IGNORED

3D Zero SNES con troller adapter

I found a 3D Zero which was cheaper than a different model SNES controller player for the 3DO.

The 3D Zero is a little glitchy. During Pattank I plug it in the first controller and a SN fight stick from Ascii, and the control was doing random inputs along the the ones I did. Same with a genuine SNES controller.

Yet on PGA Tour 96, (beggars can't be choosers) I made the 3D Zero the 2Up of a 3Up set p, and all 3 cotrolleders responded like they should. Albeit it's not THAT demanding of a game, and could in theory be played with a single controller.

I'm just wondering if Pattank is the ONLY game that's glitchy with a 3D Zero or if other games mess up, most importantly, anything which would be better with a fight stick than a standard pad. (actually, anyhting where the L and R aren't meant to be used specifically as shoulder buttons wold work better with a fight stick than with a pad. By the way, I need to see it with a right handed joystick in PS2 format that can be converted to other formats.

If the 3D Zero is too glitchy, I would buy a ToTotek, except the ToTotek PS2->3DO adapter doesn't have a daisy chain port for additional 3DO controllers. If that's the case, should I have a Naki controller or a Goldstar 3DO controller pad hacked to be sacrificed for my right handed joystick system. I've never had a problem with the Naki on Pattank, so maybe the Naki would be the utilitarian option to sacrifice.

I'm looking at it for Street Fighter, Primal Rage, and Samurai Shodown and their ilk.

• 2 years later...
4 hours ago, RobertDaleSmith said:

@tripletopper, I am super curious if the 3D Zero works with MNEMO's USB Host mod for 3DO. Do you happen to have this as a part of your setup?

The 3D zero is the SNES controller adapter for the 3DO.

I'm not familiar with MNemo's USB host mod.  I'm running it on real Goldstar 3DO hardware.  The 3D zero does have a port for second 3DO controller.  So you do need one 3D zero for every SNES controller you want to use.  So Super Bomberman would need five 3D zeros.

By the way now I got a fight stick with discreet controls.  I use a Cthulhu to directly convert uncoded inputs on my flight stick to any of my systems one of them being an SNES.

I never heard of the Mnimo until you mentioned it on your email.  If you tell me more about it I'll see if I could do something to help you with my 3D zero.

The two controllers I tried them with are real SNES pads that were made by Nintendo for that system and a paradise arcade Cthulhu with the appropriate Super NES adapter.  Both games messed up with Paatank, but both worked well with soccer kid and PGA.

I don't really have that good of a 3DO collection I just happened to find a system and a couple games together for 10 bucks back in the 00s.  The only 3DO game I ever found at a thrift store loose that wasn't with the 3DO package I bought was soccer kid.  Everything else came with my 3D package I have.

Except Paatank because I thought a first person 3D quasi-pinball would be kind of weird and fun   It is ...for about 10 minutes then you realize it is the same  sitch over and over again.

I do not have any 8bitdo controllers.  The only SNES controllers I have are official SNES controllers and the paradise arcade Cthulhu with an attachment.

And an ASCII fight stick SN.  And a super scope 6.

Edited by tripletopper
Forgot paragraph stating I have no other SNES controllers

47 minutes ago, tripletopper said:

I can't tell what this is supposed to be? Is that a USB controller for the 3DO or is that a USB CD ROM on Flash Drive loader for the Goldstar 3DO?

This device is what is called an optical disc emulator. It basically replaces the CD drive in the console with a custom board that has a single USB port. You can then have backups of all your games on a single USB drive plugged into this board. When you boot it gives you a menu to select which game iso to boot.

Edited by RobertDaleSmith

What does the CD emulator have to do with my SNES 3DO controller adapter that's named the 3D Zero?

I assume if regular 3DO controllers work then so should 8bitdo controllers through the 3D Zero device...

... Except the tank which I found works with no Super Nintendo controller.  I wonder why that is.

Not that I'm going to lose sleep over the controller for the game or the game itself.

On 2/8/2021 at 11:43 PM, phoenixdownita said:

Title is .... something else  "con troller": is troller the comparative of troll.

Troll, troller, trollest.

(sorry couldn't resist, he means well, just me being mean, forgive me)

Hey sir you like the perfect felon that I could tease. 

But why tease that felon with anything less than the best.  Get the Con Troller.

And the perfect one for 3DO fan would be the 3D Zero.

Edited by tripletopper
Added second joke

10 hours ago, tripletopper said:

I assume if regular 3DO controllers work then so should 8bitdo controllers through the 3D Zero device...

You would think so but it does not work correctly with the SNES to 3DO adapter I have. (custom built)

10 hours ago, tripletopper said:

What does the CD emulator have to do with my SNES 3DO controller adapter that's named the 3D Zero?

Just like the tank game, my SNES adapter does not work with the USB Host's menu screen. I was curious to see if this is common across all SNES controller adapters for 3DO.

4 hours ago, RobertDaleSmith said:

You would think so but it does not work correctly with the SNES to 3DO adapter I have. (custom built)

Just like the tank game, my SNES adapter does not work with the USB Host's menu screen. I was curious to see if this is common across all SNES controller adapters for 3DO.

Is this across all games on the 3DO CD emulator, and the hardware that reads it? Or is it just Paatank (which is not a tank game  despite it's name.)

As I have an admittedly pathetic 3DO collection.

PS what do you think of the universal Jaguar license be the decimal that's expressed in hex as "3d0dead"?

On 2/10/2021 at 3:19 PM, tripletopper said:

Have you ever tried the 8bitdo SNES on the original Disc based hardware BEFORE altering the ROM loader from the original CD to the USB.

Maybe you can also plug in a USB CD drive to play it the original way.

My custom SNES to 3DO adapter works fine with all games booted from the USB Host. It just does not work with the main boot screen of the USB Host with any SNES controller.

But with the 8BitDo, maybe my question was unclear. It is unrelated to the USB Host.. I am interested in knowing if the 8BitDo SNES receivers work with the 3DZero in general.

I just bought one so I will figure it out for myself soon enough.

5 hours ago, RobertDaleSmith said:

My custom SNES to 3DO adapter works fine with all games booted from the USB Host. It just does not work with the main boot screen of the USB Host with any SNES controller.

But with the 8BitDo, maybe my question was unclear. It is unrelated to the USB Host.. I am interested in knowing if the 8BitDo SNES receivers work with the 3DZero in general.

I just bought one so I will figure it out for myself soon enough.

I have had a known incompatibility with Paatank.  Whether Nintendo brand, authorized third party (Ascii Fighter Stick) , or Paradise Cthulh.

Does your SNES to 3DO converter have a problem with Paatank?

Does your converter allow multiplayer?

• 1 month later...

@tripletopper I was able to get my hands on a 3DZero and it looks like it has the same issue with 8BitDo's wireless SNES receivers as my adapter. (incorrect button mapping, but hope to find a solution soon)

My SNES23DO adapter works great with Paatank and now supports multiplayer with two SNES controllers. Now I am working on adding a passthrough to allow additional 3DO controllers to daisy chain to my adapter.

Last night I was able to solve my problem with my adapter not working with MNEMO's 3DO USB Host device menu screen. ?

Once I get 3DO controller daisy-chaining working with my adapter, I am going to look at adding support for the SNES mouse. I picked up 3DO mouse recently and analyzed the signals under an oscilloscope. It should be possible to translate SNES mouse signals to match the 3DO mouse's signals. ?

Makes me wonder if I can make an NES Zapper work