IGNORED

Some new (not really) hardware made by tfhh

tf_hh

Have finished today new Stereo Boards.

Jurgen

Got my first Stereo board today Jurgen and everything is working brilliantly! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: thanks for helping get a decent stereo board the two POKEY's finally work not just one ;) . Sound is louder, clearer and has more ooomph!. :music: :music: :music:

Just need to start saving for the Sys-Check 2.2

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

tf_hh - sent you a PM. Posting here as well to see if anyone else has any thoughts...

Finally getting around to installing the 512 KB in my 600XL. Ran into a snag that I couldn't find any info on. This motherboard is fully socketed (AWESOME!!!), which poses a problem. The back of the boards pins will not sit flush in the ANTIC socket. The board is sitting against the upper chip. If I push it in, the board is slanted upward in rear.

After further testing, even if I get a low profile riser socket - even with the shield removed, the keyboard/top case will not sit flush with the unit. About a 1/4-1/2" gap.

So, it appears this expansion is not compatible with a "socketed" 600XL.

Thoughts, suggestions, ideas?

post-61269-0-87371700-1524786145_thumb.jpg

post-61269-0-04236400-1524786053_thumb.jpg

Hmm, shave 3mm off each pin on the headers? :P

HA! I thought of all kinds of not so smart things to try.

As you can see, it'ss not even in the soccket at that moment. Just sitting on top of it to show the amount of gap between the pins and the socket due to it resting on the 74LS08 IC.

tf_hh - sent you a PM. Posting here as well to see if anyone else has any thoughts...

Finally getting around to installing the 512 KB in my 600XL. Ran into a snag that I couldn't find any info on. This motherboard is fully socketed (AWESOME!!!), which poses a problem. The back of the boards pins will not sit flush in the ANTIC socket. The board is sitting against the upper chip. If I push it in, the board is slanted upward in rear.

After further testing, even if I get a low profile riser socket - even with the shield removed, the keyboard/top case will not sit flush with the unit. About a 1/4-1/2" gap.

So, it appears this expansion is not compatible with a "socketed" 600XL.

Thoughts, suggestions, ideas?

attachicon.gif04261818581.jpg

attachicon.gif0426181859a1.jpg

My guess would be, that the device was meant to plug into a machine pin socket. I do not really trust any other type of socket, especially when using a device with machine pins. If that were my machine, I would remove the dual wipe socket, and install a machine pin socket in its place.

My guess would be, that the device was meant to plug into a machine pin socket. I do not really trust any other type of socket, especially when using a device with machine pins. If that were my machine, I would remove the dual wipe socket, and install a machine pin socket in its place.

That's not the concern/issue. Even if I do replace the dual wipe socket with a machine pin socket, it will still sit too high in the rear due to the IC that is mounted under the board sitting on the 74LS08 IC. The only possible way this might fit the 600XL is to remove the 74LS08 socket, solder the IC directly to the board, remove the ANTIC socket and solder the 512 KB expansion board to the 600XL directly.

Two things happen...

1. I've removed the use of sockets of the 600XL

2. The expansion board still might not clear the 74LS08

It's a tight fit with little to no tolerance.

Also, even if I get it to fit, the bottom of keyboard hits the expansion board not allowing case to close properly.

Edited by NISMOPC

My goal was to add the din output to the 600XL and use it as my main 8-bit because of the small factor and top loading cartridge slot. I now have to rethink my alternatives. I have my original 800XL from when I was a teen, a 65XE and a 130XE. So might have to choose one of those as my daily now...

I guess you could test if it fits by removing the two sockets and just placing the board and the LS chip into the through-holes and see if it closes before soldering anything... but yeah, that sucks for future work if you commit to it.

My goal was to add the din output to the 600XL and use it as my main 8-bit because of the small factor and top loading cartridge slot. I now have to rethink my alternatives. I have my original 800XL from when I was a teen, a 65XE and a 130XE. So might have to choose one of those as my daily now...

That's too bad. The Antonia 4mb fits the 600xl nicely. Add a UAV to feed the AV DIN, and you've got a great compact 8-bit that will run just about everything, with beautiful video and very minimal soldering. Then put the 500kb in your 800xl.

Edited by JR>

There is a clearance issue on the 800XL as well. My solution was to solder the device direct to the motherboard after removing the ANTIC socket. Ideally, if all forty connections are direct (not diverted), the pin headers on the bottom would be replaced by a single precision socket sat flush with the adapter board, whose legs would in turn plug into the ANTIC socket. See the VBXE ANTIC adapter for a suitable low-profile solution.

There is a clearance issue on the 800XL as well. My solution was to solder the device direct to the motherboard after removing the ANTIC socket. Ideally, if all forty connections are direct (not diverted), the pin headers on the bottom would be replaced by a single precision socket sat flush with the adapter board, whose legs would in turn plug into the ANTIC socket. See the VBXE ANTIC adapter for a suitable low-profile solution.

