IGNORED

What consoles would you like to see made as a flashback

maxdrive

Well I guess we don't agree, but the NGPC stuff isn't all that much of being cut down releases and some of it use the name/some mechanics but are entirely new games too like the Metal Slugs. If it couldn't handle a full on little handheld, include the library with a full blown NeoGeo handheld or console system then, or at worst peddle a ROM package for the Nintendo 3DS and/or Switch as both physical and download. There are some really solid releases in there with great mechanics worth seeing again.

Well I guess we don't agree, but the NGPC stuff isn't all that much of being cut down releases and some of it use the name/some mechanics but are entirely new games too like the Metal Slugs. If it couldn't handle a full on little handheld, include the library with a full blown NeoGeo handheld or console system then, or at worst peddle a ROM package for the Nintendo 3DS and/or Switch as both physical and download. There are some really solid releases in there with great mechanics worth seeing again.

I feel like we're talking about two separate issues here. The NGPC was a fine portable with some excellent games, including the Metal Slug entries. I just don't think it's suitable as a general mass market device, a la a Flashback. "No one" knows what an NGPC is, and the big IP, while reasonably attractive, is better served by simply doing the MVS stuff, which is just as technically feasible as doing the NGPC stuff.

As a digital compilation for the 3DS, or even possibly the Switch, it might have a decent market that would want to buy it, at least enough to be around break-even for the dev and other associated costs, but that's probably about it.

Ok, I know 5200 & 7800 don't have the same recognition as 2600 games do, but what about this idea?

Say like as in Flashback Classics (X1/PS4) you first select like Centipede and then the version you want to play as either Arcade or 2600, now what if you also added 5200 & 7800 versions as well? People who never played those versions before will be surprised of how the 5200 version sounds exactly like the arcade and how the 7800 version has much better graphics than the 2600 version they're used to.

Instead of having a seperate 5200 or 7800 Flashback that no one will buy, you'll have more variations of the games that Atari SA already owned. And if that goed well then add the 5200/7800 exlcusives...

• Like 2

Ok, I know 5200 & 7800 don't have the same recognition as 2600 games do, but what about this idea?

Say like as in Flashback Classics (X1/PS4) you first select like Centipede and then the version you want to play as either Arcade or 2600, now what if you also added 5200 & 7800 versions as well? People who never played those versions before will be surprised of how the 5200 version sounds exactly like the arcade and how the 7800 version has much better graphics than the 2600 version they're used to.

Instead of having a seperate 5200 or 7800 Flashback that no one will buy, you'll have more variations of the games that Atari SA already owned. And if that goed well then add the 5200/7800 exlcusives...

Possibly. The issue for the 5200 hardware-wise is the controller. It's unlikely to be practical for a variety of reasons to create a 5200-centric controller. Adding 7800 support would only require the addition of a second button, which would be relatively easy. As such, that's far more likely in 2019 (or beyond) than something that also included 5200.

• Like 1

I'm gonna go with the original Game Boy. It was certainly a popular enough system to warrant a Classic Mini sort of release, and there's no shortage of great games Nintendo could cram into it. Ideally I'd like it best if it was just a modern production original Game Boy with a backlit screen and a removable official Nitnendo made 30-in-1 cart so you could play original carts on it too, but knowing Nintendo they're going to shrink down the form factor, give it a proprietary rechargeable battery pack instead of allowing you to use AA batteries, and make it with a handful of games built in rather than having a cart slot. I'll still buy it if they make it, but it probably won't be what I'd ideally like. I knew I never should have sold my backlit original Game Boy. =P

• Like 2

Would you say only game boy or should gameboy color be added to it as well.

GBA or GTFO, I say

The issue will be how ye olde screens have a different aspect ratio than the widescreen GBA. A good clone machine will compromise without cutting out content or excessive letter boxing or stretching.

