IGNORED

What consoles would you like to see made as a flashback

maxdrive

A 5200 FB would be cool, but considering no one would touch those controllers with a 20 foot pole, it will never happen. It doesn't hurt to dream though and I would imagine that some kind of 5200 compilation could be possible.

Made this mock box art many moons ago. (Nov 3 2006)

I said it before and I'll say it again: ATARI! Please make this dream unit come true!

Edited by Hwlngmad

A 5200 FB would be cool, but considering no one would touch those controllers with a 20 foot pole, it will never happen. It doesn't hurt to dream though and I would imagine that some kind of 5200 compilation could be possible.

Atari Flashback Classics Vol. 3 features about all the 5200 games available. I already have it and can't say that they play that great. I'm hoping there are some tweaks before the official release date.

• Like 2

I couldn't remember if the AFC V3 has 5200 games or not. Hopefully they will tweak and improve gameplay as that would be a pretty nifty little collection to have handy as the 5200 is not a bad console, but those controllers just kill it (and not in a good sense).

Atari Flashback Classics Vol. 3 features about all the 5200 games available. I already have it and can't say that they play that great. I'm hoping there are some tweaks before the official release date.

I couldn't remember if the AFC V3 has 5200 games or not. Hopefully they will tweak and improve gameplay as that would be a pretty nifty little collection to have handy as the 5200 is not a bad console, but those controllers just kill it (and not in a good sense).

To clarify my earlier statement, I just meant the available Atari 5200 games that Atari has rights to still.

• Like 1

I actually think the 5200 controller could be done really well nowadays.

The analog sticks on all modern controllers work great. Use that in place of the 2 pots that don't center...arrrr

Try to make it compatible with the original controller. So let it be written.......

Are you allowed to mention which device(s) you were testing "Atari Flashback Classics Vol. 3" on? PS4 , Xbox One , PC or Switch ?

Edited by thetick1

Yes, you are probably right. Shoot, if the Xbox 'Duke' controller can redone and touched up a bit to make it better than it was before, I am sure an updated 5200 controller could be done. However, I am afraid there is not too much demand for the 5200 in general. Still, an updated controller would be nice, that's for sure.

I actually think the 5200 controller could be done really well nowadays.

The analog sticks on all modern controllers work great. Use that in place of the 2 pots that don't center...arrrr

Try to make it compatible with the original controller. So let it be written.......

An 32x Genesis (which is what Sega should have built) would be an interesting option. It could be pre-loaded with Genesis and 32x games. That along with SD card support, I think that would be a winner. The others, I am afraid, only hard-core gamers (and historians) know about.

We could really use a Super A'Can, Nuon, Pippen, a functional Neptune, and who knows what else.

• Like 2

32x would be hilarious considering it has a library of only 40 games worldwide IIRC

also a Jaguar flashback would be cool as they have become quite pricey and the jaguar CD aspect works maybe 50% of the time....

I'm sure its just licensing holding this stuff back, and if anyone is even interested in these things as they are niche.

It is one thing to make a flashback console of Atari 2600/5200/7800 or the Sega Genesis clones, all of which are iconic systems with lots of great games even if sound etc. isn't perfect.

Most of those you mention probably would require open source or at least community driven development: design the software and files for the exterior casing, and we'll plop it onto a standard PCB and make a production run. Systems even few collectors know about or at least care about, no general public recognition at all so if it would sell in mass markets, it would have to be advertised as the lost gems, recreation of the systems you didn't know ever existed so here is your second best chance to own a rarity. I'm not sure that sales pitch would work, perhaps with 1 product but certainly not with 5 products.

I believe Bill previously may have mentioned that the Jaguar is not out of the scope, though obviously mostly forgotten outside of the Atari collectors' communities.

It has some good ones, though ... and it can play all the Sega Genesis/Megadrive games, too. I always wanted a Sega Neptune (Genesis + Mars32X) system.

215d90f267202d048f888bfce8716362a8596136

Yep, that was my point. You have Genesis/Mega Drive games on there plus a small compilation of 32x games (5-10). Make it to where it can play cartridges for both and I think that would be a nice little product. Also, I agree having just a 32x system by itself would not fly what-so-ever. However, something like a Neptune could be a hot ticket item IMO.

I agree. I like the Atari Jaguar's look to, but the Neptune definitely had style and nothing so openly exposed like the Jag did.

Jaguar IMHO looks great until the CD player (which is needed for many homebrews obviously) is attached...

it really does look like a toilet :(