns moving them using special to/from notation. Read the complete documentation for Chessette in the Cursor newsletter to understand the rules.

This video shows a complete, 6-move game: ending with a trapped queen:

Sandor Takacs vs Josef Emil Krejcik
Vienna blitz (1920), Vienna AUT

This video is broken into several parts. Here is a breakdown of the entire video to make viewing it easier to find what you're looking for in this video:

0:00 - Chessette, Overview of game
2:57 - Chessette - Running and playing the game
5:54 - Chessette - BASIC Program Listing
7:01 - End Credits

Chessette runs in only 1.8K of RAM. It's a simple, but effective proof-of-concept as to whether a chess game with graphics could be created on the Astrocade.

This program was typed into "AstroBASIC" on a real Bally Arcade/Astrocade by Lance Squire in February 2019. It was digitially archived by me using BallyBin/AstroWAV 1.4 on February 24, 2019. The game game can be downloaded here:

http://www.ballyalley.com/program_downloads/2000_baud_programs/cursor_basic-express/cursor_basic-express.html#ChessetteAB

Enjoy!

Adam

• 3 weeks later...

I added a video overview of RND (Art) by Super Software (Rob Rosenhouse). RND (Art) appeared in a classified ad in Arcadian 2, no. 7 (May 19, 1980): 66. A printed BASIC listing appeared in Arcadian 4, no. 2 (Dec. 07, 1981): 17. This program was free when ordering Super Software's catalog.

This program was free when ordering Super Software's catalog.

This video art program was submitted on a tape to Bob Fabris around November 1981. In addition to RANDOM ART, the same tape also contained FALLING STARS and LASER BATTLE. The latter two programs were NOT meant to be printed in the ARCADIAN newsletter. Bob Rosenhouse requested printouts of the latter two programs from Bob Fabris.

You can view or download this video overview from archive.org:

https://archive.org/details/RNDArtSuperSoftwareRobRosenhouseVideoArtBallyAstrocade1980

This video is broken into several parts, to make viewing it easier for those interested in only certain portions of this video history.

0:00 - RND (Art), Overview of Program
3:40 - RND (Art), Program Loading and Running
5:21 - RND (Art), BASIC Listing
5:56 - End Credits

Archive Note:

This program was typed-in on August 3, 2016 by me. It was converted to Bally BASIC and AstroBASIC using two Bally Arcade/Astrocade archiving utilities: txt2prg and KCS.

Enjoy!

Adam

I added a video overview of "Diminishing Boxes" by Matt Giwer from ARCADIAN 2, no. 8 (Jun. 23, 1980): 73.

The Arcadian has no comments or instruction for this program.

On June 26, 2013, Paul Thacker writes:

"This is a typical art program for the Bally Arcade. It draws closely spaced boxes that are pretty large at first, then move in to a small box at the center of the screen. Then it starts again drawing slightly displaced boxes over top of the old ones. If a pixel is drawn over, it gets erased, so you end up with a lot of different patterns. While I'm sure you get the BASIC idea, with programs like this, a video would definitely be worth a thousand words."

https://archive.org/details/DiminishingBoxesMattGiwerVideoArtBallyAstrocade1980

This video is broken into several parts, to make viewing it easier for those interested in only certain portions of this video history.

0:00 - Diminishing Boxes, Overview of Program
3:54 - Diminishing Boxes, Program Loading and Running
10:47 - Diminishing Boxes, BASIC Listing
11:15 - End Credits

This video art is simple, but the program is short. Does this inspire anyone?

Adam

I added a video overview of the Bally Arcade/Astrocade game for "AstroBASIC" called "The Gate Escape" by WaveMakers. It was released on cassette tape #18 in May 1983.

You will be moving Little Novos using the joystick to guide him to collect the "x"s and avoid the villains:

The Hero - Little Novos
Villain 1 - Go-For-It Gopher
Bad Guy 2 and 3 - Obscene Jester
Mr. Nasty 4 and 5 - Quaker Otis
The Last Evil - Morty Post Mortem

Novos appears on the top of the screen, the villain is on the bottom to start. You can re-align the gates by running into them and blocking off entire sections of the screen to trap the bad guys out. You cannot go through the center of a gate, or move if the joystick is pointed at a wall or gate center.

