IGNORED

A Newbies Journey with the TIPI

Omega-TI

Okay, as I bring this thread to a close here are my thoughts as a new TIPI user never having messed with one before.

1) It was easier to setup than I thought it would be.

If you can read directions (assuming they are correct), you'll have no problems setting one of these up.

Once setup, you may never have to deal with any RPi commands again.

2) Once it's setup, is super easy to use, although there are a few new things in the starter documents I'd like to see a more in-depth

explanation on.

3) As I get closer to "geezerhood", I found it easier on the old eyes to look at the hookup photos online, making it easier to see the details.

In closing... Would I recommend one of these to anyone? In short, HELL YES! There is an old saying, "Good things come to those who wait". Well, the waiting is over and as the former Texas Instruments spokesman used to say, "This is the one!"

The Combatti game was built against different prototype hardware, and hasn't been released for TIPI yet.

The mousedemo is for coders, the source is on github.

But if you must:

CALL TIPI("PI.http://www.cwfk.net/4afiles/MOUSEDEMO")

---

Today I wrote a mouse driver for TI-Artist Plus. But before I release that I need to make the mouse speed configurable and scale it on the PI, to deal with how 'high-res' modern mice are.

-M@

• Like 6

But if you must:

CALL TIPI("PI.http://www.cwfk.net/4afiles/MOUSEDEMO")

What I would give to see a listing of the contents of that directory. ;)

Anyway I put an old wireless LogiTech M310 on the Rpi this morning, but could not get the mouse to move. I rebooted and that still did not fix it. Anyway no more time to mess around this morning... I try again later. Thanks though.

Oh man, can't wait til mine ships (and arrives)!!! Thank you so much TI Ω for documenting all of this, I'll have a lot of catching up to do but can't wait to get started. JediMatt-you rock buddy!

I might have to grab the source and see if I can help contribute some in the future...

Edited by jonecool
  • Like 2

What I would give to see a listing of the contents of that directory. icon_wink.gif

Anyway I put an old wireless LogiTech M310 on the Rpi this morning, but could not get the mouse to move. I rebooted and that still did not fix it. Anyway no more time to mess around this morning... I try again later. Thanks though.

I have to ask stupid questions as this is a tech-support call: ( This is meant to be a joke... )

Are there batteries in the mouse?

Is the nano-receiver plugged into one of the PI's USB ports?

Is the PI the nano-receiver is plugged into, the PI connected to TIPI?

Is the TI on?

Does the white mouse pointer with black outline show up on the TI screen?

Is the mouse too far away from the nano-receiver?

Does the mouse and nano-receiver work fine on an alternative machine?

---

More serious:

I tested that MOUSEDEMO fine on my TIPI. I'm at a loss for why it wouldn't work. My mouse is a close cousin of the M310, and uses a nano-receiver as well.

You can telnet into the PI, ('localhost') and run:

cat /dev/input/mice

If you get a permission denied, I screwed something up.

If you get what looks like garbage on the screen when you move the mouse, then I'm stumped.. It should be working.

--

My father actually burned through 3 mice on his pc to realize they all worked fine if he moved them to the other side of the keyboard... Something else was interfering with the wireless signal.

-M@

Hey guys, expect a video this week on some TIPI aspects. The more time I spend with this little gadget the better it gets.

I got on my first BBS around 1983 and continued to play on them until the mid 1990's when the Internet destroyed the great little community of systems people had built up over the years. Back in the early days we had to build our own modem cables because nearly everyone had a different computer and the Mom & Pop computer shops could not afford to carry the inventory for all the various systems. We had to learn about parity, stop bits, baud rates, control characters, later memorize modem commands when modems became 'smart'. Later on PC's when had to deal with COM ports and IRQ conflicts and assorted other stuff in our RS-232 centered lives before the age of the USB bus and Windows that could configure everything with little to no help.

Now as we step back in time on our TI's, the TIPI blows my mind. Never, EVER has it been so simple for ANYONE to get online with a BBS. Seriously, once your TIPI is set up, you can get online without having to mess with specialized cabling or an esoteric command set. Answer two questions on the screen and you're on a BBS. EASY!

Who knows, maybe someday it'll get even easier with a Telco like dialing menu.

--- Oh and the will also be something about a program for TIPI users called... CHATTI. Stay tuned!

