IGNORED

ColEm Emulator for Windows, Android, and Linux

Well some of digress's games have F18A enhanced modes but not sure of exactly which F18A features are used. I believe Tank Mission may be the game that utilises the F18A the most on the CV to date.

The first three games in Opcode's Color Line games display using the enhanced color palette of the F18A if present.

Well, I cannot promise the complete TMS9900 emulation, but can try adding the palette and a few more things. Will see.

• Like 1

Until he gets around to adding this and that, which takes time, try using MESS/MAME which is complete with ADAM support.

There are various other emulators out there like this one

EmulTwo

https://github.com/alekmaul/pvcollib/tree/master/emulators/emultwo

It has a few sound issues but has F18A, Super Game, Mega Cart and Zx81 31 in 1 rom support.

This one is my favorite and I use it for my development because it is drag and drop, scalable, no toying around.

Debugger, Screenshot, definable keys for all controllers.

I am in contact with the author and it is still being worked on and it is 100% FREE.

It seems to have been programmed in a modern language, you need no libraries, no support files, an all in one executable.

Exactly what you want in a program for the 21st century.

As I mentioned, it has a few bugs but at the same time I've played a bunch of super games on it with zero issues other than sound.

Then of course is the Blue MSX which has not been updated in years.

Edited by Mike Harris

@GarageResearch - Bug Report

Thought I should let you know that there appears to be a bug in the ColEm emulation that is highlighted in the bears stage when playing Carnival. When there are two or three bears it is possible in ColEm v4+ to keep firing away from the bears and still score hits (50 points) each time. Each time the fire button is pressed the previous bullet disappears, 50 points are gained, and a new bullet is fired. This can be seen in the video here (uses ColEm 4.0 for Windows) : http://atariage.com/forums/topic/287329-colecovision-hsc-season-12-round-2-carnival/?p=4202086

I tested this in ColEm 4.6 for Windows and see the same bug occurring.

Bmack36 reports here (http://atariage.com/forums/topic/287329-colecovision-hsc-season-12-round-2-carnival/?p=4203384) that "... the issue happened at one point on the phoenix code but was later fixed. When it does that you are actually getting points for each shot fired. I think the game assumes you are still hitting the lower bear which has already gone off the screen, so your score really jumps with a bunch of shots."

Hope this helps with resolving this bug.

• Like 1

@GarageResearch - Bug Report

Thought I should let you know that there appears to be a bug in the ColEm emulation that is highlighted in the bears stage when playing Carnival. When there are two or three bears it is possible in ColEm v4+ to keep firing away from the bears and still score hits (50 points) each time. Each time the fire button is pressed the previous bullet disappears, 50 points are gained, and a new bullet is fired. This can be seen in the video here (uses ColEm 4.0 for Windows) : http://atariage.com/forums/topic/287329-colecovision-hsc-season-12-round-2-carnival/?p=4202086

Could you please attach a .STA file saved at the stage (and the number of bears) when this issue occurs? This will help me recreate it here and debug.

I have a serious question.

Why is it that EVERY SINGLE ADAM EMULATOR out there has to automatically execute a cartridge if it's attached.

Mess/mame does this and give you no choice to boot from other media.

ADAMEM does this as well, at least every incarnation.

the virtual adam, adam 2018...

I am finding impossible to transfer my program over to a real ADAM for testing because these kind of things.

I have tried COPYCART, The Hackers Guide version. It just goes on.

Nowhere has there ever been an ADAM that defaults to the cartridge slot yet all the emulators do.

Any ideas? Future revisions to fix all this? or just bringing it to the international attention.

Edited by Mike Harris

Why is it that EVERY SINGLE ADAM EMULATOR out there has to automatically execute a cartridge if it's attached.

I am finding impossible to transfer my program over to a real ADAM for testing because these kind of things.

Nowhere has there ever been an ADAM that defaults to the cartridge slot yet all the emulators do.

Any ideas? Future revisions to fix all this? or just bringing it to the international attention.

mame.exe adam -flop1 "C:\Coleco ADAM Images\Disks\Donkey Kong (Coleco Adam).dsk"

The above launches MAME emulating the ADAM computer at launch accessing the floppy disk drive utilizing the "Donkey Kong (Coleco Adam)" disk image noted.

mame.exe adam -cass1 "C:\Coleco ADAM Images\DDP\Donkey Kong (Coleco Adam).ddp"

The above launches MAME emulating the ADAM computer at launch accessing the cassette utilizing the "Donkey Kong (Coleco Adam)" digital data pak noted.

