IGNORED

Some new (not really) hardware made by tfhh

tf_hh

1 hour ago, tane said:

the memory must be enabled with the xex every time the Atari is turned on (and every time such xex is executed the system freezes).

Hmm, that doesn't sound right - at least it's not how my v4.2 operates... It should boot up with 512KB in RAMBO mode from a cold start. I recall the utilities cleanly exiting for me, except maybe when switching to 64KB when SDX is using a bank of memory for buffers... 256K RAMBO mode restores bit 5 for ANTIC switching.

Can you try this extended RAM test, report how many banks detected in each mode? It may reveal a deficiency...

eXtended RAM test v0.21.0 (2003-09-16)(-XI-)(SK)(en)[128k].xex

If you have SDX 4.4x, if you can type mem /x in each mode, and see how many banks it reports as well.

10 hours ago, Nezgar said:

Or use super low profile socket strips, like this.. I have some but have not put them to use yet.

719788918_SuperLowProfileSockets.thumb.jpg.6923b12c7668fb513906a8dec683a19c.jpg

WHERE CAN I GET THIS??? I´m looking since years for a source. BEST Electronics sold them some years ago, mostly in DIP 20 package - they called it "Eyeletts" in the BEST catalogue (at the end of the catalogue). These ones can be perfectly used for all XL/XE systems, because the drilled holes for the pins are big enough. Ok, they must be very good cleaned from any rest of solder, but it works. Several years ago I used them for the POKEY in any 600XL for example, to install stereoboards. So the whole expansion can be installed WITH POKEY´s in sockets, it fits exactly.

Somebody said once a time ago, that the manufacturer was 3M. But I never find any, searching at Mouser, Digikey etc.

Any hint is very welcome!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, tane said:

But I have a behavior that is not clearly stated in the manual: there is a trick, because the memory must be enabled with the xex every time the Atari is turned on (and every time such xex is executed the system freezes). Such procedure is not documented in the PDF. I did some tests with Pang and Bomb Jack (320kb), turning on the Atari and immediately executing such games. Both don't work. It must be enabled the memory before, with the xex, and after that the games work.

The problem is the reset required in the middle, because the xex freezes the system. Regarding the Ultimate Cart, sometimes when pressing its button, and then the Atari Reset button, after that the card is not recognized. Sometimes happens very frequent and it's required to turn off and on the Atari. But if the expanded memory was enabled before, the configuration is lost when turning off the Atari. So it's impossible to use the memory.

@tf_hh Is there a solution for this?  Meaning something like a xex for enabling the memory that generates an auto reset of the system at the end, in order to avoid the behavior of the SD card of the cart.

I didn´t own an Ultimate Cart, but this behavior is absolute new. Please check the files with loading from SIO2PC, SIO2SD or SiDE, myIDE, ... I never heard about such problems before.

Will test it later here.

4 hours ago, tf_hh said:

WHERE CAN I GET THIS??? I´m looking since years for a source. BEST Electronics sold them some years ago, mostly in DIP 20 package - they called it "Eyeletts" in the BEST catalogue (at the end of the catalogue). These ones can be perfectly used for all XL/XE systems, because the drilled holes for the pins are big enough. Ok, they must be very good cleaned from any rest of solder, but it works. Several years ago I used them for the POKEY in any 600XL for example, to install stereoboards. So the whole expansion can be installed WITH POKEY´s in sockets, it fits exactly.

Somebody said once a time ago, that the manufacturer was 3M. But I never find any, searching at Mouser, Digikey etc.

I could use these too - where from 

If you’re willing to insert and solder individual recepticles, and can maybe do a little experimenting to ensure proper fit with your IC legs, things like these are available in various depths, diameters, etc.

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/mill-max-manufacturing-corp/0552-2-15-15-11-27-10-0/ED90096-ND/947104

• Like 1

10 hours ago, tane said:

Finally the 600XL worked with expanded memory, previously upgraded to 64kb. But I have a behavior that is not clearly stated in the manual: there is a trick, because the memory must be enabled with the xex every time the Atari is turned on (and every time such xex is executed the system freezes). Such procedure is not documented in the PDF. I did some tests with Pang and Bomb Jack (320kb), turning on the Atari and immediately executing such games. Both don't work. It must be enabled the memory before, with the xex, and after that the games work.

The problem is the reset required in the middle, because the xex freezes the system. Regarding the Ultimate Cart, sometimes when pressing its button, and then the Atari Reset button, after that the card is not recognized. Sometimes happens very frequent and it's required to turn off and on the Atari. But if the expanded memory was enabled before, the configuration is lost when turning off the Atari. So it's impossible to use the memory.

