IGNORED

A Newbies Journey with the TIPI

Omega-TI

The TIPI is an awesome device for the TI-99/4A, but some of us out there are complete NOOBS when it comes to doing anything on a Raspberry Pi. This will be a documentary of sorts, showing what questions I have, things I noticed and the steps taken to get one all up and running.

If I do anything stupid along the way, you can learn from my mistakes... or see how easy it's probably going be, because Matt & Corey have gone out of their way to make it simple for us feeble minded senior citizens.

ON TO THE FIRST POST....

• Like 4

Okay, you've ordered all the items, and are waiting on the Snail Mail, so what do you do first? How about get your TIPI's SD card ready?

It's surprisingly easy with their documentation!

1) Get & Install the Etcher program on your PC

2) Get the ZIP with the file image on << JediMatt42's TIPI download page >> and do this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4NEaL9-Ioc&feature=youtu.be

... pretty easy huh! icon_thumbsup.gif

I did notice one thing... even though I started off with a 64GB SD card (which may have been overkill), the PC now reads the card as much smaller?

gallery_35324_1027_1503.jpg

I wonder what the Raspberry Pie will think of that?

Edited by --- Ω ---
  • Like 1

I haven't installed the image to an SD Card, but if the image is running Raspian (which i believe I read it is), you can drop to a Command Line (CLI) and type:

sudo raspi-config

Then go into Advanced Options and set it to Expand File system. Upon reboot, it will expand the file system to accommodate the size of the SD Card.

Keep in mind, when you view the SD card from within Windows File Explorer, you will only see a boot partition there and only a limited set of files. The bulk of the image is in a separate partition that (AFAIK) isn't accessible from Windows.

Within raspi-config, you can also configure the Wifi settings. Might be a good idea to do that as well while you're in there. Then, you may be able to use \\[hostname_of_your_pie] to access other files on the Pi from Windows. This is how I access my Arcade running RetroPie and copy games via network to the shared folder.

Edited by jonecool
  • Like 2

I haven't installed the image to an SD Card, but if the image is running Raspian (which i believe I read it is), you can drop to a Command Line (CLI) and type:

sudo raspi-config

Then go into Advanced Options and set it to Expand File system. Upon reboot, it will expand the file system to accommodate the size of the SD Card.

Keep in mind, when you view the SD card from within Windows File Explorer, you will only see a boot partition there and only a limited set of files. The bulk of the image is in a separate partition that (AFAIK) isn't accessible from Windows.

Within raspi-config, you can also configure the Wifi settings. Might be a good idea to do that as well while you're in there. Then, you may be able to use \\[hostname_of_your_pie] to access other files on the Pi from Windows. This is how I access my Arcade running RetroPie and copy games via network to the shared folder.

Good to know! Thanks Jonecool.

I was playing and testing with another SD card, but would like to convert it back to it's original size, but Windoze 'don't do dat'. Do you have a preferred program for restoring SD cards?

Good to know! Thanks Jonecool.

I was playing and testing with another SD card, but would like to convert it back to it's original size, but Windoze 'don't do dat'. Do you have a preferred program for restoring SD cards?

You bet, try SD Formatter from here. Just make sure you select the right card, never had any issues with the tool but just a disclaimer :) Should be able to reclaim the entire size.

• Like 2

You bet, try SD Formatter from here. Just make sure you select the right card, never had any issues with the tool but just a disclaimer icon_smile.gif Should be able to reclaim the entire size.

Great download site, they do NOT try to force all kinds of loaders and garbage into your browser.

When I went to install it, guess what I found already there....

sml_gallery_35324_1027_34539.jpg ... such is life with a degrading memory... icon_ponder.gif

Omega, I expect a full tutorial video from you at some point. You're really good at this.

Thanks, I'll do my best!

• Like 1

I did notice one thing... even though I started off with a 64GB SD card (which may have been overkill), the PC now reads the card as much smaller?

The SD card has likely been split into multiple partitions: boot, swap, and root. Windows is only showing the first partition (boot), so you will not see the entire disk size.

The Pie should be fine with it, although you still *might* have to expand the root partition, per jonecool's instructions above.

Edited by chue
  • Like 2

Okay, you've ordered all the items, and are waiting on the Snail Mail, so what do you do first? How about get your TIPI's SD card ready?

2) Get the ZIP with the image file and do this...

you can use Win32DiskImager too to dump the image to an SD Card. (Etcher looks prettier though!)

Both will work.

• Like 1

I did this one time with a 64GB Sandisk microSD, still haven't got it recovered? Don't know if there is a program to re-establish the size. But you can't format a SDXC in a device that will only go to a SDHC size which is only from <2 GB to 32 GB.

I did this one time with a 64GB Sandisk microSD, still haven't got it recovered? Don't know if there is a program to re-establish the size. But you can't format a SDXC in a device that will only go to a SDHC size which is only from <2 GB to 32 GB.

You've almost certainly got partitions on the card that Windows Explorer is not going to show you. There should at least be a Linux swap partition. You will need to use Disk Management in Windows or gparted on Linux.

2) Get the ZIP with the image file and do this...

Please edit the link the image file, so it goes to my download page... This will evolve, and new users should start from the latest image on my download page.

-M@

• Like 1

There are 1st use instructions on my website... that explain how to TELNET to the PI after first boot using the TI TELNET client and expand the partition. The raspi-config gui doens't work too well in my TELNET client. But there is a command line parameter to it, so it's gui isn't necessary.

-M@

• Like 1

Still waiting on two cables, but I dug an old wireless mouse out of the closet today, because I think I remember seeing a mouse program being shown in the last couple of weeks running on a "TIPI'ed TI".