The villain will try to make a jump to your sector of the screen by using his transporter. When it appears on the screen you have a limited amount of time before he makes the jump. The transporter homes in on the sound you make and if you don't steal it from the villain quick enough you'll be in serious trouble.

Difficulty levels increase as you go from screen to screen by collecting all of the x's from the screen.

Each player stays on their own level and keeps their own x's on screen.

DO NOT HALT THIS PROGRAM This will CRASH the BASIC program and you will have to re-load the tape to play again. BE SURE TO INPUT THE CORRECT NUMBER OF PLAYERS BEFORE STSRTING THE GAME, using knob (1) and Trigger (1).

THE END is just that, you have used all lives (5) shown in blue or red on the lower right frame of screen.

0:00 - The Gate Escape, Overview of Program
9:25 - The Gate Escape, Program Loading and Running
17:01 - The Gate Escape, BASIC Listing
18:25 - End Credits

https://archive.org/details/GateEscapeWaveMakersBallyArcadeAstrocade1983

Review of Wavemakers' The Gate Escape
The Game Player, Column #11
ARCADIAN 5, no. 11 (Sep. 28, 1983): 165.

In this latest edition to the WAVEMAKERS catalog, the player(s) will be maneuvering a little fellow called "Little Novos" around the playfield to collect a scattering of X's, while at the same time trying to avoid the "Villain." There is also a number of gates throughout the playfield, which the player can orient to block or trap the Villain while he tries to grab more X's. The playfield is very difficult to describe, as far as this system of "gates" is concerned. (It is not a maze.) The gates pivot at their center, so that they may be positioned east-west or north-south.

Anyway, GATE ESCAPE is a very enjoyable and challenging game to play. It may be played by one to four players, with each player starting with five "lives." The level of difficulty increases as you go from screen to screen collecting the X's for points. Each new screen, or playfield, brings a new Villain.

GATE ESCAPE was well liked by everyone, though some found it hard to score. It takes practice and planning to rack up a high score on this one, and there is plenty of fun doing so. Graphics are quite nice, and the music (which is always a plus in any game) is a welcome addition to the sound effects. GATE ESCAPE is another good buy from WAVEMAKERS.

Enjoy!

Adam

• 5 weeks later...

I added a video art overview of the Bally Arcade/Astrocade program for Bally BASIC called Alchemisymmetrical Art by Barry Ellerson.

This program appeared in ARCADIAN 3, no. 3 (Jan. 09, 1981): 39.

0:00 - Alchemisymmetrical Art, Overview of Program

2:59 - Alchemisymmetrical Art, Program Loading and Running

10:19 - Alchemisymmetrical Art, BASIC Listing

11:06 - End Credits

https://archive.org/details/AlchemisymmetricalArtBarryEllersonBallyArcadeAstrocade1981

No comments or instructions were published in the "Arcadian" newsletter for this program.

Paul Thacker wrote on June 28, 2013, "As for what the program does, it is indeed another art program. It uses the line command to draw patterns which are symmetrical from the center of the screen both left to right and top to bottom. It frequently changes the foreground and background colors, often using a different palette on the left and right side of the screen, split right down the center."

Adam

Edited by ballyalley

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

3D Corners
By Dieter Heinerman
ARCADIAN 3, no. 4 (Feb. 07, 1981): 49.

This is video art for Bally Arcade/Astrocade with Bally BASIC or "AstroBASIC."

0:00 - 3D Corners, Overview of Program
0:39 - 3D Corners, Program Loading and Running
2:27 - 3D Corners, BASIC Listing
2:45 - End Credits

Archiving Notes:

Dieter Heinerman submitted five programs to the ARCADIAN on October 17, 1980. Four of them were printed in the February 1981 issue of the newsletter on one page. The last one, DEFUSE, was printed in the March 1981 issue.

Here is part Dieter's program submission letter to Bob Fabris:

You were asking for programs, so I included some that I played around with. Side 1 NT=0, Side 2 NT=1.

