IGNORED

The Atari Lynx HandyCast Podcast

LynxHandyCaster

Instead of posting a new topic in Atari Age for each episode of the podcast, I'll post announcements about them (as they become available) in this topic instead. Here's the announcement for the latest episode, which I uploaded to the feeds on March 31, 2018:

Zoom!!! Pew! Pew! Pew!

EPISODE 04: Gates of Zendocon is now available for download! Please check it out and let me know what you think. You can listen to the episode HERE, or you can find The HandyCast at these locations:

Apple Music (iTunes)

Stitcher

Google Play

TuneIn

Website

Blog Page

Facebook

Twitter

Also, please get your feedback in for EPISODE 05: Gauntlet - The Third Encounter by April 13, 2018. Thanks!

Eat. Sleep. LYNX. Repeat.

-MillipedeMan

a.k.a. Mark

sml_gallery_40064_2064_644584.jpg
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, look...a scorpion! Oh, look...a ghost! Oh, look...a frog! Oh, look...a monk! Oh, look...a castle maze crawl/action shooter! What is your quest?

Oh, look...a crystal. A crystal! Hey! I won the game! Hey, Mikey!

EPISODE 05: Gauntlet - The Third Encounter is now available for download (five days late, but what can you do?)! Please check it out and let me know what you think. You can listen to the episode HERE, or you can find The HandyCast at these locations:

Apple Music (iTunes)

Stitcher

Google Play

TuneIn

Website

Blog Page

Facebook

Twitter

Also, please get your feedback in for EPISODE 06: California Games by April 27, 2018. Thanks!

-MillipedeMan

a.k.a. Mark

Edited by MillipedeMan

IMG 0987

Dudes and Dudettes! Time to lay down some rad feedback for the next episode of The Atari Lynx HandyCast, EPISODE 06: California Games! It's like totally four gnarly games in one! Submit your feedback by April 27 if you want to be bio! Get tubular, huh! Go way aggro and stick that feedback to me soon! Later, Duhuhudes!

-MillipedeMan

a.k.a. Mark

• Like 1

Haha, great post and funny photo dude!

When I first got my Lynx with California Games I thought that there was something wrong with the game or that only I got a demo or something, because it only had four events compared to other ports. I was a little let down at first, but over time California Games has proven to be one of the best Lynx titles. It's colorful, the music is great, it's truly pick up and play at any time, and the graphics are impressive. BMX and surfing are my favourites, but I usually play a round of half pipe as well to listen to the catchy 80s music and have a look at the fantastic scaling effect. Haven't been able to learn how to play half pipe in soon 30 years, the only thing I know is how to do a turn at the correct time! Can someone please explain to me how to play the half pipe event on the Lynx!? :grin:

It's pretty evident when following the forum here at AtariAge over the years, that it's a well liked game by lots and lots of Lynx enthusiasts.

Btw. about the Gauntlet episode (high quality, great podcast once again) I've tried to like Gauntlet many times, the intro music and character select is so nice, but never being able to get into it. Shinto's positive review of it really made me want to give it yet another chance, at least if I find someone to comlynx the game with!

Edited by Turbo Laser Lynx
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
Dude...How gnarly and rad is this game? It's totally tubular, dude! Awesome sauce!

Wipe out, man!

EPISODE 06: California Games is now available for download...sorry it's so late! Please check it out and let me know what you think. You can listen to the episode HERE, or you can find The HandyCast at these locations:

Apple Music (iTunes)

Stitcher

Google Play

TuneIn

Website

Blog Page

Facebook

Twitter

Also, please get your feedback in for EPISODE 07: Fidelity Ultimate Chess Challenge by May 25, 2018. Thanks!

-MillipedeMan

a.k.a. Mark

Edited by MillipedeMan
  • Like 1

EPISODE 07 Fidelity Ultimate Chess Challenge (feedback photo)

Surely, we are all merely pawns in the game of life.

But if you enjoy "castling" and saying the words "en passant," and you also enjoy playing games on the Atari Lynx, then you know what you need to do.

Please send me your feedback for my next episode, EPISODE 07: Fidelity Ultimate Chess Challenge by this Friday, May 25.

Checkmate!