Thanks Trebor...

However I have no possibility of copying my homebrew cart image to a copycart disk or whatever other medium because of what I just mentioned.

You put a cart in the emulator and every single one of them launches the cartridge and not any other drives.

A real ADAM does not work that way.

You can have a cartridge in it all day because the ADAM has 2 reset buttons.

Edited by Mike Harris

Wrong, Wrong and Wrong again.

ADAMem DOS and ADAMem SDL do not automatically execute the cartridge rom image as long as you use the switch -adam . You gotta read the instructions. I am also pretty sure that Mame/Mess function correctly as Trebor has stated, I just haven't used them in years.

Now, Virtual ADAM frontend made by Steve Pitman does contain this bug, but it's not the fault of the ADAMem emulator that is included in the Virtual ADAM package. It is a known issue with the frontend that Steve never got around to fixing,

I personally use ADAMem SDL by Geoff Oltmans and the frontend ADAMem Manager by Marcel de Kogel as my preferred ADAM emulator setup although I love all the extras built into the frontend Virtual ADAM.

ColEm still does not emulate the sound in S'Quish Em Sam and Sewer Sam correctly, Maybe I don't have the latest version, I don't know. I think I have version 4.4. It is dated 4-7-2018. MESS and CoolCV has the sound correct. Just some feedback. I do like ColEm.

ColEm still does not emulate the sound in S'Quish Em Sam and Sewer Sam correctly, Maybe I don't have the latest version, I don't know. I think I have version 4.4. It is dated 4-7-2018. MESS and CoolCV has the sound correct. Just some feedback. I do like ColEm.

It's the same in v4.6 which I believe is the latest.

• 2 weeks later...

I will check them out. It usually indicates that a game does some really unholy hack to produce whatever sound it produces. Still, worth trying to fix.

• 3 weeks later...

Chuck, I have tested both games on ColEm-Windows and compared them to video recordings from YouTube. Both games seem to play the sound just fine. Could you please clarify what you mean by incorrect sound emulation in these games? Please, provide as much detail as possible.

Chuck, I have tested both games on ColEm-Windows and compared them to video recordings from YouTube. Both games seem to play the sound just fine. Could you please clarify what you mean by incorrect sound emulation in these games? Please, provide as much detail as possible.

ColEm does not emulate the digitised speech that can be heard when playing Squish 'em Sam and on a real ColecoVision. Sam can occasionally be heard saying "Squish 'em" and "Wow" when destroying the bugs in the game, as well as "Ouch" when a falling object hits him. Watch a few minutes of this video starting at 1:25 and you will see. https://youtu.be/K8oNO90K5u4?t=85

This video of Sewer Sam shows him saying things like "Oh no" at the beginning when he falls down the manhole and occasionally during gameplay. He also says "ouch" when he is hit. https://youtu.be/OJSlobPIBJE

ColEm does not emulate the digitised speech that can be heard when playing Squish 'em Sam and on a real ColecoVision. Sam can occasionally be heard saying "Squish 'em" and "Wow" when destroying the bugs in the game, as well as "Ouch" when a falling object hits him. Watch a few minutes of this video starting at 1:25 and you will see. https://youtu.be/K8oNO90K5u4?t=85

Oh, THAT. I suspected it would be something of the kind. SN76489 PSG does not really have any wave synthesis hardware, so these effects are produced with some hacks. Looking into them right now, but can't guarantee these can be fully emulated without throwing current SN76489 emulation out of the window.

Oh, THAT. I suspected it would be something of the kind. SN76489 PSG does not really have any wave synthesis hardware, so these effects are produced with some hacks. Looking into them right now, but can't guarantee these can be fully emulated without throwing current SN76489 emulation out of the window.

Maybe have a chat with nanochess. He has it working in CoolCV.

Maybe have a chat with nanochess. He has it working in CoolCV.