1. RND Boxes
2. Electronic Blanked
3. 3D Corners
4. Defuse
5. Denominator

Defuse is a game from the book "More BASIC computer games" put out by Creative Computing and was converted to Bally BASIC.

Denominator is from an article by "Stephen Rogowski" written in Creative Computing and was converted to Bally BASIC.

The Arcadian printed the following four programs together with no explanation about them:

1) 3D Corners (BB)
2) Boxes (labeled as "3D Boxes" on the submitted tape)
3) Denominator
4) Electronic Blanked

All five of these programs were archived from one Bally BASIC, 300-baud tape in the Richard Houser Collection that was labeled with "RND Boxes, Electronic Blanked, 3D Corners by Heinerman."

Short and simple; I like it!

Adam

Boxes
By Dieter Heinerman
ARCADIAN 3, no. 4 (Feb. 07, 1981): 49.

BOXES is a video art program for Bally Arcade/Astrocade with Bally BASIC or "AstroBASIC." On the program submission tape, this program was called RND BOXES.

0:00 - Boxes, Overview of Program
1:56 - Boxes, Program Loading and Running
5:12 - Boxes, BASIC Listing
5:32 - End Credits

Archiving Notes:

Dieter Heinermann submitted five programs to the ARCADIAN on October 17, 1980. Four of them were printed in the February 1981 issue of the newsletter on one page. The last one, DEFUSE, was printed in the March 1981 issue.

The next video art overview that I create will be of Dieter's program called "Electronic Blanked."

Adam

Electronic Blanked
By Dieter Heinerman.
Arcadian 3, no. 4 (Feb. 07, 1981): 49.

Electronic Blanked is a video art program for Bally Arcade/Astrocade with Bally BASIC or "AstroBASIC." The program draws randomly-spaced, various-sized boxes from the bottom-left to the top-right of the screen. The screen eventually fills with these different-sized boxes, creating interesting patterns with the Foreground and background colors constantly changing.

0:00 - Electronic Blanked, Overview of Program
5:04 - Electronic Blanked, Program Loading and Running
12:04 - Electronic Blanked, BASIC Listing
12:27 - End Credits

Archiving Notes:

Dieter Heinermann submitted five programs to the ARCADIAN on October 17, 1980. Four of them were printed in the February 1981 issue of the newsletter on one page. The last one, DEFUSE, was printed in the March 1981 issue.

This is the last of the three video art programs for which I've created a video overview in the last few weeks. These three programs have been short, simple and... FUN!

Adam

Crazyface

By Steve Walters (General Video).

Bally BASIC, 1980 (On Tape #1)
AstroBASIC, 1982 (On Tape 821)
ARCADIAN 3, no. 2 (Dec. 5, 1980): 30. (Classified Advertisement)
ARCADIAN 3, no. 3 (Jan. 9, 1981): 40. (Classified Advertisement)
Sourcebook, Summer 1982, C10, G13.

This is a video graphics BASIC program for Bally Arcade/Astrocade with Bally BASIC or "AstroBASIC"

YouTube:

Archive.org:

https://archive.org/details/CrazyfaceSteveWaltersGeneralVideoArtBallyArcadeAstrocade1980

BallyAlley.com:

http://www.ballyalley.com/astrocade_videos/Astrocade_Video_Art/Astrocade_Video_Art.html#CrazyfaceSteveWaltersAstrocadeVideo

From the ad in the Arcadian:

Bally draws a cartoon Chinaman, football player, witch, singer, and Mountie. Then Crazyface lets you mix the hats, eyes, noses, mouths and necks to create your own crazy faces.

From the ad in the Sourcebook:

Any of five cartoon faces can be displayed, or you can mix their hats, eyes, noses, mouths and necks to make your own crazy faces. Two extra faces supplied, plus instructions on making your own. Children love to play this.

0:00 - Crazyface, Overview of Program
3:17 - Crazyface, Program Loading and Running
6:14 - Crazyface, BASIC Listing
8:06 - End Credits

This graphic program is simple, but effective. It draws simple, almost-childlike-in-their-innocence, stereotypical faces of various people and professions.

Adam

• 1 month later...