-MillipedeMan

a.k.a. Mark

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

EPISODE 07 Fidelity Ultimate Chess Challenge feature photo 2 2000x1200

Checkmate!

EPISODE 07: The Fidelity Ultimate Chess Challenge is finally available for download! Please check it out and let me know what you think. You can listen to the episode HERE, or you can find The HandyCast at these locations:

Apple Music (iTunes)

Stitcher

Google Play

TuneIn

Website

Blog Page

Facebook

Twitter

Also, please get your feedback in for EPISODE 08: Xenophobe as soon as is humanly (or alienly) possible. Thanks!

-MillipedeMan

a.k.a. Mark

Edited by MillipedeMan
  • Like 2

Alright all you snotterpillars out there; I know you’ve all played Xenophobe on the Atari Lynx. So now’s the time for all good gamers to come to the aid of this podcaster, and send him your feedback for Episode 08 of the Atari Lynx HandyCast!

-MillipedeMan

a.k.a. Mark

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

EPISODE 08 Xenophobe (feature photo)

Xenophobia: xen·o·pho·bi·a; (zenəˈfōbēə,ˌzēnəˈfōbēə); noun; An intense or irrational dislike or fear of aliens.

No need to fear...

EPISODE 08: Xenophobe is available for listening and/or downloading! Please check it out and let me know what you think. You can listen to the episode HERE, or you can find The HandyCast at these locations:

Apple Music (iTunes)

Stitcher

Google Play

TuneIn

Website

Blog Page

Facebook

Twitter

So quit your grinnin' and drop your linen...here come the rollerbabies and snotterpillars!

Also, please get your feedback in for EPISODE 09: Chip's Challenge as soon as is humanly (or alienly) possible. I'd like to get that episode out by August 18, 2018. Thanks!

-MillipedeMan

a.k.a. Mark

Edited by MillipedeMan
  • Like 1

EPISODE 09 Chip's Challenge (feedback photo)

Chip off the old block.

Chip's ahoy.

California Highway Patrol (CHiPs).

Fellow Lynxters, please get your feedback and memories in to me as soon as possible for the next game I'll be covering on The Atari Lynx HandyCast...EPISODE 09: Chip's Challenge.

Ponch out.

-MillipedeMan

a.k.a. Mark

Edited by MillipedeMan
  • Like 1

INTERVIEW EPISODE 01 Chuck Sommerville LX Rudis feature photo 2000x1200

INTERVIEW EPISODE 01 is now available for listening and/or downloading! I was lucky enough to spend a little time with Chuck Sommerville and LX Rudis, two of the pioneers in the history of the Lynx. Enjoy this really cool trip down memory lane! You can listen to the episode HERE, or you can find The HandyCast at these locations:

Apple Podcasts (iTunes)

Stitcher

Google Play

TuneIn

Website

Blog Page

Facebook

Twitter

-MillipedeMan

a.k.a. Mark

Edited by MillipedeMan
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

sml_gallery_40064_2027_89700.jpg

A complete video of INTERVIEW EPISODE 01 is now available on YouTube! I was lucky enough to spend a little time with Chuck Sommerville and LX Rudis, two of the pioneers in the history of the Lynx. Enjoy this really cool trip down memory lane! You can watch the entire interview HERE, or you can listen to it HERE, or you can find The HandyCast at these locations:

Apple Podcasts (iTunes)

Stitcher

Google Play

TuneIn

Website

Blog Page

Facebook

Twitter

-MillipedeMan

a.k.a. Mark

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

EPISODE 09 Chip's Challenge (feature photo)

Chip off the old block.

Chip and Ernie.

Chipper Jones.

Chip's ahoy.

Goodbye, Mr. Chips.

California Highway Patrol (CHiPs).

Rejoice, Bit Busters, because EPISODE 09: Chip's Challenge is available for listening and/or downloading! Please check it out and let me know what you think. You can listen to the episode HERE, or you can find The HandyCast at these locations:

Apple Music (iTunes)

Stitcher

Google Play

TuneIn

Website

Blog Page

Facebook

Twitter

Also, please get your feedback in for EPISODE 10: Todd's Adventures in Slime World as soon as you can. Thanks!

Ponch out.