Good use of "they", meaning Nintendo's intellectual properties most likely are off limits from all 3rd party manufacturers. From a wider perspective, it is fine to discuss further minis and repros though this thread originally discussed "Flashback" which I believe is a trademark of AtGames, at least in this field of devices.

Frankly I don't see the market for an Apple ][ Flashback but then again I know it had a completely different impact in the US than it had in Europe. For the majority of European customers, an Apple ][ was just a very expensive business computer, no fun at all and in the case you happened to come across any games anyway, they most likely were text adventures, strategy games, simulators or other that are quite far from pick up and play.

• Like 3

Good use of "they", meaning Nintendo's intellectual properties most likely are off limits from all 3rd party manufacturers. From a wider perspective, it is fine to discuss further minis and repros though this thread originally discussed "Flashback" which I believe is a trademark of AtGames, at least in this field of devices.

Frankly I don't see the market for an Apple ][ Flashback but then again I know it had a completely different impact in the US than it had in Europe. For the majority of European customers, an Apple ][ was just a very expensive business computer, no fun at all and in the case you happened to come across any games anyway, they most likely were text adventures, strategy games, simulators or other that are quite far from pick up and play.

Oh, there's no question only Nintendo would produce this type of stuff, even when designed by another company. Even when companies like AtGames were pursuing Nintendo to create one of these devices, I always said that if Nintendo were interested in such a thing, they'd just do it themselves. About the best you could do is a third party game-centered box that plays NES games and doesn't look too much like a NES physically.

When I speak of these things, I'm specifically referring to the US market, which is the primary market for AtGames stuff. As such, the novelty of an Apple II-based product would definitely sell all on its own in good numbers, regardless of what was really on it game-wise. If Oregon Trail, Carmen Sandiego, Choplifter, Lode Runner, and a few other key titles were on there, for instance, it would definitely be a strong seller.

Of course, with an Apple II device, it's unlikely Apple would officially get behind such a project, so you're probably on your own. That would limit what the thing could look like, which would certainly hurt things, and you'd have to be VERY careful to steer clear of Apple's lawyers. So, while it would almost certainly sell, the challenges are probably too great to overcome to actually bring it to market.

Of course, with an Apple II device, it's unlikely Apple would officially get behind such a project, so you're probably on your own. That would limit what the thing could look like, which would certainly hurt things, and you'd have to be VERY careful to steer clear of Apple's lawyers. So, while it would almost certainly sell, the challenges are probably too great to overcome to actually bring it to market.

Apart from that recent coffee table book, Apple doesn't seem to have any interest in its rainbow-beige past.

That's the drawback about companies who refuse to die after being in business for 40 years. :)

This app, "Candy Apple -- relive the early 1980s with a shiny Apple//e and a stack of diskettes" survived in the Google Play store for eight years. I'm genuinely curious who pulled it -- Apple, Google, or a rights holder from one of the ancient games that was bundled without permission? Or maybe the developer pulled it, purely for technical or other reasons?

And Atari 7800? This app has been in the Windows store since 2012. It's full of ROMs and runs on a potato. Don't tell the lawyers at the brand licensing department and crowdfunding would-be scammers known as "Atari."

• Like 1

Regarding "cAndy Apple", it appears the developer pulled it due to it no longer works on Android 7 and 8.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/candy-apple-user-group/2kmww1IVph0

Besides the description said no ROMs or diskette images were included with the distribution, so if anyone except the developer had the rights to pull it, that would be Apple still owning the patents (?!) to the Apple //e, which though I believe have expired long ago as a patent isn't valid a fraction of the time a copyright is valid.

• Like 2

The software wasn't included in the apk, but if I remember right, there was a button in the app to download and install them from elsewhere.

That seems to be the go-to move for several emulators. I like it, although I'm unclear how that circumvents the underlying issue.

I think the upcoming Dreamcade Replay (unless I'm thinking of something else) is supposed to somehow interface with the ROMs on the Internet Archive. That's certainly an interesting approach, although again, I'm still not clear how that's really any different than actually including the ROMs in the first place.