@tf_hh Is there a solution for this?  Meaning something like a xex for enabling the memory that generates an auto reset of the system at the end, in order to avoid the behavior of the SD card of the cart.

I did some testing. The games you mention are working fine with all of my memory expansions. I´ve done a similar setup (Atari 600XL, internal 64 KB upgrade, 512 KB SRAM memory expansion) and as usual and normal the 512 KB "RAMBO" mode is active after powering on (checkable with any expanded memory test utility). Then I run both games - fine, no problems.

When the memory expansion is switched off, I suppose that the Ultimate Cart software is writing to $D1xx - why ever. The software setup of all of my SRAM expansions is done with a write (!) access to $D1EE. I´ve searched all infos, textfiles, DeReAtari and dozens of other manuals, but no other hardware uses this specific address. Of course $D1xx is used for the PBI, but no existing driver etc. writes to $D1EE - at the time (3-4 years ago) where I created the first version.

Bit 0 enables/disables the expansion, Bit 1 sets the mode (512 KB RAMBO or 256 KB Compy-Shop with seperated ANTIC access). Because the OS and some other stuff writes zero´s to the Hardware I/O area ($D000-$D7FF), the meaning of the bits are negotiated. A logic "0" means "Memory Expansion switched on" (Bit 0) or "512 KB RAMBO mode active" (Bit 1).

So please try and check the expansion using normal DOS of any kind, load one of the many memory check tools and report. Thanks.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, tf_hh said:

WHERE CAN I GET THIS??? I´m looking since years for a source. BEST Electronics sold them some years ago, mostly in DIP 20 package - they called it "Eyeletts" in the BEST catalogue (at the end of the catalogue).

This is exactly where I got the ones pictured - from BEST. The exact line from my purchase on Jan 15 2019:

200 pcs I.C. Eyelets bag                                                                                          U$D  10.00

@DavidMil introduced these to me in this post: https://atariage.com/forums/topic/284005-so-much-much-for-my-trouble-shooting-skills/?do=findComment&comment=4143124

3 hours ago, DrVenkman said:

If you’re willing to insert and solder individual recepticles, and can maybe do a little experimenting to ensure proper fit with your IC legs, things like these are available in various depths, diameters, etc.

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/mill-max-manufacturing-corp/0552-2-15-15-11-27-10-0/ED90096-ND/947104

Ah nice - I guess you could apply each of them individually on the pins of a standard machine socket to hold them in place and straight during soldering, and remove the socket afterwards.

15 hours ago, tf_hh said:

I didn´t own an Ultimate Cart, but this behavior is absolute new. Please check the files with loading from SIO2PC, SIO2SD or SiDE, myIDE, ... I never heard about such problems before.

Will test it later here.

9 hours ago, tf_hh said:

So please try and check the expansion using normal DOS of any kind, load one of the many memory check tools and report. Thanks.

Machine: 600XL, NTSC, upgraded to 64kb, and with Memory Expansion v4.4 512kb Standard installed. However, for some reason is not working properly and is not automatically detected. Only works if the memory is enabled by software, without turning off the Atari.

I don't know what's happening, I have a 65XE with memory v4.2 and is always detected when turning on the Atari.

600XL: Video showing behavior (3 min)

Hardware Detect 1.5.xex

Edited by tane

I tested both of these utilities (Satantronic xram 0.21.0 and Hardware Detect 1.5) loading via my Ultimate cart (not sure which firmware version, I've never updated it since I got it a couple years ago) and 800XL with v4.2 512K module (for 576K total). My tests show 32 banks / 576K available right away without having to enable it first. Maybe an issue with a different Ultimate Cart firmware version...

@tane Are you able to boot to DOS via SIO and run these test programs with your Ultimate cartridge removed from the system to rule out the Ultimate cartridge causing the problem?

we did have to upgrade the ultimate carts for an issue not all that long ago that increase compatibility... you might be on to something, but he really needs to follow the troubleshooters advice and boot from DOS and not cartridge to work out when and where the issue come into play....

what version firmware is his ultimate running?

16 hours ago, tf_hh said:

Millmax does make low profile IC sockets, though they will likely be higher than those shown in the picture. Mouser.de has the low profile 40 pin DIP sockets listed below.

Millmax 115-47-640-41-003000, top of socket 0.095"(2.41mm) above PCB

Millmax 115-47-640-41-001000, top of socket 0.122"(3.10mm) above PCB

PS: I found the above sockets also listed on digikey.de at lower prices, but they are out of stock.