-MillipedeMan

a.k.a. Mark

EPISODE 10 Todd's Adventures In Slime World (feedback photo)

Sthop it, Thodd! That'th tho funny I forgot to laugh!

Well, fellow Lynxters, it's time to submit your thoughts and memories for this incredible game. Please get your feedback in to me as soon as possible for the next game I'll be covering on The Atari Lynx HandyCast...EPISODE 10: Todd's Adventures in Slime World.
I Double Dare you.

-MillipedeMan

a.k.a. Mark

Slime World is probably my favorite Lynx title. When I bought it as a kid, I was expecting a simple level-based platformer, so I was surprised to find such a unique, expansive, explorative world. My first impulse was to compare it to Metroid, and to this day I see those comparisons pop up in reviews. But it's actually very different from Metroid in terms of gameplay (although both games have you exploring labyrinthine underground caves on a foreign planet).

I think Slime World is one of those titles that gets written off by some who don't put much time into it. But there is a ton of game to enjoy there if you give it a chance. Each of the six areas has a different theme/goal/style/look. I've finished all but the 6th, as there is no way to know where the snappers are under the ground, and restarting from the beginning each time due to a cheap death just wasn't that fun to me. And area 6 actually has something like 6 different exits, each hidden behind a Super Secret Door (shoot a wall to reveal the door).

My favorite area is 3, because it's got those special "boss" rooms with the four giant enemies and the slime fountain that appears when you kill them. I was NOT expecting that the first time I stumbled in there.

There's also the hidden "zit popping challenge" mini-game. Simple, gross fun.

• Like 2

I think Slime World is one of those titles that gets written off by some who don't put much time into it. But there is a ton of game to enjoy there if you give it a chance. Each of the six areas has a different theme/goal/style/look. I've finished all but the 6th, as there is no way to know where the snappers are under the ground, and restarting from the beginning each time due to a cheap death just wasn't that fun to me. And area 6 actually has something like 6 different exits, each hidden behind a Super Secret Door (shoot a wall to reveal the door).

I completely agree! I've read multiple reviews ranking it -- at best -- as a mid-tier Lynx release, and keep thinking that I can't possibly have been playing the same game all of these years. It was one of the first four games I bought for my Lynx in 1990, and (much to my surprise) I logged many hours on it before Klax and Scrapyard Dog came along. It's also my #1 pick for "Lynx game most improved by McWill Award". The visuals were always notable, but they really glow on a McWilled unit.

• Like 1

Hey, thanks for keeping doing these! I really enjoyed the interview episode and I'm in the middle of listening to the other new episodes.

Here's my opinion on Todd´s Adventures in Slime World:
There's a lot of variation trying all the different game modes, and in my opinion it has perhaps the most fun use of the Lynx hardware sprite scaling: the pulsating slime levels and creatures are amazing, the stretching clouds, the stretching and moving slime-'water falls' etc. Very unique looking game thanks to this, one of a kind really, still today. They also managed to make the whole world pulsate just enough, because this kind of thing could easily be very distracting. I can't even play the Megadrive version because the static world isn't able to imerse me in comparison to the living and moving Lynx version of the slime world. Slime World would have to be my favourite Lynx game because it's so uniquely Lynx and the gameplay is really great too, you can really get immersed in that world! Ten out of ten game :) I'd like to quote 'Jugganawt' from his Lynx top 25 video, Slime World on the Lynx is "a life sucking experience" :grin:
Edited by Turbo Laser Lynx
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

EPISODE 10 Todd's Adventures In Slime World (feature photo)

Sthop it, Thodd! That'th tho funny I forgot to laugh!

Well, fellow Lynxters, EPISODE 10: Todd's Adventures in Slime World is available for listening and/or downloading! Please check it out and let me know what you think. You can listen to the episode HERE, or you can find The HandyCast at these locations:

Apple Music (iTunes)

Stitcher

Google Play

TuneIn

Website

Blog Page

Facebook

Twitter

Also, please get your feedback in for EPISODE 11: Zarlor Mercenary as soon as you can. Thanks!

In the meantime, don't miss this incredible Slime-O-Rama episode! I Double Dare you.

-MillipedeMan

a.k.a. Mark

Edited by MillipedeMan
  • Like 1