Side thought, because why not, it would be nice if we could have a true master database of everything that still has rights holders associated with them (and a place for said rights holders to stake claims). Anything not claimed (or having secondary licenses, like say for Disney) would automatically be usable any time, any place. The rest could have clear paths of ownership so rights could be requested. That would certainly make things much easier. Big project, though, although I suppose what the Internet Archive is doing is some form of that, albeit in the form of a post everything and then take down later if requested type of deal (probably the only way).

• Like 1

Generally I tend to go off topic the way guys with big Jeeps go off road in the Summer on days off. A lot I mean. :)

And it's certainly all right to debate whether or not any of these ideas could be commercially viable (The Answer seems to be "No" quite a bit, unfortunately) ...But re-reading the original title, I would take this as a wish list,...Like kind of a "What if" if you could decide...

I'd keep my original ideas that the Vectrex would be Awesome as would the Turbografx/PC Engine. I also agree with anyone that wants to put various versions of arcade games together because that would be killer...

And I came up with 2 additional ideas, that are more like "Wish Lists" for sure, and probably require bending the rules a bit.

My first idea would be to collect a whole bunch of handheld and tabletop games from the LCD and VFD eras, whether they are like Game & Watch games, or Coleco Mini Arcades, or preferably (to me) many of the lesser known games; And somehow emulate them to output to a TV. I've seen them emulated on a computer screen so why not? Make options to have the game unit displayed onscreen or better yet, a bigger screen without the game unit and maybe have the ability to change the color palettes like on a Super Game Boy.

My second idea would be just to get tons of pinball games together (I know, not exactly a console), especially Pinball Hall of Fame games and put them into a plug and play that has a plunger and side "flipper" buttons. Personally I prefer to play without a "tilt" feature, but that's me. One could be included, or not.

• Like 2

My first idea would be to collect a whole bunch of handheld and tabletop games from the LCD and VFD eras, whether they are like Game & Watch games, or Coleco Mini Arcades, or preferably (to me) many of the lesser known games; And somehow emulate them to output to a TV. I've seen them emulated on a computer screen so why not? Make options to have the game unit displayed onscreen or better yet, a bigger screen without the game unit and maybe have the ability to change the color palettes like on a Super Game Boy.

My second idea would be just to get tons of pinball games together (I know, not exactly a console), especially Pinball Hall of Fame games and put them into a plug and play that has a plunger and side "flipper" buttons. Personally I prefer to play without a "tilt" feature, but that's me. One could be included, or not.

The first idea is good and easy to do. As you say, the Internet Archive has a stellar such collection with solid emulation already. Unfortunately, to raise the verboten practicality issue, a LOT of the handhelds like that were licensed, although there should still be more than enough that weren't (but then who has the rights to those even?).

In terms of your second idea, I saw someone put together exactly what you said on Facebook. I forget where, or I'd provide the link. It was neat. Basically two screens, one on top, one on the bottom (that was the playfield) and traditional pinball controls. It's a lot like those toy pinball machines, except actually really good. I believe it was running one of the current popular pinball compilations from Steam. I really do like the pinball tabletop idea. It's an area that has yet to be explored and certainly something I've been thinking about running by AtGames. It's probably a bit more involved than a typical videogame, though.

• Like 2

Possibly. The issue for the 5200 hardware-wise is the controller. It's unlikely to be practical for a variety of reasons to create a 5200-centric controller. Adding 7800 support would only require the addition of a second button, which would be relatively easy. As such, that's far more likely in 2019 (or beyond) than something that also included 5200.

I'm fairly sure very few people have any interest in the 5200 controller. But the 400/800 games could be used instead. Even the handful of 5200 exclusives have been back-ported to the 400/800's I believe.

