IGNORED

Alien Attack (4K) Final Cartridge Version

easmith

Final version with a bug removed posted at end of thread .

A small run of carts will be available from Good Deal Games Homebrew Heaven !

It will be available at Midwest Gaming Classic in April, and then for sale on their website afterwards.

I do hope that some folks will want to purchase one even though I have made the ROM available.

Final improvements as follows:

Default option is multiple shooter ( P0 diff B) with more challenging option of single shooter . I also lightened the enemy colors so that they are easier to see on CRT TV.

The final boss ship shoots two lasers as the other 2 shoot only 1.

The shield now drains 5 power units and cannot be activated if there are fewer than 5 time units remaning.

The outside batteries are larger and are hit more often.

post-63151-0-34860900-1522287320.png

post-63151-0-00950300-1522287572_thumb.png

post-63151-0-83963100-1522287623_thumb.png

AACart.mp4

AACartFinal.bin

AA (1).txt

Edited by easmith
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I haven't really noticed freely available ROMs having much impact on cart sales. People who want carts of great games are going to get them. For me, emulation just isn't the same as playing on the real hardware.

Totally agree with this.

• Like 1

After final testing , playing many times, I caught a bug . The bug is now fixed in the attached ROM.

The bug is hard to catch I suppose (no one on AA has told me they noticed it yet), but once noticed it is somewhat important. I assume it is in the version posted above, but I have gone through so many versions it is hard to keep track. Lesson learned : proper version control!.

Bug was caused by 3 stray lines of code from a half -started idea which I forgot to delete, and it only manifested itself in one particular location on the screen. But anyway it is fixed now . The version below is the cartridge version that will be sold at http://www.gooddealgames.com/inventory/Atari%202600.html ,starting next week I believe. There will be about 10 available at the Midwest Gaming Classic I hope ( due to the late timing of finishing it), and I think they are doing 50 total .

Game Instructions are in original post above.

post-63151-0-83063600-1523224268_thumb.jpg.

Anyway , I hope a few people can enjoy it and keep me from having to buy them all myself so that is say "sold out"! Again super thanks for so much help and support, and to resources like SpiceWare's Collect tutorial , Random Terrain , etc.

ES

AAbugfixed.bin

Edited by easmith

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I guess no one has noticed it, but in the bugged version, if the cannon is in the middle of the screen , or perhaps just to the right of center, the collisions with the enemy missile do not register, so that the cannon is invincible in that position. Hard to catch ( it took me a long time) since when playing you try to avoid the missiles! But in the Boss levels it can be an advantage. This was fixed in the "bugfixed" version that at the bottom of the thread and in the version posted in the Homebrew Discussion forum.

I guess no one has noticed it, but in the bugged version, if the cannon is in the middle of the screen , or perhaps just to the right of center, the collisions with the enemy missile do not register, so that the cannon is invincible in that position. Hard to catch ( it took me a long time) since when playing you try to avoid the missiles! But in the Boss levels it can be an advantage. This was fixed in the "bugfixed" version that at the bottom of the thread and in the version posted in the Homebrew Discussion forum.

I never noticed that. I probably thought I was missing the missiles while in that position.