IGNORED

Entry 2018: MazezaM

In the spirit of Intellivision's "telephone" controllers, I have been working on simulating cell phone texting using IntyBASIC. The animated preview below is a reimagining of the first storyboard in MazezaM.

post-64239-0-36764500-1537144013.gif

In the above clip Otto types out an SOS on his touch screen phone -- complete with accurate thumb typing time delays! -- and the main character Hannah replies. In later cut scenes I'm hoping that Hannah's T9 flip phone will also make an appearance.

This will all take a little while longer to work into the actual MazezaM game, but I thought I'd share a little preview in the meantime. Source code and .rom are also attached.

PS You can also speed up Otto's typing by pressing any of the controller buttons once or twice.

post-64239-0-36764500-1537144013.gif

texting.rom

texting.zip

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

In the spirit of anxiously checking the time, here is a quick update on cell phone usage in MazezaM.

Instead of a standard in-game menu, our hero Hannah will pull out her trusty INTY flip phone and make selections on it. In a classic case of over-engineering, the phone also keeps track of the time throughout the game, as well as its battery charge, and the reception. The attached video shows the time sped up to 1 minute per second, so that you can watch the icons updating more quickly.

Thank you to nanochess for the IntyColor application that has helped speed up these cell phone developments.

post-64239-0-75684400-1538355812.gif

I'm still working on the music menu, but a big thank you in advance to decle's MusoCheat which helped me create some adequate in-game music. A friend of mine with actual musical talent has also been doing some musical compositions for the game, and I'll save all of those updates for next time.

post-64239-0-75684400-1538355812.gif

• Like 4

In the spirit of anxiously checking the time, here is a quick update on cell phone usage in MazezaM.

Instead of a standard in-game menu, our hero Hannah will pull out her trusty INTY flip phone and make selections on it. In a classic case of over-engineering, the phone also keeps track of the time throughout the game, as well as its battery charge, and the reception. The attached video shows the time sped up to 1 minute per second, so that you can watch the icons updating more quickly.

Thank you to nanochess for the IntyColor application that has helped speed up these cell phone developments.

I'm still working on the music menu, but a big thank you in advance to decle's MusoCheat which helped me create some adequate in-game music. A friend of mine with actual musical talent has also been doing some musical compositions for the game, and I'll save all of those updates for next time.

That's great! Keep it up! :)

-dZ.

While the Intellivision Neural-Net Super-Computer is processing the contest results, I have had some time to continue working on the flip phone menu.

post-64239-0-01509800-1538855806.gif

The animated gif shows that the songs and volumes can be changed from the new music menu. The player can even save time by using the INTY phone's "media keys" (ie keypad buttons 1, 3, 7, 9) and these keys work regardless of which state the phone is in. The phone also flips open and closed and scrolls on and off the screen, although it seems that there are still a few graphical glitches that I need to sort out.

This is probably the last update I'm going to make to this little side project before integrating it into the main MazezaM game ... unless someone can convince me that the flip phone needs to have a version of Snake for authenticity :lol:

The attached rom features three songs that have been converted from other old-school games using decle's MusoCheat. Bonus points if you can identify any of the three songs :music:

Flip.rom

post-64239-0-01509800-1538855806.gif

• Like 3

Hahaha! :lol: Looks awesome, and it works a treat!

Here's some feedback on that ROM:

• The last song needs a bit of work. At least with the instruments chosen, it sounds a bit weird. Particularly the bass line. Also, in one of the bridges, it seems that it goes off key.
  • I think the glitches are related to the way you are drawing the screen. It seems that you are re-drawing the entire thing. Also, it seems to happen mostly when the music is playing, so it appears to be a timing issue. Remember that in IntyBASIC, GRAM copies and MOB updates are buffered, so your game loop is always updating the next frame. You then need to use the WAIT directive to synchronize with the vertical retrace and "post" the frame changes.

Oh and before I forget ... I'm afraid you do need to add "Snakes" to the flip phone, or else it's not realistic enough. :)

Also, for added realism, make sure you get your ringtones and beeps correct. Here's a reference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQa3kDmJ-tA

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...
25 minutes ago, fdr4prez said:

It's been three years since his last visit:

image.png.3921b2a92ac2fe69ed9723723caa259a.png

Too bad.  I'll try to contact him through his personal sites posted earlier.

Thanks.

-dZ.