Pick A Pattern     
By Ron Picardi
1980 or 1981
Unpublished Arcadian Submission

YouTube:

Archive.org:

https://archive.org/details/PickAPatternRonPicardiVideoArtBallyArcadeAstrocade1981

BallyAlley.com:

http://www.ballyalley.com/astrocade_videos/Astrocade_Video_Art/Astrocade_Video_Art.html#PickAPatternRonPicardiAstrocadeVideo

0:00 - Pick A Pattern, Overview of Program
 5:52 - Pick A Pattern, Program Loading and Running
26:11 - Pick A Pattern, BASIC Listing
27:34 - End Credits

PICK A PATTERN allows you to make your own patterns, which works... but I don't really know how to choose options that make good patterns.  The random element (option 2 on the menu) makes some of the most random, ultra-cool video art that I've ever seen on the Bally system!  I let it run for a while I've seen some of the coolest-looking output.

It's too bad that Ron Picardi didn't simplify this program and eliminate options 1 and 3, which require LOTS of user input.  This probably would have made the program publishable (and much shorter in length).  As it is, it stands, I believe, as one of the most interesting (probably THE most interesting video art program) on the Bally (in either published or unpublished format).  The only issue that I have with it is that some of the art it makes takes a long time to finish.  This is because it's totally random for how many iterations each drawing cycle runs.  I guess that's also part of the beauty of the program.

Ron included rudimentary instructions on how to use PICK A PATTERN with in his program submission letter.  Although Ron's documentation may seem long, they are basic on the details.

Enjoy!

Adam

Edited by ballyalley

• 2 weeks later...

Perspectives
By Mike Peace / WaveMakers
CURSOR 2, no. 5 (January/February 1981): 89.
"AstroBASIC" Manual, Pg. 90

This is video art for Bally Arcade/Astrocade with Bally BASIC or "AstroBASIC" produces a simple picture.

YouTube:

Archive.org:

https://archive.org/details/PerspectivesByMikePeaceWaveMakersVideoArtBallyArcadeandAstrocade1981

BallyAlley.com:

https://ballyalley.com/astrocade_videos/Astrocade_Video_Art/Astrocade_Video_Art.html#PerspectivesMikePeaceAstrocadeVideo

0:00 - Perspectives, Overview of Program
1:49 - Perspectives, Program Loading and Running
2:18 - Perspectives, BASIC Listing
2:38 - End Credits

Notes from the "AstroBASIC" manual: "This program graphically displays a road going into a city, with telephone poles line the road. Excellent perspective study!"

Program description from the cursor newsletter: "This program draws a perspective view of a highway lined with telephone poles and the city."

Adam

Edited by ballyalley

256 Color Display
By Jerry Burianyk
Bally BASIC: CURSOR 2, no. 5 (January/February 1981): 86-87.
AstroBASIC: AstroBASIC Manual, page 94
Machine Language Manager: MLM manual, page 7-5.

This is an overview of the video art program called 256 Color Display by Jerry Burianyk. This program displays all 256 colors of the Astrocade's palette on the screen at the same time.

YouTube:

Archive.org:

https://archive.org/details/256ColorDisplayJerryBurianykVideoArtBallyArcadeAstrocade1981

BallyAlley.com:

https://ballyalley.com/astrocade_videos/Astrocade_Video_Art/Astrocade_Video_Art.html#256ColorDisplayVideoOverview

This program doesn't exactly match a strict definition for video art, but it shows more than the eight colors that the Astrocade is normally capable of showing from a cartridge and more than the four colors that BallyBASIC/AstroBASIC can normally show using a BASIC program.  While there are no on-screen patterns, it took some thought and a sort-of technical artist to write this program that seems to push the Astrocade beyond its technical limitations.

0:00 - 256 Color Display, Overview of Program
6:27 - 256 Color Display, Program Loading and Running (Capture Card)
7:38 - 256 Color Display, Program Loading and Running (Canon Powershot SX60)
11:06 - 256 Color Display, BASIC Listing
11:51 - End Credits

From the AstroBASIC manual:

"This program has especially delighted the average user as it appears to be impossible to accomplish such a thing with Bally BASIC. You will find out how good your television is as this program will push its color displaying capabilities to the limit! Thanks to The Basic Express newsletter for sharing this program with us."