Edited by BillC
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Nezgar said:

Maybe an issue with a different Ultimate Cart firmware version...

17 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

what version firmware is his ultimate running?

On 4/14/2020 at 10:39 AM, tf_hh said:

The problem does not seem to be the Ultimate Cart, according to the following videos (being that compatibility improvements have been reported in a forum of the Cart). That cart was bought last December, I guess it has the latest firmware (I don't know how to see its firmware).

Test 2:

Testing the same Ultimate Cart in a different machine: 65XE, with Ram Expansion v4.2. Everything work as expected.

Test 3:

Testing the same cart in the original 600XL, previously tested with the Ram Expansion v4.4. But this time it was added in the socket of the v4.4, a new Ram Expansion v4.2, and then the Antic over the two expansions. Basically the version 4.4 is acting as a socket. The results of the following video are conclusive.

The version 4.2 works as expected in a 600XL.

@tf_hh The Ram Expansion 4.4 is not working properly. It's not automatically detected by the machine.

49 minutes ago, tane said:

@tf_hh The Ram Expansion 4.4 is not working properly. It's not automatically detected by the machine.

Sorry - but I´m becoming a little bit angry, because you constantly declined to do the simple troubleshoot tipp written by me and *several other people here*

Again: Use this hardware tester, XRAM or any other test utility WITH the V4.4 installed WITHOUT the Ultimate Cart booting a NORMAL DOS from SIO2SD, SIO2xx, SiDE, ... - but NOT the Ultimate Cart.

I´m sure you should know, that I´m a little bit experienced with Atari hardware, repair, moddings and creation of new things. So if I please you to perform a simple task, don´t waste your time making several useless videos. Just DO it. Thanks.

PS: Try to change the memory setup of the V4.2 with the tools you know. You will see: It won´t work.

PPS: The V4.2 uses another address, but this causes trouble. Was not official documented this time, so I don´t spread this widely.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, tf_hh said:

Sorry - but I´m becoming a little bit angry, because you constantly declined to do the simple troubleshoot tipp written by me and *several other people here*

At this time I don't have any working SIO device, only carts, that's the reason I didn't do further experiments, because I can't. I can't do an experiment with what I don't have on hand. ?

1 hour ago, Nezgar said:

Did you do any tests with v4.4 without the Ultimate Cart attached?

It turns on, but I don't know how to retrieve the memory size from the command line. Also with a Uno Cart. I don't have too many different devices, maybe someone else can replicate the experiments.

29 minutes ago, tf_hh said:

PS: Try to change the memory setup of the V4.2 with the tools you know. You will see: It won´t work.

I don't get you.

17 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

tane, can you throw together sio2pc cable? then have at it, cheap and easy, and you have so many parts laying around...

Ok I'll see later to build a SIO2PC cable.

58 minutes ago, tf_hh said:

don´t waste your time making several useless videos

PS: you have to point out the resistances, capacitors, addresses, firmware, etc., inside the v4.4 and/or the Ultimate Cart. Not to point out the helpful videos.

Edited by tane

Hi!

On 4/14/2020 at 5:15 AM, tf_hh said:

You can use this: https://www.mill-max.com/products/socket/614-xx-xxx-31-012000

The idea is that you buy a carrier board with the DIP-40 size. You place the pins in the carrier, solder to the board and then remove the carrier, so only the pins are left in the board, and the carrier can be reused if you buy pins to refill. The advantage is that the carriers with pins can be placed via a pick-and-place machine, so the process can be automated.

Have Fun!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

40 minutes ago, dmsc said:

You can use this: https://www.mill-max.com/products/socket/614-xx-xxx-31-012000

The idea is that you buy a carrier board with the DIP-40 size. You place the pins in the carrier, solder to the board and then remove the carrier, so only the pins are left in the board, and the carrier can be reused if you buy pins to refill. The advantage is that the carriers with pins can be placed via a pick-and-place machine, so the process can be automated.

Thanks for the info, but similar ones I´ve already tried. The 0.38 in diameter is too thick, 0.30 works mostly - BillC has already sent a reference some post above.

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/15/2020 at 3:09 PM, tf_hh said:

The V4.2 uses another address, but this causes trouble. Was not official documented this time, so I don´t spread this widely.

