IGNORED

ColEm Emulator for Windows, Android, and Linux

Which emulator has the most accurate palette as well as the most accurate settings for scan lines or whatever in order to have the best representation on a raster based television.

Mike, you might want to ask your question in a separate forum thread. Since I've started this thread mostly for ColEm release announcements and support, you are looking for somewhat off-topic information.

Mike, you might want to ask your question in a separate forum thread. Since I've started this thread mostly for ColEm release announcements and support, you are looking for somewhat off-topic information.

Sorry, I thought it was about COLEM itself and not an advertisement.

In that 2 seconds you said to go somewhere else you could have just said, my emulator has the most accurate colors. Which unto itself would have been an advertisement.

That's fine, thanks for your time.

Oh, BTW....Is telling me that you have the most accurate colors and setting up scan lines support?

Again, thank you for your time.

Edited by Mike Harris

In that 2 seconds you said to go somewhere else you could have just said, my emulator has the most accurate colors. Which unto itself would have been an advertisement.

Mike, I do not advertise my own stuff like that, even in support threads. As to colors, you can use any palette you like with ColEm, just provide your own .pal file. Can't say much about how accurate scanlines are compared to other emulators, did not run any specialized tests for that. But that is not exactly the response you were expecting, right?

Mike, I do not advertise my own stuff like that, even in support threads. As to colors, you can use any palette you like with ColEm, just provide your own .pal file. Can't say much about how accurate scanlines are compared to other emulators, did not run any specialized tests for that. But that is not exactly the response you were expecting, right?

Actually when I read my previous entry I did not specify COLEM. I just assumed because it is the only emulator I use to be the most accurate.

When I tried my game on a real ADAM all the colors were an eye sore which put me back 2 months of hard work.

It was either take liberties with my port or scrap the game altogether all because the palette was not accurate to reality.

How about one last question...

Are the colors that come with COLEM 4.6, downloaded from your website, for the PC an accurate representation of a real RASTER TV, NTSC, in the United States at 3.58 mhz running off Channel 3.

Are the colors that come with COLEM 4.6, downloaded from your website, for the PC an accurate representation of a real RASTER TV, NTSC, in the United States at 3.58 mhz running off Channel 3.

Not a slightest idea, sorry. Especially considering that NTSC is so famous for its color fidelity that it is often spelled as "Never The Same Color". But, again, if you don't like the built-in colors, provide your own.

See, now I am intrigued...

Are the default colors you provided the most accurate representation output by the TMS9928A?

It would be self evident that when you created your masterpiece that it would be accurate in every way, after all what's it been? over 20 years to get it right?

See, now I am intrigued...

Are the default colors you provided the most accurate representation output by the TMS9928A?

It would be self evident that when you created your masterpiece that it would be accurate in every way, after all what's it been? over 20 years to get it right?

As I previously mentioned, I am unable to satisfy your curiosity in this field. Since your original questions did not pertain to ColEm emulator, you might be better off asking them in a separate forum thread, as I already suggested.

Any news on fixes for the multiple bugs I have reported?

If you mean the startup title time, I have not been able to find anything wrong with it. If there was an overall timing issue, that would affect timers in games. But these appear to tick just right. It is possible that we are looking at two different BIOSes, since that title appearance time is defined in the BIOS code.

I'm comparing against the original, unmodified, BIOS so the delay should be 12.65 seconds and is in fact only 10.7 seconds with ColEm.

The other bug is the one I reported to you regarding the game Carnival as reported here.

I understand about the BIOS delay but so far have not pinpointed the reason. As to Carnival, I requested a .STA file that would exhibit this problem but did not see any response to that request. Having problems recreating the issue on my own.

As to Carnival, I requested a .STA file that would exhibit this problem but did not see any response to that request. Having problems recreating the issue on my own.

Here you go (attached). Things work fine until one of the bears leaves the screen and you're left with just one bear. Then, whenever you fire the score increases by 50 points and the previous bullet disappears.

carnival.zip

@GarageResearch - Bug Report

Thought I should let you know that there appears to be a bug in the ColEm emulation that is highlighted in the bears stage when playing Carnival. When there are two or three bears it is possible in ColEm v4+ to keep firing away from the bears and still score hits (50 points) each time. Each time the fire button is pressed the previous bullet disappears, 50 points are gained, and a new bullet is fired. This can be seen in the video here (uses ColEm 4.0 for Windows) : http://atariage.com/forums/topic/287329-colecovision-hsc-season-12-round-2-carnival/?p=4202086

This has been fixed. The fix is coming out in the next ColEm release.

Hello, All!
I have published ColEm 4.7 for Windows and Linux, as well as portable source code for those who would like to port ColEm to other platforms:
The new release fixes sprite collision computation for sprites shifted left with early-sync flag. As result, the scoring in the Carnival bear scene works properly now. I have also made save states compatible between 32bit and 64bit architectures and fixed a PulseAudio hangup on exit in Linux. See below for all the changes:
ALL CHANGES:
* Fixed sprite collision code to take into account early-sync flag.
* Fixed scoring in the Carnival bear scene.
* Fixed saved state compatibility between 32bit and 64bit architectures.
* Fixed several problems with saving and loading TMS9918 states.
* Fixed PulseAudio hangup on exit in ColEm-Linux.

Have fun!
  • Like 2

Hello, All!
ColEm 4.7, a ColecoVision emulator for Android, is now online in Google Play Store:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fms.colem -- free version
This release is based on the latest ColEm 4.7 source code which fixes the sprite collision computation. I have also added the new, adaptive icons and made the app save MIDI recordings to the /sdcard/ColEm folder, if the current folder is write-protected. As you remember, I had to disable cheat features to avoid Google staff banning ColEm from the store. You can easily reenable cheats by downloading this file to your "Download" folder:
See below for all the changes in this release.
ALL CHANGES:
* Now using latest ColEm 4.7 source code.
* Fixed sprite collision code to take into account early-sync flag.
* Fixed scoring in the Carnival bear scene.
* MIDI recordings now go to /sdcard/ColEm if current folder write-protected.
* Added new icons, including adaptive icons.

Have fun!
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The latest version that I have tried is 4.7 which drops sound.
Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't and it is not the sound mixer in Windows 10.

COLEM is the only program that does this.

Now, I tried to use a copy of COLEM in a different directory thinking that a fresh install but apparently every copy uses the same settings which seem to be hidden somewhere.

Not in the directory, not in the root of C like every other dos based program, not in the docs, not in the Appdata anywhere I can find...

Just hidden so you can't delete or change and certainly not in any help file to say where it is.
So, arms up in the air.

I can't troubleshoot farther than that...

I noticed the issue when I changed the sound setting to no sound then changed it back to default.

Edited by Mike Harris

Hey Mike,

Alt-Page Up and Alt-Page Down controls the volume. Maybe try Alt-Page Up a few times (?)

I'm also running Windows 10 (Home x64).

I tried going from the default "Sound --> 44kHz Wave Synthesis", to "Sound --> No Sound", then back to "Sound --> 44kHz Wave Synthesis" without issue; sound toggling as expected according to the respective setting.

100ms Wave Buffer is set, and has not been modified.

F2 - Turns soundtrack log on/off, but I do not believe that should have any bearing.

There does not seem to be any configuration files that can be openly modified, but on my system the registry string...

Computer\HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-1305320972-3118185239-334753350-1001\Software\EMUL8\ColEm

...is where the settings for the emulator are stored (Adjacent to it are the listings for iNES and VGBA as well).