Though the text doesn't mention this, try moving the paddle of hand controller number one for a neat affect.

Program Description from Cursor:

Display All 256 Colors on Screen at One Time
By Jerry Burianyk
CURSOR 2, no. 5 (January/February 1981): 86-87.

This program uses the PEEK command (%(Location)=Value) to store a machine language program in the "Tape Input Buffer."  The program was first written in Z80 machine language (MNEMONIC), then converted to hex (OPCODE).  The HEX was translated to decimal and subsequently POKED into memory locations 20200 (4EED) through 20260 (4F24).

We strongly suggest the use of The Cursor Group "PEEK N' POKE" manual to fully understand this procedure. The "PEEK N' POKE" manual is a beginner level instruction course.

The 256 color program uses Screen Interrupts which Brett Bilbrey so brilliantly pioneered with his "CRITTER" program in the October 1980 issue of CURSOR.

The width of the 256 color display is governed by the value of &(9) in line 330. The interrupts allow concurrent processing. Once you are running this program, you can press "HALT", the Color program will continue running and you can eliminate lines 10 through 400 by keying in the line number and "GO" (remember-the BASIC program is only used to assemble a machine language program in the "Tape Input Buffer"),the BASIC program is no longer needed.

To stop the Color program, key-in ":RETURN". If you have eliminated lines 10-400, restart program by keying "CALL 20200".

The quantity of colors displayed can be limited by using Hand Control Knob #1.

This program will give your TV it's supreme test of quality.  We use a 10 inch Panasonic with our Bally in the office, and it is capable of only showing about 14 colors.  Our Zenith, however, showed them all!!

Many, many thanks to Jerry & Brett for sharing their results with us!

Enjoy this neat video!

Adam

Edited by ballyalley

• 2 weeks later...

Diamond
By Richard Sonnenblick
Basic Express, The 3, no. 1 (April 1981): 7.

Program Description from "The Basic Express:"

Editor's Note: This is a Video Art Program.  We publish only the best of those we receive.  Invariably, such programs make extensive use of For-To-Next loops and can be valuable to the budding programmer as a learning device!  The author, Richard Sonnenblick, is a junior high school student.  Congratulations go to Richard for a very excellent program.  I hope you adults reading this are sufficiently chagrined.

YouTube:

Archive.org:

https://archive.org/details/DiamondByRichardSonnenblickVideoArtBallyArcadeAstrocade1981

BallyAlley.com:

https://ballyalley.com/astrocade_videos/Astrocade_Video_Art/Astrocade_Video_Art.html#DiamondAstrocadeVideoOverview

0:00 - Diamond, Overview of Program
1:31 - Diamond, Program Loading and Running (Capture Card)
8:56 - Diamond, BASIC Listing
9:22 - End Credits

Program Archiving Note:

This program was typed-in on July 29, 2016 by Adam Trionfo.  It was converted to Bally BASIC and AstroBASIC using two Bally Arcade/Astrocade archiving utilities: txt2prg and KCS.

Enjoy

Adam

Edited by ballyalley

Pop Art (Circles)
By Ron Picardi
ARCADIAN 3, no. 7 (May 8, 1981): 77.

YouTube:

Archive.org:

https://archive.org/details/PopArtCirclesRonPicardiVideoArtBallyArcadeAstrocade1981

BallyAlley.com:

https://ballyalley.com/astrocade_videos/Astrocade_Video_Art/Astrocade_Video_Art.html#PopArtCirclesRonPicardiAstrocadeVideo

The ARCADIAN contained no instructions for this video art program.  Ron's program submission letter said only this about the program, "A self-running art program that features some unusual graphic patterns."

0:00 - POP ART (CIRCLES), Overview of Program
2:12 - POP ART (CIRCLES), Program Loading and Running
5:54 - POP ART (CIRCLES), BASIC Listing
7:36 - End Credits

Archive Notes:

Three programs were on one tape that was submitted to Bob Fabris for possible inclusion in the Arcadian newsletter: "New Ghost (Revision)," "Pop Art" (printed as "Circles") and "Pick a Pattern," an unpublished Arcadian submission.

