IGNORED

Got my first IIe ....

sm3

Finally picked up a nice Apple IIe enhanced and while cleaning it up, noticed a black block plugged into the Game I/O port. Does anyone know what this is for? There are no real identifying marks on it. I was going to plug up my II plus joystick there.

The black block reminds me of a sealed battery, but being new to the IIe, I have no clue what it's for.

it is for 6 pins Apple Paddle or Joystick instead of standard 9 sub joystick. It is Apple joystick version, NOT Atari joystick.

Hello, yes, what I wanted to know is, there is small black plastic object plugged into the white Game I/O port on my IIe PCB. Is this just to protect the empty socket? Or is that black plastic thing with 2 rows of pins on the bottom used for some other purpose?

do you have an photo on it ? Sound like home-brew ?

Sure, I apologize for the size of the image ;)

This may be nothing, just something to preserve the Game I/O socket. Since I'm relatively new to Apple II's and this is my first IIe, I was just curious.

post-35256-0-64481100-1522548459_thumb.jpg

I has 2 of them. This is for spare piece of 6 pins. In case if at the end of game cable 's pin is broken or missing pins like that. It is good for replace the broken piece into this spare one. Mine is a little different, 2 of them are not for Apple I/O Game port and it is for something else.

I has 2 of them. This is for spare piece of 6 pins. In case if at the end of game cable 's pin is broken or missing pins like that. It is good for replace the broken piece into this spare one. Mine is a little different, 2 of them are not for Apple I/O Game port and it is for something else.

Mine seems to be sealed. I thought it might have been a sealed battery or something, but had no clue what it would have been used for in the Game I/O port. Thanks. I guess I'll hold onto it for when the joystick isn't plugged in.

Here's a shot of the IIe, I know everyone looks for pictures in these threads. Nothing major, I have a Microsoft SoftCard and my new CFFA3000 installed. I'm waiting for the 64k 80-column card to come in.

Before the IIe purchase, I used my IIc, IIc plus and have a II+

I was looking to get an Apple IIe Platinum, but they seem to be few and far between on eBay.

post-35256-0-54103100-1522607688_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

A picture of the *other* side would be very interesting. If it's all sealed up - it's probably a software protection dongle. Not a particularly common thing to do with the Apple II line, but they did happen from time to time. Not likely for protection of the socket; it's for protection of software. :-)

• Like 1

A picture of the *other* side would be very interesting. If it's all sealed up - it's probably a software protection dongle. Not a particularly common thing to do with the Apple II line, but they did happen from time to time. Not likely for protection of the socket; it's for protection of software. :-)

Ah, I didn't even consider that! There doesn't appear to be any further identifying marks besides what is underneath.

post-35256-0-76788600-1522639613_thumb.jpg

post-35256-0-79362800-1522639623_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks, yes, I've tossed it. Not going to waste any more time on it now that I know it's nothing crucial ;)

It would have been interesting to know how it worked...

Since there are Four Paddle Ports, that look for a Variable Resistors between 0 Ohms and 150K Ohms, you could make "a key" by using Four Resistors of the same or different values, and have your program read the values and determine if it's the Right Dongle...

MarkO

Too bad it was thrown away. But then again with general interest waning in Apple II hardware..

I still have it, didn't quite make it to the garbage can yet ;)

Just didn't have much more interest since it wasn't anything important. This whole thing started because it was occupying the slot I wanted to use for my joystick and had no clue if it was something I needed to keep.

Yes. It should be documented and examined.

Since some of you are curious, I've cracked it open and took some pictures. I'm afraid I didn't note which way it was oriented though when I removed it from the Game I/O port since I no longer cared.

post-35256-0-25616500-1525026843_thumb.jpg

post-35256-0-36174800-1525026850_thumb.jpg

post-35256-0-51788800-1525026858_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

OK here's the last 2 images I'll be uploading for this. Time for me to move on. Hopefully this will provide what you need.

Thanks for the Pictures.. If one of these needs to be built, we have the Circuit and Components....

MarkO