IGNORED

Entry 2018: Deep Zone

Hi Grenot, I've seen your video and your box art. Thanks for testing the rom on real HW. On LTO Flash you should be able to select ECS in the configuration menu to enable the 2nd psg.

The current rom should use it both during in-game music and for voice playback. I'm trying to change the musics in order to use 2 PSG's in all musics.

I see than on real TV the star field is almost invisible due to the fact that its color is not very bright. I could make more evident.

Moreover in this version, when you pick the double shoot (keep pressed '3' on the second controller and collect the flashing globes), the main ship start flickering (to make room to the extra bullets).

I'm curious to know if on real TV the result is acceptable.

PS

In attach the last version with some small fixes

PPS

The game was broadly inspired by the 2nd stage of Gorf with a strong influence from Gyruss.

dzgorf.rom

The game mechanics are almost complete, at least during normal game play.

Collect the glowing spheres to have bonuses and power up. The colors mean :

SPR_LIGHTBLUE speed up (up to 4),

SPR_PURPLE double shoot,

SPR_BROWN bombs (as many you can),

SPR_DARKGREEN shield (energy will decrease with time and hits, unless you do not get new shield spheres),

SPR_PINK one up (as many you can)

To use bombs (when you have them) use bottom left button

To make new bonuses appear, kill enemies.

I have to tune the sequence of bonuses.

AR

PS

I've already updated the bonus sequence to give double shot if you have already speed after you die

dzgorf.rom

Edited by artrag
  • Like 1

In this version bombs can kill also bosses. Using shields and bombs, it is quite simple to reach level 64 or more ;-)

To do (not in order of relevance)

- visual effects for bombs (especially when bosses are hit)

- new sequences for enemies (I can mix all kind of enemies at each time, I want to try to see what I get)

- enemies protected by shields (same white shield like the player ship, but to be destroyed in few hits)

- add two new bullets/missiles to later bosses (now they cast just 2 directional bullets at time)

- add barrier to bosses

- add unarmed enemies in the interstitial warps

- remove the second interstitial warp with meteors

- rewrite musics to use 6 channels everywhere.

dzgorf.rom

In this version bombs can kill also bosses. Using shields and bombs, it is quite simple to reach level 64 or more ;-)

To do (not in order of relevance)

- visual effects for bombs (especially when bosses are hit)

- new sequences for enemies (I can mix all kind of enemies at each time, I want to try to see what I get)

- enemies protected by shields (same white shield like the player ship, but to be destroyed in few hits)

- add two new bullets/missiles to later bosses (now they cast just 2 directional bullets at time)

- add barrier to bosses

- add unarmed enemies in the interstitial warps

- remove the second interstitial warp with meteors

- rewrite musics to use 6 channels everywhere.

Improved visual effects for bombs: now the screen will flash shortly when you cast a bomb.

Improved attach for the bosses: now they can flood the player of directional bullets (up to 4 on the screen).

dzgorf.rom

Hey Artrag, I've been playing your latest build (April 24) for a while on my Sears system, it's quite addictive.

I like the graphics, despite all the earlier discussion in this thread I think they work pretty well.

A couple of questions that perhaps are explained already in this thread but I can't find them so I will ask:

what are all the numbers/scores onscreen?

I figured in the stack of 4 in upper right the top red number is ships remaining but what are the other 3?

and what are the yellow numbers on bottom left?

It took me a while to figure out the movement controls but now I understand them.

The ship seems to move quite slow at first but then get faster, or am I imagining that?

Or am I getting the speed up power ups?

Also what about an option to turn music on/off? After a while of playing it gets quite repetitive,

don't take this personally, I usually turn music off or way down in most games that have this option.

Overall I really like the game, I would definitely buy a finished version.

The top right indicators are

Lives

Level

Speed

Bombs

Collect flashing globes to increase speed, bombs and lives. Other globes give you double bullets or barriers.

Cast Bombs using the lower left button

If you collect a barrier you will see an extra indicator bottom right with the energy of the shield which decreases with time and hits.

Bottom left counter is for debugging

Edited by artrag

I have found that you can still collect bonuses while exploding and revive, it is not fully usual but fun. I think that I will remove this feature.

I can also limit the flickering of the main ship to the time extra bullets are on the screen, but it could be not worth of implement it.

I am also thinking to an alternative game mode without 3d tunnels.. Just because it is easy to implement

one other thought, can bombs be both lower side buttons?

I hold the controller in my left hand and spin disc with my right so the lower left is a bit awkward to reach with my left thumb.

In this version you can use both lower buttons to cast bombs and if you press 1 in the title screen you will start without music.

Warp of meteors is removed and the reviving glitch is still there.

dzgorf.rom

Edited by artrag

• 4 weeks later...