Regarding the issue discovered with the Firmware of the Ultimate Cart, the user @Faicuai has recently done a patch to the firmware to solve other details. However, in order to fix the firmware, Facuai is asking about details regarding the addresses / HW-registers used with the Memory Expansions, in post #107 of the Ultimate Cart topic. Being that version 4.2 works with the current firmware, and the version 4.4 not, it would be useful to know what was the change in the address, so then the Firmware can be fixed.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello @tf_hh

just a question regarding mini-speedy, is it working fine together with QMEG OS 4.04? I mean possibility to properly choose NORMAL or TURBO (Ultraspeed or Happy) mode under QMEG OS' menu and the drive is working accordingly?

Thank you in advance for clarification, the manual mentions following:

Some DOS and GameDOS loaders with highspeed support:

- SpartaDOS X (SDX) V4.xx

- Happy DOS 1050 (Single/Medium/Double Density enabled DOS 2.x clone from HCI)

- TOP DOS (some variants)

- XDOS 2.xx from Stefan Dorndorf (two versions; one with, one w/o Highspeed-SIO)

- PicoDOS from HiasSoft (GameDOS-Loader)

- BiboDOS 6.xx (from the developer of the Speedy, Compy-Shop)

-  and more

5 hours ago, Jacques said:

just a question regarding mini-speedy, is it working fine together with QMEG OS 4.04? I mean possibility to properly choose NORMAL or TURBO (Ultraspeed or Happy) mode under QMEG OS' menu and the drive is working accordingly?

Yes, QMEG also enables the Speedy series to use Highspeed SIO. As the QMEG programmer is a German and the Speedy comes from a former German company, this combination is found very often here and works fine together ?

• Thanks 1

• 9 months later...

I have installed the 512K RAM upgrade in an 800XL.  I would like some help in using the commands to change the configuration from 512K to 256K.  I have downloaded the file containing the files and I have loaded the ATR onto a S-Drive.  I have even loaded the file on the 800XL.  That is where my success stops.  I do not know how to get out of the XDOS environment back to BASIC or to anywhere else.  I am not familiar with XDOS.  I have downloaded all of the information I could find with the DOS commands.  The only thing I have been able to do with the DOS is load the menu.  

OK, by numerous attempts using trial and error, I figured out why I couldn't get to BASIC.  I was operating in my OMNIVIEW 80 OS and there was no BASIC.  I still don't know how to use the XDOS commands.  I would like to be able to copy files at least.

2 hours ago, hueyjones70 said:

I have installed the 512K RAM upgrade in an 800XL.  I would like some help in using the commands to change the configuration from 512K to 256K.  I have downloaded the file containing the files and I have loaded the ATR onto a S-Drive.  I have even loaded the file on the 800XL.  That is where my success stops.  I do not know how to get out of the XDOS environment back to BASIC or to anywhere else.  I am not familiar with XDOS.  I have downloaded all of the information I could find with the DOS commands.  The only thing I have been able to do with the DOS is load the menu.  

1 hour ago, hueyjones70 said:

OK, by numerous attempts using trial and error, I figured out why I couldn't get to BASIC.  I was operating in my OMNIVIEW 80 OS and there was no BASIC.  I still don't know how to use the XDOS commands.  I would like to be able to copy files at least.

XDOS is not so much different to other command-line DOS versions. Here are some commands for command-line DOS versions (most of them work with SpartaDOS, BeweDOS, RealDOS, DOS XL, Happy DOS, DOS II+D, XDOS, etc.):

- DIR: directory, e.g. DIR D2:*.*

- CAR: cartridge (goes to cartridge, e.g. Atari Basic, if available; READY should appear)

- COP filename.ext: copy file(s), e.g. COP D1:*.*,D2:*.*

- LOA filename.ext: load binary file, e.g. LOA JAVA.EXE

- LOC or PRO: lock/protect file(s), e.g. LOC *.*

- UNL or UNP: unlock/unprotect file(s), e.g. UNL *.*

- DEL or ERA filename.ext: delete/erase file, e.g. DEL WIN.EXE

- REN filename.ext,newname.ext: rename file, e.g. REN DOOM.EXE,BOOM.EXE

- TYP filename.ext: type/display file on the screen, e.g. TYP ENIGMA.TXT

Attached you will also find a short reference card for XDOS (uses german language, but you should still understand most of it; Datei = file or filename.ext, Gerät = device, Quellgerät/Zielgerät = source device/destination device, Laufwerk = drive, Abkürzung = abbreviation). If you still have questions, feel free to ask. Think there was an english manual and reference-card for XDOS, but could not find it now...

In XDOS you can also type BON or BOF to switch Atari Basic (if available) on/off.

XDOS_24_RK.pdf

• Like 1