• Like 3

I say for classic PC it's not really the system it self but the games we remember a lot of the games were on multiple computers. The Lucasart games even the macventure games were ported on other systems so maybe not a apple flash back or any other specific computer but a generic classic PC one with working keyboard and mouse and just a collection of the best games

I say for classic PC it's not really the system it self but the games we remember a lot of the games were on multiple computers. The Lucasart games even the macventure games were ported on other systems so maybe not a apple flash back or any other specific computer but a generic classic PC one with working keyboard and mouse and just a collection of the best games

I'm not sure what the value is of that myself. You can already play this stuff via Steam, GOG, and a myriad other ways on the PC - complete with keyboard and mouse - you already have.

• Like 2

I feel like we're talking about two separate issues here. The NGPC was a fine portable with some excellent games, including the Metal Slug entries. I just don't think it's suitable as a general mass market device, a la a Flashback. "No one" knows what an NGPC is, and the big IP, while reasonably attractive, is better served by simply doing the MVS stuff, which is just as technically feasible as doing the NGPC stuff.

As a digital compilation for the 3DS, or even possibly the Switch, it might have a decent market that would want to buy it, at least enough to be around break-even for the dev and other associated costs, but that's probably about it.

I'm saying even if it couldn't stand alone, given the low power of the handheld, it wouldn't be outside of the realm in yet another emulator box like they're apparently doing with MVS with the drop cloth(if guesses are right) it would be nice to see NGPC included maybe as an aside/option, or a year later if that works well they do a handheld version to bleach the memories of Tommo and include NGPC games on that there. Beyond that, yeah I feel a lower risk card(3DS/Switch) or at worst digital download would be fantastic as there's a couple dozen titles totally worthy of a look at least.

Would you say only game boy or should gameboy color be added to it as well.

I'm with Jin Gameboy needs to happen. But knowing Nintendo and to be fair to BOTH platforms they need a closed up 30-40 game listing for both GB and GBC, but using a modern screen of good quality and cheap like the GBA 'Brighter' did for brightness, sharpness, clarity. The games would be perfect in this environment now more than ever against the existing mini arcades, Nintendo's 2 boxes for home, and even oddballs like the pixelboy portable sold at retail along with myarcade/oregon trail. GB still has a huge desirable following with lots of major titles on both the B&W and Color handhelds to justify it. Throw in the existing known licensees who backed NES and SNES and you'd have an absolutely killer offering factoring in Nintendo, Konami, Capcom, Tecmo, Koei, Hudson(via Konami), and Square-Enix too.

I'm saying even if it couldn't stand alone, given the low power of the handheld, it wouldn't be outside of the realm in yet another emulator box like they're apparently doing with MVS with the drop cloth(if guesses are right) it would be nice to see NGPC included maybe as an aside/option, or a year later if that works well they do a handheld version to bleach the memories of Tommo and include NGPC games on that there. Beyond that, yeah I feel a lower risk card(3DS/Switch) or at worst digital download would be fantastic as there's a couple dozen titles totally worthy of a look at least.

I'm with Jin Gameboy needs to happen. But knowing Nintendo and to be fair to BOTH platforms they need a closed up 30-40 game listing for both GB and GBC, but using a modern screen of good quality and cheap like the GBA 'Brighter' did for brightness, sharpness, clarity. The games would be perfect in this environment now more than ever against the existing mini arcades, Nintendo's 2 boxes for home, and even oddballs like the pixelboy portable sold at retail along with myarcade/oregon trail. GB still has a huge desirable following with lots of major titles on both the B&W and Color handhelds to justify it. Throw in the existing known licensees who backed NES and SNES and you'd have an absolutely killer offering factoring in Nintendo, Konami, Capcom, Tecmo, Koei, Hudson(via Konami), and Square-Enix too.

the only thing I see is if they do a separate hand held for both a few of the games are on both like Zelda links awakening and Zelda DX I feel if the do combine the two a few games we might want to see end up on the system would be left out to fit in both systems.