It is not difficult to make this work if you are writing SN76489 emulation from scratch. ColEm PSG emulation plugs into some EMULib infrastructure that works in terms of frequency / volume pairs. That is what lets ColEm record console tunes directly to MIDI. Also makes fake wave synthesis tricks difficult though. But looking into it anyway, since it all depends on how the trick is being done.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Hello, All!
I have published ColEm 4.6.6 for Android, a new version of my ColecoVision emulator:
This version includes native support for 64bit ARM CPUs and fixes accelerated audio on newer Androids. Unfortunately, I had to disable Cheatopedia, Cheat Editor, and Cheat Hunter features, since Google Play no longer allows them and bans any apps that come with game cheating features. You can reenable these features yourself, by downloading this file and unzipping it to the "/sdcard/ColEm" folder:
See below for all the changes.
ALL CHANGES:
* Added native support for 64bit ARMv8 CPUs.
* Fixed accelerated sound on newer Androids.
* Had to remove the cheats, since Google Play no longer allows them and bans apps containing cheats.
* You can reenable cheats yourself, see help page for details.

* Switched to Gradle build.

• 3 weeks later...
Hello, All!
I have published ColEm 4.6.7 for Android, a new version of my ColecoVision emulator:
This version makes it easier to reenable Cheatopedia and other cheat features. All you need is download the following file into your Downloads folder, and the app will take care of the rest:
I also upgraded the build to use Android Pie SDK, fixed saved state compatibility between 32bit and 64bit modes, fixed State Exchange and box art download on newer Androids. Also, you can now open the action bar with a horizontal fling along the top or the bottom screen edge. The ColEm Deluxe is currently on $1.99 sale at Google Play. See below for all the changes.
ALL CHANGES:
* Automatically unzipping ColEm-Cheats.zip, if found in Downloads.
* Now searching for ROOT.chts in /sdcard/ColEm and all its subfolders.
* Now able to show action bar with horizontal flings at screen top/bottom.
* Fixed State Exchange and artwork downloads on newer Androids.
* Fixed saved state compatibility between 32bit and 64bit architectures.
* Fixed several problems saving and loading TMS9918 state.
* Fixed native OpenSLES sound on newer Androids.
* Fixed a possible crash in Java code.
* Fixed toolbar application links.
* Switched to Android-28 SDK (Pie).
* Oldest supported OS is now Android-9 (Gingerbread).

Enjoy!

• 4 weeks later...

Hey there, I'm having an issue with ColEm and I was hoping you could help me. I'm writing a review of a game and I need to take screenshots of the Coleco version. According to the instructions, F10 is supposed to take a screenshot, but when I press it, there is no indication of a screenshot having been taken. I can't find any image files of the game on my computer. I checked the folder where the emulator is, My Documents, My Pictures, and I can't find anything. I'm using version 4.6 on Windows 10. Please help me!

Hello, All!
ColEm 4.6.9, a ColecoVision emulator for Android, is now online in Google Play Store:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fms.colem -- free version
I have fixed tilt joystick functionality and display rotation after using tilt joystick. Also, pressing the BACK button now reveals the action bar. As you remember, I had to disable cheat features to avoid Google staff banning ColEm from the store. You can easily reenable cheats by downloading this file to your Downloads folder:
See below for all the changes in this release.
ALL CHANGES:
* Fixed tilt joystick operation.
* Fixed screen rotation after disabling the tilt joystick.
* Now showing action bar when the BACK button is pressed once.
* Fixed saving files to /sdcard/ColEm when current folder not writable.
PS: Two of my emulators are currently on sale at Google Play:
$1.99 fMSX Deluxe --The complete version of my MSX home computer emulator:
$2.99 MasterGear -- Sega MasterSystem, GameGear, and SG-1000 emulator:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fms.mg
Have fun!

Hey there, I'm having an issue with ColEm and I was hoping you could help me. I'm writing a review of a game and I need to take screenshots of the Coleco version. According to the instructions, F10 is supposed to take a screenshot, but when I press it, there is no indication of a screenshot having been taken.

The instructions you are trying to follow are for the ancient MSDOS version. On Windows, press Alt+PrintScreen to make a screenshot, then open Paint app and paste the screenshot there (Ctrl+V).

Which emulator has the most accurate palette as well as the most accurate settings for scan lines or whatever in order to have the best representation on a raster based television.

The current game I am developing I had to change the colors due to differences between the A2600 and Coleco which can be hard on the eye's if not done right.