IGNORED

Is anyone running an Atari 2600 on a PC via coax to HDMI?

enzothebaker

I think you need to be a little clearer on what you're trying to do, and if possible, why?

When you say "on a PC", are you attempting to run it through your operating system or capture it? Are you simply using a PC monitor? Is that where the HDMI comes in? Are you using a stock 2600, if so, have you considered modding it?

• Like 2

What do you want to do? This sounds like you're on the wrong track. Coax to HDMI ? nope, not without a conversion box of some sort. But you have to be going from RF to a Coax input Conversion box, Then HDMI to a TV. The Quality will be total crap. I mod systems to be either UAV Rev D to HDMI or Composite to HDMI.

Thanks, guys. I'm just trying to pick the collective brain - I know there's a lot of clever and resourceful people here. My TV is good to go with coax, but the results are less than stellar. Rather than explore some form of improvement on my TV coax, I figured there might be some adapter + freeware solution out there to add to the spectrum of options. I run my primary TV input off a PC, so I figure that an HDMI solution seems reasonable in 2018 - ?

I guess the next question is, how important is it to use the physical cartridge? If you're okay with emulating, use your PC with HDMI out. If you want that real hardware feeling, you'll probably have to mod your system for composite/s-video and THEN use some sort of converter.

• Like 1

Many years ago I didn't have much room in my bedroom for a TV and a computer so I put a hauppauge TV tuner card in the computer(the card also had composite input) and I hooked my Playstation 2 to the computer that way and would play it. I think the card was a WinTV Go specifically but not sure. However it still wasn't running the PS2 on the computer it was just a means to get a video display without a TV. You wouldn't be running the Atari 2600 on the PC you would be connecting it to the PC but the PC would not be handling any of the Atari 2600s processing, unless you meant to say running an Atari 2600 emulator on a PC?

EDIT:

I see you also had in title "via coax to HDMI" so I'm assuming your computer has an HDMI port, but are you certain it isn't an HDMI out port or do you know for sure that it is an input(like your computer has a card like the one I mentioned I used to have but also includes HDMI IN? If so is that the only option you have for input or does it also have coax or composite because that would be the easiest route to go if you want to get the video from Atari into the computer. I would look into getting a tuner card with S-Video/composite inputs.

EDIT 2:

This is the card that I had.

Hauppauge_1034_WinTV_GO_Plus_PCI_TV_Tune

But I would try to find something which has S-Video input if your Atari is S-Video modded. If it isn't modded for composite or s-video though this card should work fine thru the tuner.

I don't know anything about this card https://www.ebay.com/itm/5188-1744-PCI-TV-Tuner-Card-Asus-Falcon2-NTSC-32-bit-33-M/112499785306?hash=item1a31827e5a:g:x4oAAOSwTLxZe5kj

but it has s-video and composite.

Edited by SignGuy81