What type of board were you working on Jon? My new 800XL ( Don't tell Mrs Vyper68 ;) i went and did it again ) is the one without the Freddie and it doesn't foul on any other chips unless it was the RF shielding you were referring to.

What type of board were you working on Jon? My new 800XL ( Don't tell Mrs Vyper68 ;) i went and did it again ) is the one without the Freddie and it doesn't foul on any other chips unless it was the RF shielding you were referring to.

The raised ANTIC was blocking the keyboard. I'll qualify this observation by the fact there are almost certainly keyboards of a lower profile which will not block the raised IC. But the case top with keyboard I tested would not sit correctly. The RF shield was completely omitted.

Jurgen makes really great gear, and my suggestion of using a countersunk socket instead of socket/header pins is just a suggested improvement which would guarantee clearance in all circumstances. Sometimes there are technical reasons why this isn't possible, of course (for example, if one of the ANTIC signals has to be intercepted and modified before actually reaching the motherboard).

Edited by flashjazzcat
  • Like 1

The raised ANTIC was blocking the keyboard. I'll qualify this observation by the fact there are almost certainly keyboards of a lower profile which will not block the raised IC. But the case top with keyboard I tested would not sit correctly. The RF shield was completely omitted.

Jurgen makes really great gear, and my suggestion of using a countersunk socket instead of socket/header pins is just a suggested improvement which would guarantee clearance in all circumstances. Sometimes there are technical reasons why this isn't possible, of course (for example, if one of the ANTIC signals has to be intercepted and modified before actually reaching the motherboard).

I have just looked at mine through the air vents with an LED light and it is very tight there is not much between the ANTIC and the underside of Keyboard PCB which is the type called Issue #1 based on the forum. I stored the RF shield away when i cleaned the XL. I 100% agree with you about Jurgen's items. The Stereo PCB is really good and it sounds great so i never even looked when i put the XL back together after fitting the RAM expansion.

Edited by Vyper68
  • Like 2

Got a package from tf_hh yesterday. Very quick and he was right on the mark with his predicted delivery time. Very well labeled and packed, I've never seen anti-static zip-loc bags before! Ideal for the pack-rat who always buys more enhancements than he can handle at the time and then has to think what those little boards were meant to do when rummaging through storage boxes... :grin:

• Like 4

@NISMOPC Is that the standard 512K expansion or the 600XL version Jurgen was talking about earlier in the thread?

It's the standard board - based on everything I read and understood, there was only one version (I have the newest one with the 3 pin connector). Did I overlook that there was a version made specifically for the 600XL???

It's the standard board - based on everything I read and understood, there was only one version (I have the newest one with the 3 pin connector). Did I overlook that there was a version made specifically for the 600XL???

If you look at post #10 in this thread Jürgen talks about a version specifically for the 600XL which I take to mean that the layout of the PCB to be altered to take account of the space constraints of the 600XL. I do not know for sure but that was how I read it. I don't know if that version is out yet as not owning a 600XL so I never chased that.

Edited by Vyper68

Had a recent PM conversation about using his Sys-Check board on a 600xl (which works great BTW) and he said this:

But, if you can wait... I´m working on a new expansion board specially for the 600XL. It´s absolute solderless, just plug-in. You get 64 KB base memory, 512 KB RAMBO & Compy-Shop compatible memory expansion, 4 or 7 (not finalized) operating systems, flash-ROM and some other goodies. Stay tuned

• Like 2

Had a recent PM conversation about using his Sys-Check board on a 600xl (which works great BTW) and he said this:

But, if you can wait... I´m working on a new expansion board specially for the 600XL. It´s absolute solderless, just plug-in. You get 64 KB base memory, 512 KB RAMBO & Compy-Shop compatible memory expansion, 4 or 7 (not finalized) operating systems, flash-ROM and some other goodies. Stay tuned

Sounds promising!!! I love the quality of his work, so maybe I'll be patient...

I LIKE that idea. Hmmm....

Might look into this! Thank you!!

Thanks to you for providing us with your experience.

I am looking fwd to expand the memory of a beaten 600xl I am restoring and this particular ram expansion seems to fit the bill, as long as can be adapted to the size restrictions of the computer.

• Like 1

What about using something like this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/282937326207?ViewItem=&item=282937326207

and a ribbon cable (old ide cable) to move the board far from the lower edge?

Well I almost pulled the trigger until I realized I need the opposite on the other end of the cable and apparently no one makes a 40P female socket to ribbon adapter. I would need to plug the expansion into a socket at other end. Was liking this idea until I hit that snag and seems like a breadboard soldered with 40 wires to a socket would be bulky and not ideal.