IGNORED

What consoles would you like to see made as a flashback

maxdrive

I don't know if the 7800 needs to be on it's own or just add it along with the 2600 flashback like the whole backwards compatibility of the 7800.

I would add it along with the 2600 offering. While a separate 7800 flashback would be cool, it just doesn't have the clout nor cache the 2600 does. However, putting them in addition to 2600 titles (say 20 7800 and 120 or more 2600 games) would probably be something AtGames could feasibly do.

I would add it along with the 2600 offering. While a separate 7800 flashback would be cool, it just doesn't have the clout nor cache the 2600 does. However, putting them in addition to 2600 titles (say 20 7800 and 120 or more 2600 games) would probably be something AtGames could feasibly do.

I would also have 7800 support on the portable sd card for home brews and what games left off the system someone might want to add
  • Like 1

the only thing I see is if they do a separate hand held for both a few of the games are on both like Zelda links awakening and Zelda DX I feel if the do combine the two a few games we might want to see end up on the system would be left out to fit in both systems.

I could see that, but realistically I think they'd (if they planned this out entirely) would likely just skip the original version and release the DX version on a GBC unit a year later (if it wasn't just a combined system.) The GBC release with the added color dungeon and a few other minor things is the definitive complete version of it after all. Very few games, at least of worth and value to fir into a device like this, exist on both systems. Sure they'd get some angry whiners over the exclusion which would mean making some PR statement about a future system potentially too soon, but there's not much else you could do as playing silent wouldn't make it any easier.

I would also have 7800 support on the portable sd card for home brews and what games left off the system someone might want to add

I think if AtGames produces a 2600/7800 hybrid FB of some kind, that would have to be given. However, outside of the portables, SD cards haven't arrived yet to the plug-ins. Hopefully that changes this year with the new models.

Edited by Hwlngmad

I think if AtGames produces a 2600/7800 hybrid FB of some kind, that would have to be given. However, outside of the portables, SD cards haven't arrived yet to the plug-ins. Hopefully that changes this year with the new models.

I also wondered why cartridge support were never put on the Atari flashbacks like the genesis was

I also wondered why cartridge support were never put on the Atari flashbacks like the genesis was

That is a really good question. I guess considering that a lot of must have 2600 titles are already included, especially with the Activision edition released last year, it is really a non-issue. However, you would think that this year's model would include cartridge and/or SD card support. Time will tell I guess.

Edited by Hwlngmad

I'm not a cartridge person myself, but with all the home-brews being released on the AtariAge store, it's hard to argue that "age of the cartridges" is the limiting factor. AtGames should just say "we can't support them" or "use cartridges at your own risk" or similar language ... if its cost-effective to include a cartridge connector at these prices.

SD cards are better anyway. >:-)

Initially the Flashback 2 was supposed to have a cart slot, but someone began to worry about folks calling in asking for help with defective cartridges. At the time this was blamed on Atari/Infogrames, so AtGames may have their hands tied.

You can modify the Flashback 2 to support cartridges, if memory serves. There should be some instructions around here somewhere...

I remember that the reason given the RetroN 5 doesn't support e.g. Atari 2600 is that the manufacturer was unable to source Atari sized cartridge connectors at an affordable price, unlike that they were able to find cartridge connectors for Famicom, NES, Genesis etc in enough volume and pricing. I think that is BS hiding the fact they didn't have an emulator to steal or didn't view the market large enough. Now I understand there may be a RetroN 77 that exclusively does 2600 though I haven't followed whether that one goes into production or not.

• Like 1

The same as Philips Videopac G7200, which itself is a G7000 a.k.a Odyssey^2. But yes, it is good looking though not very practical to reproduce even as miniature units. However Odyssey^2 as a Flashback format should be somewhat within reach if the manufacturer is willing to take a risk with an "oddball" system. I doubt it will sell any more than Colecovision or Intellivision Flashback though, or the array of non-2600 Atari systems suggested.

• Like 2

The same as Philips Videopac G7200, which itself is a G7000 a.k.a Odyssey^2. But yes, it is good looking though not very practical to reproduce even as miniature units. However Odyssey^2 as a Flashback format should be somewhat within reach if the manufacturer is willing to take a risk with an "oddball" system. I doubt it will sell any more than Colecovision or Intellivision Flashback though, or the array of non-2600 Atari systems suggested.

A FB Odyssey 2/Philips Videopac would be pretty cool. An even better oddball FB console would be a Fairchild Channel F. People would freak out over the controllers alone. However, there is virtually a snow ball's chance in Hades of that ever happening.

• Like 2

Perhaps one should manufacture Channel F/Zircon style joysticks with USB interface so you can plug into any modern system emulating it. It might be a marginal product but a rather unique one.

I'm not entirely updated on how many of the Odyssey^2 games really use the keyboard other than select game to play and for the reset button. Otherwise it is fortunate having digital joysticks with one button, which seems easier than all the Colecovision, Intellivision, Atari 5200 joysticks with numeric keypads that actually might see a bit of usage and I believe are harder to manufacture.

• Like 1

Perhaps one should manufacture Channel F/Zircon style joysticks with USB interface so you can plug into any modern system emulating it. It might be a marginal product but a rather unique one.

I'm not entirely updated on how many of the Odyssey^2 games really use the keyboard other than select game to play and for the reset button. Otherwise it is fortunate having digital joysticks with one button, which seems easier than all the Colecovision, Intellivision, Atari 5200 joysticks with numeric keypads that actually might see a bit of usage and I believe are harder to manufacture.

Thinking about PC versions, Atari Vault has a software interface for hardware switches. Fairchild would be easy enough to do, but Videopac games could be just loaded with software emulated keypress for the multigame or difficulty setting carts once the game is booted up. I don't think any of the keyboard games (like the anagram game in one of the first carts or the programming cart) is worth emulating on a plug and play console.

• 1 month later...

I will throw my hat into the ring with the following ideas:

A sega master system / game gear flashback.

My reason for this is the master system got shafted in the US with the Nes beating it to death.

Personally, I enjoy both the master system and game gear and would think those two system would have a decent library to warrant a flashback.

Some other not very clever suggestions:

A Atari lynx flashback

Yes the library is small and there are not too many standout games but still it's an idea.

Tiger LCD electronic games flashback.... just kidding :P

I don't know if anyone had mentioned this already but a DOS 6.22 / Windows 3.11 flashback.

It would be nice to have a slew of dos and windows 3.11 games with a keyboard and emulated cd rom or something.

It would be nice to have say jazz jackrabbit, epic pinball, adventures of microman, odell down under, kid pix studio deluxe, myst, zombie wars, space quest etc all in one package.

Yet more ideas:

Nintendo would be smart to release a Gameboy advance flashback, so many good games to choose from on that one.

My last idea:

a neo geo pocket/ neo geo pocket color flashback.

That system had lots of great games but never got a lot of traction in the US.

I had it back then with 20 games and then it went poof off the shelves of electronics boutique before they were eb.

Hopefully this will revive the discussion a bit :-)

Have a great day