IGNORED

Entry 2018: Deep Zone

Actually I think the new zoomed sprite for perspective looks great!

I would have a suggestion: make the player ship bigger probably using zoom.

Also starting on 3x3 pixel sprite make legs visible even if it's only a missing pixel in the bottom center of square.

Nice work :) :thumbsup:

If you can figure out a consistant origin to remove the jitters then this could look good. The enemies still lose and re-grow their legs, but that is a simple fix if you wish to do so.

The way you described your sprite allocation makes my method seem inconventient, but using a combination of 'doubley' and 'flipx' arguments with two sprites would require only two tiles to draw my enemies, not four. That is why the bottom row of enemies in the bitmap I provided are cut in half vertically.

If you can figure out a consistant origin to remove the jitters then this could look good. The enemies still lose and re-grow their legs, but that is a simple fix if you wish to do so.

The way you described your sprite allocation makes my method seem inconventient, but using a combination of 'doubley' and 'flipx' arguments with two sprites would require only two tiles to draw my enemies, not four. That is why the bottom row of enemies in the bitmap I provided are cut in half vertically.

Yes I know that I can save tiles in GRAM in this way, but I cannot avoid to use 2 sprite planes which in total are only 8.

To display the complete figure I would need 2 "half" sprites but all the sprite planes are already used for active enemies (4) main player (2) and for bullets (2 multiplexed to seem 4)

Now I multiplex sprites for bullets, in fact they flicker, and I could multiplex also sprite planes for enemies when they pass the size of 8, but I think that the flickering would be unpleasant, especially when you pass the size of 8.

So in the end I think it is not a valid option.

Actually I think the new zoomed sprite for perspective looks great!

Yeah, but that's because you use them in your games too. :P

I think that the zoom level is also incompatible with the scale of the player's ship, but unlike you, I wouldn't recommend scaling up that one too. The game will start to look like a Fisher Price "my first big bloxel game" for toddlers.

dZ.

I eager to see your visual improvements on Space Patrol too...

Sure. Go ahead and hold your breath. Any day now. :P

In the meantime, if you don't want me play-testing your game and providing feedback, that's perfectly fine; one less thing to take up my spare time.

Good luck with your game. I hear there's a Gyruss clone coming too, perhaps they can also use your code to zoom sprites.

dZ.

I eager to see your visual improvements on Space Patrol too...

Sure. Go ahead and hold your breath. Any day now. :P

In the meantime, if you don't want me play-testing your game and providing feedback, that's perfectly fine; one less thing to take up my spare time.

Good luck with your game. I hear there's a Gyruss clone coming too, perhaps they can also use your code to zoom sprites.

dZ.

Hey guys :twisted: , guess who is a moderator here in the Intellivision Programming forum :grin:

• Like 1

Ooooooh, you played that card, uh?

OK then. I guess I also don't have to post in the Intellivision Programming forum at all.

dZ.

Not saying that. Just that this particular thread is growing curiously in an endless discussion of pick and poke.

Ooooooh, you played that card, uh?

OK then. I guess I also don't have to post in the Intellivision Programming forum at all.

dZ.

Proposal: why don't you enter in the competition? There is already a plenty of judges but very few contestants.

It is a constructive way to prove your ideas in game development and test the use of intybasic.

Edited by artrag
  • Like 1

Proposal: why don't you enter in the competition? There is already a plenty of judges but very few contestants.

It is a constructive way to prove your ideas in game development and test the use of intybasic.

Good point. The reason is that I don't know IntyBASIC, and don't have the time/motivation/interest/whatever to learn it. It's a fine language, I just don't program in it.

Also, I have many other projects already which take my attention, some of them related to programming Intellivision games, including a game development framework. The last thing I want is to figure out yet another platform.

But fair point, I'll refrain from providing feedback in this forum since the attitude seems to be "make your own damn game," and I haven't. *shrug*

dZ.

Judges cannot enter the contest.

Good point. The reason is that I don't know IntyBASIC, and don't have the time/motivation/interest/whatever to learn it. It's a fine language, I just don't program in it.

Also, I have many other projects already which take my attention, some of them related to programming Intellivision games, including a game development framework. The last thing I want is to figure out yet another platform.

But fair point, I'll refrain from providing feedback in this forum since the attitude seems to be "make your own damn game," and I haven't. *shrug*

dZ.

I think your advice is valious and anyone is free of taking it or refusing to do it. In fact some of my games have improved with your suggestions.

As in any forum if someone answers you sarcastically, he doesn't deserve your advice. You don't have to quit altogether of the Programming forum, because there are more developers that certainly will appreciate your suggestions, including myself. ;)

• Like 1

I think that in the end I will keep the magnified sprites only for explosions and special items (last 4 lines of sprites in the two sheets) and that normal enemies will have only 8 scales of zoom.

I've already implemented support for flipX attribute in the two frame animations.

I do not know if add flipY support, it could work for the bat in the first line, saving 5 tiles..but for now It fits in the gram.

post-22013-0-83525000-1523653621_thumb.gif

post-22013-0-62598200-1523653636_thumb.gif

post-22013-0-90383900-1523653756_thumb.gif

post-22013-0-41678700-1523653766_thumb.gif

post-22013-0-60177300-1523653925.png

post-22013-0-59813000-1523653961.png

Anyway, I played the latest ROM.

I really like the music with the ECS enabled. I still have issue with enemies that comes from behind you and i think it should stay at 1 phase and not 2. I think the additional phase having enemies coming in from behind on the opposide side of your position, and then boomerang towards your position. I often game over before facing the boss. Add 1up when the score is 5000 points.

The boss's energy meter overwrote the some of the shot graphics. So you see the meter coming you.

Edited by Kiwi

I've changed the entry point of waves 6 and 7, reordered the tiles to avoid energy bar to interfere with tiles for bullets and explosions and changed the appearance of the first enemy in wave 0 (but I do not like it neither in this way). Still WIP on bonuses and power-up

dzgorf.rom

Edited by artrag
  • Like 3

I've added other sfx's and some bonuses. Use keys of controller 2 to select among shield,speed up,double,bomb and 1 up (you have to collect the flashing globes).

Note: max speed is 4 (3d indicator on the right)

The shield decreases with time and with impacts with bullets

I've only to decide the logic to present bonuses as the game goes on.

I will probably remove the asteroid warp after the second boss and redo musics to make room for new enemies (I'm thinking to enemies with shields) and to randomized enemies

dzgorf.rom

Edited by artrag
  • Like 1

I did a small addition to the intro screen (animated screen field in background).

I've found that when you take more than 1 speed up, the main ship can jiggle between two angles while the player keeps pressing the disk in a given direction.

I've to solve the issue.

Bonuses can be activated by the second controller pressing keys 1-5 (other keys will cause strange objects appear, that if collected can hang the game)

dzgorf.rom

• Like 1

artrag

it's a great game i like it much, it's the coolest (edit: hottest) space shooter we have i feel and the controls work perfect to play on the console.

i don't know on which game you oriented yourself (or i don't know the game, stupidly i had this "pause" from '86 to '88 when i lost my mind), but i threw countless coins into "Gyruss" which is somewhat similar (except you have no bosses).

Edited by Gernot