This program is longer than the normal video art program on the astrocade, both in terms of the BASIC program's length and the amount of time that the program runs.  It only runs for about four minutes from start to finish, and it has an actual ending; it doesn't run randomly forever.

Adam

Symmetrical Art
By Rob Rosenhouse for Super Software
ARCADIAN 3, no. 11 (Sep. 11, 1981): 113.

From Robert's June 11, 1981 program submission letter to Bob Fabris:

"Enclosed you will find a tape with another 'Random Art' program enclosed on it.  I would appreciate it if you would print this program in the soonest possible issue."

YouTube:

Archive.org:

https://archive.org/details/SymmetricalArtRobRosenhouseSuperSoftwareVideoArtBallyArcadeAstrocade1981

BallyAlley.com:

https://ballyalley.com/astrocade_videos/Astrocade_Video_Art/Astrocade_Video_Art.html#SymmetricalArtAstrocadeVideoOverview

0:00 - Symmetrical Art, Overview of Program
2:17 - Symmetrical Art, Program Loading and Running
5:17 - Symmetrical Art, BASIC Listing
5:55 - End Credits

Archiving Notes:

This program was archived from a tape in the Bob Fabris Collection.  Side 2 of the tape contained an identical copy of the Symmetrical Art.

The BALLY BASIC, 300-baud version of Symmetrical Art was converted to "AstroBASIC" using Jay Fenton's 300 BAUD TO 2000 BAUD TAPE CONVERTER from the "AstroBASIC" manual.

Super Software made much more software for the Astrocade, including many games that were released on tape.

Adam

RND (Art)
By Super Software (Rob Rosenhouse)
ARCADIAN 4, no. 2 (Dec. 7, 1981): 17.

Extended and Improved Video Overview.

This is an extended and improved video overview of "RND (Art)." While the program is the same, there is different information in both videos.  Watch them both if you're interested in this program.  The program was re-recorded, so the random art is completely different in this video compared to the first one.

This video art program was submitted on a tape to Bob Fabris around November 1981.  In addition to RANDOM ART, the same tape also contained FALLING STARS and LASER BATTLE.  The latter two programs were NOT meant to be printed in the ARCADIAN newsletter.  Bob Rosenhouse requested printouts of the latter two programs from Bob Fabris.

YouTube:

Archive.org:

https://archive.org/details/RNDArtRobRosenhouseSuperSoftwareVideoArtBallyArcadeAstrocade1981

BallyAlley.com:

https://ballyalley.com/astrocade_videos/Astrocade_Video_Art/Astrocade_Video_Art.html#RNDAartExtendedVideoOverview

0:00 - RND (Art), Overview of Program
4:05 - RND (Art), Program Loading and Running
15:12 - RND (Art), BASIC Listing
15:39 - End Credits

The original, much shorter, version of the video is here:

Enjoy!

Adam

Edited by ballyalley

• 2 weeks later...

This one isn't exactly video art... but it's helpful to get the colors right when recording video art, so I've included it here.

Standard Color Generator
By Andy Guevara/The Bit Fiddlers
BASIC EXPRESS, THE 3, no. 2 (May/June 1981): 15-16.
"Machine Language Manager" Manual (Page 7-4)

This video test software generates 8 standard colors used in TV work.  It is for use with the Bally Arcade/Astrocade and Bally BASIC or the Machine Language Manager.

YouTube:

Archive.org:

https://archive.org/details/StandardColorGeneratorAndyGuevaraBitFiddlersVideoTestUtilityBallyArcadeAstrocade1981

BallyAlley.com:

https://ballyalley.com/astrocade_videos/Astrocade_Video_Art/Astrocade_Video_Art.html#StandardColorGeneratorAstrocadeVideo

The "Standard Color Generator" program will display a series of color bars which can be used to set the colors on your TV set.  The color bars are displayed from left to right in the following order:

Black
White
Yellow
Green
Blue
Magenta
Red
Cyan

0:00 - Standard Color Generator, Overview of Program
1:39 - Standard Color Generator, Program Loading and Running (Direct Capture)
2:06 - Standard Color Generator, Program Loading and Running (Video of TV)
2:24 - End Credits

This program is useful to help adjust colors on a TV.  It's also an excellent example of showing more than the usual two colors on the screen at once from BASIC.

