IGNORED

Best Xbox One Media Player

I keep all my ripped movies on an external hard drive and even though I have a dedicated media player for movie watching, I recently started using my Xbox One more and mote (not just for games, but YouTube, radio and other things.) So what's the best media player for the console? I tried the stock app, but it's not very good and I was wondering what other people are using for watching movies on their Xbox One consoles. I want something that supports a lot of files, like MKV, AVI, MP4 and so on and something that's easy to use/setup. Really looking forward to your recommendations! Thanks in advance.

VLC media player works great and plays everything. I can play .mkv, .mp4 etc files off of my NAS or usb hdd just fine.

I tried Kodi when it first came out on the XB1, but it couldn't stream files from a network, only from usb devices or the onboard xbox hdd. It could have been updated since then though, I have not checked.

• 3 weeks later...

I keep all my ripped movies on an external hard drive and even though I have a dedicated media player for movie watching, I recently started using my Xbox One more and mote (not just for games, but YouTube, radio and other things.) So what's the best media player for the console? I tried the stock app, but it's not very good and I was wondering what other people are using for watching movies on their Xbox One consoles. I want something that supports a lot of files, like MKV, AVI, MP4 and so on and something that's easy to use/setup. Really looking forward to your recommendations! Thanks in advance.

I'd be interested in the answer to this as well. I've found that not all devices handle MP4 files equally. My PS3 and my standalone Sony BluRay player have considerable differences, even though there's no reason that should be the case.

I'd be interested in the answer to this as well. I've found that not all devices handle MP4 files equally. My PS3 and my standalone Sony BluRay player have considerable differences, even though there's no reason that should be the case.

I recently started using Kodi (former XBMC for those old to remember that software.) To be completely honest, I have no idea about the technical aspects of this piece of software and how it compares to similar apps on the Xbox One. From a personal experience though, most movies look good enough and the option of using apps within the apps, such as YouTube, Giant Bomb, the Weather and the ability of scanning your library and getting little bits of information about the movie like reviews or the poster is just great. I'm using the latest version which I think is in beta so there are some issues here and there, but for what it is, Kodi gets the job done and more.

I just need something that can play back mp4 files well. My Blu-ray player kicks up sometimes when I stick in a 1080p file. And it struggles to recognize some USB drives.

Playing shiny discs better work well out of the box, for sure.