IGNORED

ColEm Emulator for Windows, Android, and Linux

BTW Marat, re possible ADAM improvements, Geoff Oltmans has made numerous enhancements to Marcel's ADAMem v1.0 and the latest SDL release with source code is v1.81. I have v2.0beta, but still testing it after a long hiatus due to coaching baseball.

Oh, I have started with AdamEm's AdamNet code as well, using it as example for my own code. Something is still off though, since I cannot get it to work fully. Looks like AdamNet was actually a hardware + software solution, but the emulation only simulates AdamNet's software responses. Difficult to get them right.

• 2 weeks later...

Can someone explain how to set the full screen resolution?

It defaults to the highest my graphics card can do which is kind of blind assumption that that is what they want.

My system can handle 4k but I keep it at 1080p for a reason.

I can't find it in the menu anywhere to select full screen resolution size.

Alt-Enter

Also, under the video pull down menu there's an item Full screen mode or Stretch to full screen

Edited by ChuckH

Yea, I got that.
But it doesn't allow you select what resolution your full screen mode is.
It just automatically uses the highest mode your system can produce which was 4k but I don't want 4k it slows down my machine and in Windows 10 it displaces the icons and a host of crap when it returns from 4k.

I even looked in the save ini and there is nothing that references it.

Could it be that is just one more thing to be installed on Tuesday as they say.

Believe me when I say I love Marats work but beyond COLEM there isn't much else other than MESS/MAME for ADAM and his COLEM ADAM doesn't currently work. As a matter of fact, being whiny, COLEM is annoying at times but it does play SGM games.

Edited by Mike Harris

It just automatically uses the highest mode your system can produce which was 4k but I don't want 4k it slows down my machine and in Windows 10 it displaces the icons and a host of crap when it returns from 4k.

If I remember correctly, it is *supposed* to choose the smallest screen mode sufficient to show the Coleco screen (with special effects). It is posisble that what you get is the only screen mode DirectX reports available though. Will check what is going on.

Hello, All!

ColEm 4.6.4 for Android, a new release of my ColecoVision emulator, is now available from Google Play:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fms.colem-- free version

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fms.colem.deluxe-- full version

Starting with this release, you can assign volume controls and other special keys to gamepad buttons. I also added support for diagonal directional keys Android defines since Nougat. A bunch of other button assignment issues have been fixed. Finally, I have fixed the bug where the action bar would get "stuck" after adding a Cheat Hunter watch. See below for all the changes.

ALL CHANGES:

* Media keys can now be assigned to perform gamepad functions.

* Refactored "Settings | Input | Assign Joystick Keys" code.

* Fixed bug where button, used to close mapping dialog, was added to mappings.

* Added support for diagonal keypad buttons, present since Android-24.

* Fixed "Settings | Input | Assign Keyboard Keys" functionality.

* Fixed problem starting a game with ColEm when ColEm Deluxe is installed.

* Fixed action bar stuck after using "Cheats | Cheat Hunter | Add Watch" dialog.

* Fixed desktop shortcuts not working on some filenames.

* Fixed starting some files from the Gallery.

Two of my apps, iNES and AlmostTI, are currently on sale at Google Play for $2.99:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fms.ines-- iNES

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fms.ati-- AlmostTI

Enjoy!

• 5 weeks later...

Hello, All!

ColEm 4.6.5, a new version of my ColecoVision emulator for Android, is now out:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fms.colem-- free version

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fms.colem.deluxe-- full version

This version adds the ability to hide dot-files created when transferring content from Apple computers. There is also a new option to force all saves to /sdcard/ColEm folder. Finally, ColEm Deluxe is currently on sale for $1.99. See below for all the changes.

ALL CHANGES:

* Added "Settings | General | Hide Dot Files" option.

* Enable hiding dot-files to ignore system files created by MacOS.

* Added "Settings | General | Prefer App Folder" option.

* Enable app folder preference to save new files to the application folder.

* Fixed "Completely Delete File" menu option.

PS: Also on sale is AlmostTI, my TI graphing calc emulator. You can get it for $2.99 at the moment:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fms.ati

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I was just wondering if you have any plans to add F18A support to ColEm?

Can't say until I see the documentation on this thing, and some software that is specific to it. So far, it looks like an FPGA-based TMS9918 emulator that outputs VGA signal. In that case though, there would be nothing to emulate: ColEm already "outputs" "VGA signal", in a way. :)

Can't say until I see the documentation on this thing, and some software that is specific to it. So far, it looks like an FPGA-based TMS9918 emulator that outputs VGA signal. In that case though, there would be nothing to emulate: ColEm already "outputs" "VGA signal", in a way. :)

The F18A is much more than that. Amongst other things the F18A has the following enhancements:

* 640×480@60 analog VGA output to drive a standard computer monitor.
* A binary compatible TMS9900-based GPU.
* Horizontal and vertical scroll registers with page support (similar to the NES).
* All 32 sprites can be displayed on the same scan line. The 4-sprite maximum on a horizontal line limitation was removed.Removed the VDP “speed limit”, so you can not over run reading or writing to the F18A. The F18A’s internal state machines run at 100MHz, so they can easily keep up with the host system.
* 64 programmable 12-bit color registers, which means a 4096 color palette.
* A real bitmap layer with up to 4 colors per pixel (2-bit color).
* Enhanced attributes for tiles and sprites.
* Each sprite can set its own 8×8 or 16×16 size independently.
* Sprites can be “linked”, which allows you to move multiple sprites by updating just one sprite’s coordinates.
* 1-bit, 2-bit, and 3-bit color modes for tiles and sprites.
* A “fixed” tile map that allows individual tiles to not be affected by scrolling.
* Programmable horizontal scan line interrupt.
* Read access to all VDP registers.

More details can be found in the attachments to this thread.

All right, downloaded the documentation from that thread. Is there any software exercising all these wonderful features?

Well some of digress's games have F18A enhanced modes but not sure of exactly which F18A features are used. I believe Tank Mission may be the game that utilises the F18A the most on the CV to date.

The first three games in Opcode's Color Line games display using the enhanced color palette of the F18A if present.