Adam

Edited by ballyalley

• 2 months later...

I've added an overview of computer art/graphics for the Astrocade.  I enjoyed putting this video together, as I learned more than I expected about Video Wizards and I came across Ken Springsteen's end-of-the-line letter to Bob Fabris where he offers for sale his entire Astrocade colleciton.  The letter includes pictures of his collection, which I've included in this video.

Graphic Pictures
By Video Wizards (Ken Springsteen)
March 1982

These are video graphics/computer art for the Bally Arcade / Astrocade for use with "AstroBASIC," the version of Bally BASIC with the built-in tape interface.

This video overview shows 11 programs loading and displaying detailed mono-colored pictures on the TV screen.  The video begins with an overview, background and brief history of Video Wizards.

Here it is on YouTube:

Here is a link to the video on Archive.org (where you can view it and/or download it):

https://archive.org/details/GraphicPicturesVideoWizardsOverviewBallyAstrocadeAstroBASIC1982

Note that no program called "Graphic Pictures" was released on tape.  Rather, Ken Springsteen, the programmer, had an unusual method of distributing his software along with the six programs that he wrote:

1) Jekyl & Hyde
2) Multi-Graphics
3) Crypt-O-Grams
4) The Exterminator
5) Slow Machine
6) Lazer Brains

These eleven pictures have been gathered into one video for easy reference and viewing.  The graphic programs do allow the graphics to be changed by the user with, as Paul Thacker (who archived these programs) describes it, "a rather cumbersome interface."  The method to change the graphics is not shown here, nor are any BASIC program listings for the programs.

The video is broken down into several sections:

0:00 - Overview of Video Wizards and Graphic Pictures

The following are the eleven pictures in this video

7:19 - Welcome to the World of Video Wizards
7:53 - Thank You for Ordering Software from Video Wizards
8:16 - Charlie (The Man of 1,000 Faces)
8:39 - Arcadian Logo
9:05 - Hot Rod Customizing Center
9:34 - Space Creatures
10:01 - Susie (The Girl of 1,000 Faces)
10:24 - Home Sweet Home
10:48 - Puppy-Vision
11:12 - Professional Arcade Graphic
11:40 - Go-Go Dancer

12:04 - End Credits

The video has a 1/2 page newspaper advertisement for the Astrocade with the Z-GRASS unit.  This is from the Winnipeg Free Press's October 9, 1982 issue.  There are three other ads from the Arcadian.

Ken Springsteen, the man who programmed these graphics, left the Astrocade scene by around June 1982, when he put up his collection for sale.  This means his "company," Video Wizards, was only in business for three to four months.

Enjoy!

Adam

• 2 months later...

Fireworks!
By Mike White
March 1985

These are video graphics/computer art for the Bally Arcade / Astrocade for use with "AstroBASIC," the version of Bally BASIC with the built-in tape interface.

This program is from Niagara Bugs Club Tape 1.  The program must loop around twice for you to see all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlsrknShBes

This program can also be viewed or downloaded from Archive.org.

https://archive.org/details/FireworksMikeWhiteOverviewBallyArcadeAstrocadeAstroBASIC1985

For another pyrotechnics program for "AstroBASIC," see 1982's Fireworks by New Image:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVEY_6fYYp0

These two programs, while similar themed, are very different from one another.

Enjoy!

Adam

Edited by ballyalley

I added a program with an unknown name, dubbed "Colorful Circles."  The program is probably from about 1983 or so and was possibly written by Ed Horger.

"Colorful Circles" is video graphics/computer art for the Bally Arcade / Astrocade for use with VIPERsoft or Blue RAM BASIC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3AULOjeSCI

This unlabeled art program was found on Ed Horger's tape.  Paul Thacker dubbed the program "Colorful Circles."  This program runs for about 18 seconds before crashing.  Since the artistic display that is created during that brief 18 seconds of life is worth preserving, the program is included here.