Like a kid at Disneyland, I've not gotten on the ride yet, the excitement level is rising!

• Like 1

Still waiting on two cables, but I dug an old wireless mouse out of the closet today, because I think I remember seeing a mouse program being shown in the last couple of weeks running on a "TIPI'ed TI".

Like a kid at Disneyland, I've not gotten on the ride yet, the excitement level is rising!

Omega, you should watch your video from Fest West last year. The mouse demo is pretty much unchanged from then, except better coding practices :)

In that demo, you exclaim a very sincere 'oh my!' close to the microphone, as I moved the mouse.

-- Cables, I'm told, will be there today... sorry for the mix up. --

-M@

• Like 1

Omega, you should watch your video from Fest West last year. The mouse demo is pretty much unchanged from then, except better coding practices icon_smile.gif

In that demo, you exclaim a very sincere 'oh my!' close to the microphone, as I moved the mouse.

-- Cables, I'm told, will be there today... sorry for the mix up. --

-M@

I did? Huh, I'll have to goo look at it.

No cables today, just the 32K enclosure. Maybe tomorrow (I hope). I'll be rather busy for the next couple days, so if I'm lucky I'll be able to play Sunday evening for a couple of hours.

SCRATCH THAT - UPS just delivered them at exactly 5:00pm straight up! --- THANKS MATT!

--- EDIT ---

Well I'll be! At 21:53 I did let out a exclamation! To anyone who wants to see the TIPI video from last years Fest West, it was posted in << THIS MESSAGE >>.

Edited by --- Ω ---
  • Like 1

Okay.... time to start my "baby steps"...

gallery_35324_1027_112974.jpg

Okay... I can see that eventually I'll need a new case. I'm thinking an "all-in-one" enclosure. Something to house the speech, 32K and TIPI on the bottom layer and then maybe the RPi orientated horizontally on top with an opening for the SD card. Something that looks like a mini-PEB but can hide all the cables.

Okay next step... CALL TIPI

gallery_35324_1027_52027.jpg

Well, that worked... icon_biggrin.gificon_thumbsup.gificon_thumbsup.gificon_thumbsup.gificon_thumbsup.gificon_thumbsup.gificon_thumbsup.gificon_thumbsup.gificon_thumbsup.gificon_thumbsup.gificon_thumbsup.gificon_thumbsup.gificon_thumbsup.gificon_thumbsup.gificon_thumbsup.gificon_thumbsup.gificon_thumbsup.gificon_thumbsup.gificon_thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Well, I've hit my first snag. The documentation is 'different' from the real deal...

Go to TI BASIC and type in the following... sounds easy enough...

med_gallery_35324_1027_18035.jpg

... BUT... Instead I get this....

gallery_35324_1027_2463.jpg

... okay, no big deal... BUT...

Instead of "USER" it displays ...

gallery_35324_1027_9111.jpg

... seeing that this is a departure I did not expect, I just typed in "tipi"

... then it comes up with "PORT:" instead of the expected "password"...

gallery_35324_1027_3139.jpg

... again not knowing what to do I typed "tipi" again...

All it appears to do is lockup, so... HOLDING PATTERN FOR NOW.

The funny thing is, I know the Pi and Raspbian pretty well, but I'm comparatively a noob at the TI99/4A. I mean I've had mine for over 30 years, but The tape drive is about as sophisticated as I've gotten with it until fairly recently.

In terms of Pis I have 11 or 12 of my own of various types and I just bought 30 more Pi 3B+ for a project at work. (We're using them as OPAC terminals and display kiosks).

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get a Tipi before they sold out so it looks like I'll have to wait a while before I join in on that fun. Looking forward to it, because my NanoPEB recently went squirrely, so I'm down to using my Flashrom99 and my 32K sidecar until I can get another NanoPEB or a Tipi.

• Like 1

Oh man... am I having fun right now. What sucks is I have to go to bed in a 1/2 hour because I have to get up at 4:00am tomorrow, so this will be the last of my fun tonight... BUT let me tell you what I've been learning....

1) You can log into your TIPI's RPi from your main computer or even your cellphone as long it's it's on your home network. by using the TIPI's IP# which it gives you when you type "CALL TIPI" from BASIC. When I did that I got this...

gallery_35324_1027_7672.jpg

Once I went into the NET directory I found the TELNET client, so from the TI, I loaded the EDITOR ASSEMBLER I have on my FG99 and typed in TIPI.NET.TELNET and boom, up comes the TELNET program.

So at the "host" prompt I typed in: heatwave.ddns.net and for port: 9640 and I was in like Flynn. :-D Looks pretty good eh?

gallery_35324_1027_153212.jpg

So what did I learn? With TIPI you no longer need a UDS-10, or other WiFi gadget. The Wifi is built right in to the Pi, so that gives you a good excuse to buy one right there, because it's already saving you money!

• Like 3

Okay, as a "NEWBIE" to the TIPI, I've found that my XB2.7S cartridge is PERFECT for this application using Tim's 9640 Menu System.

If you're reading this thread as a new TIPI user, you might want to try it too!

1) GO HERE and download the 9640 Menu System IF you have an XB2.7s cartridge.

2) TELNET into your Pi from your browser, create a folder called "BOOT"

3) UPLOAD the files in the ZIP in under the MENU SYSTEM - FIAD directory.

Once that is done, go into BASIC, type "CALL TIPI" and change the DSK1 setting to BOOT. Reboot and go!

Now you are ready to ROCK with all kinds of goodies you put on this thing!

• Like 2