This program ends with a syntax error (a "WHAT?") at line 11313.  The program attempts to print the line but it prints strange garage with many question marks.  The program is very short and ends with line 40 (I'm not sure why "line" 11313 is listed in the error message).  Perhaps this program is a work in progress.  Examine the BASIC program listing after the program runs to see what the issue might be that causes the error.

This video can also be downloaded from archive.org:

https://archive.org/details/ColorfulCirclesEdHorgerOverviewAstrocadeBlueRamBASIC

Enjoy this video art, for even with the issues, this program shows promise.

Adam

• 5 months later...

I added a video overview of "Unusual Sounds" by Bill Loos from ARCADIAN 3, no. 7 (May 08, 1981): 79.  This program creates sound effects for the Bally Arcade/Astrocade and Bally BASIC.

https://youtu.be/7zI6MzuXRos

Sometimes AtariAge doesn't automatically put in a preview for a link, so here is a direct link to the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zI6MzuXRos

Arcadian Instructions:

"The following program was sent by Bill Loos, which, along with the list of variables, will provide some unusual sound effects. Make direct substitutions of the values of X and Y as recommended, either individually, or by grouping two or more together."

"Unusual Sounds" by Bill Loos was archived in February 2019 with the 300-baud tools for Windows.  After the conversion, I was able to load "Unusual Sounds" with the 300-baud interface on a real Astrocade and run it without any problems.

https://archive.org/details/unusual-sounds-1981-bill-loos-300-baud-overview-astrocade-720p-10-mbps

You can also download the program from BallyAlley.com, here:

https://ballyalley.com/program_downloads/300_baud_programs/arcadian/programs_q-z/programs_q-z.html#UnusualSoundsBillLoosBBProgram

Enjoy!

Adam

I added an overview of a video art program called "RND Pixel Design" by Dieter Heinermann.  This program was published in ARCADIAN 7, no. 3 (Mar. 21, 1986): 47.

https://youtu.be/R_emPK2nSp4

Sometimes AtariAge doesn't automatically put in a preview for a link, so here is a direct link to the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_emPK2nSp4

This program will run in Bally BASIC, AstroBASIC and Extended BASIC (Blue Ram BASIC or Vipersoft BASIC).  There were no instructions in the Arcadian, but the original program submission letter (dated August 9, 1985) included three programs on one tape.  The comments about "RND Pixel Design" are:

"The third [program] is a short RND pixel program."

This program is B&W, but with one change (listed in the program listing), it will run in color in extended BASIC.

https://archive.org/details/RND_Pixel_Design_Dieter_Heinermann_Overview_Astrocade_1986

You can also download the program from BallyAlley.com, here:

https://ballyalley.com/program_downloads/300_baud_programs/arcadian/programs_q-z/programs_q-z.html#RNDPixelArtBBProgram

Enjoy!

Adam

• 1 month later...

I added an overview of "The Collatz Conjecture" by Jim Dunson.  This appeared on Astro-Bugs Club Tape #5 in August 1984.  This program is a mathematical demonstration.

Collatz_Conjecture_The_1984_Jim_Dunson_AB_Overview_Astrocade_tn.thumb.png.6edf22784295c447f58e6e3915b26b2a.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0hCmwrAQcY

Here, hopefully, is a YouTube link with a preview:

Instructions from the program's loading screen:

About 30 years ago [1937] a professor named Collatz created this thought provoker. Start with any whole number.  If it is odd, triple it +1. If it is even, take half.  Repeat. The final result will always be one. Why is that?  After all, the odd number is tripled + 1. This more than compensates for the halves??? Send your explanation to me, Jim Dunson.

For more information about this, check out the Internet:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collatz_conjecture

Sample program run:

THE COLLATZ CONJECTURE

START WITH ANY WHOLE  NUM-

BER.  IF IT IS ODD, TRIPLE

IT +1. IF IT IS EVEN, TAKE

HALF.  REPEAT.  THE  FINAL

RESULT WILL ALWAYS BE ONE.

I WILL COMPUTE FOR YOU.

INPUT A NUMBER

[The program now will run for a while, printing the results on screen until the answer is one, then it will ask for another number.]

https://archive.org/details/collatz-conjecture-the-1984-jim-dunson-ab-overview-astrocade-720p-10-mbps

Enjoy!

Adam