I have to ask stupid questions as this is a tech-support call: ( This is meant to be a joke... )

Are there batteries in the mouse?

Is the nano-receiver plugged into one of the PI's USB ports?

Is the PI the nano-receiver is plugged into, the PI connected to TIPI?

Is the TI on?

Does the white mouse pointer with black outline show up on the TI screen?

Is the mouse too far away from the nano-receiver?

Does the mouse and nano-receiver work fine on an alternative machine?

---

More serious:

I tested that MOUSEDEMO fine on my TIPI. I'm at a loss for why it wouldn't work. My mouse is a close cousin of the M310, and uses a nano-receiver as well.

You can telnet into the PI, ('localhost') and run:

cat /dev/input/mice

If you get a permission denied, I screwed something up.

If you get what looks like garbage on the screen when you move the mouse, then I'm stumped.. It should be working.

--

My father actually burned through 3 mice on his pc to realize they all worked fine if he moved them to the other side of the keyboard... Something else was interfering with the wireless signal.

-M@

Hey Matt,

Yeah, blew me away too. On RPi's it's pretty much PLUG-N-GO where keyboards and mice are concerned. No big deal, it's on my list of things to "eventually get to". Right now I having so much fun with this thing doing other things that it's no issue at all. I'll get back to it in a week or so.

I've not used it yet, so I have no clue how or what it does, but has anyone used the Myarc WSD mode on the TIPI yet? If so, can you enlighten me on how I would benefit from switching to that mode?

There is likely no benefit... while debugging level 2 IO, I had a mistake in the error code handling for the status routine. In an attempt to make TIPI compatible with a TIFDC hooked up at the same time, I added the alternate mode.

This mode bank switches the DSR ROM so that the Level 2 IO routines are named >4x, and it removes the device name entries for DSK1, DSK2, DSK3, DSK, DSK4. It replaces those with WSD1. WDS1. I can never remember.

Anyway, with this change I was able to use DM2K to copy files from actual floppies to TIPI. But then I fixed the error code handling, and that function works between TIPI mapped DSK? and read TIFDC DSK? drives just fine.

So, at this point, it is pointless.

Now, DM2K is exceptional. There is still room for other software to get all upset by TIPI supporting directories and what not, but not being a TIFDC. So, maybe there is some legacy app out there that will work better with TIPI if you are in the myarc mode.

So, until there is a better use for the space in the DSR ROM, I left it in.

-M@

• Like 1

From day one I've been using TI99Dir to extract individual programs from .DSK images and then upload them to the TIPI using the using a browser short cut to: "http://192.168.0.nn:9900/files"(Shown below)

gallery_35324_1027_49582.jpg

Now I must not be very observant, because way way down at the bottom of the screen on the left hand side... what do I see?

Yup, TIPI. I could have been dragging and dropping the whole time!

gallery_35324_1027_35388.jpg

Now that's what I call EASY! I'm lovin' this TIPI more and more every day.

THIS IS NICE.....

(Matt & Corey think of everything)

Getting a text listing from an AtariAge message thread to 'Real Iron' has never been easier...

#1: Highlight & copy the text in the message thread.

#2: Click a button, give it a filename and press "CREATE FILE"

gallery_35324_1027_15382.jpg

#3: Paste you text into the blue box

#4: Click "SAVE and EXIT"

gallery_35324_1027_16608.jpg

THATS IT! :grin: Simple & quick to get a text listing to Real Iron! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

From day one I've been using TI99Dir to extract individual programs from .DSK images and then upload them to the TIPI using the using a browser short cut to: "http://192.168.0.nn:9900/files"(Shown below)

gallery_35324_1027_49582.jpg

Now I must not be very observant, because way way down at the bottom of the screen on the left hand side... what do I see?

Yup, TIPI. I could have been dragging and dropping the whole time!

gallery_35324_1027_35388.jpg

Now that's what I call EASY! I'm lovin' this TIPI more and more every day.

Recall that when you use the browser your files get automatically converted to TIFiles which is what the TIPI wants.

If you drag and drop via windows, you may run into problem if your files are not TIFiles.

"TIPI expects all files to be in TIFILES format. If you use the 'upload' feature

from TIPI's web ui, it will auto-convert v9t9 FIAD files (such as HDX files) to

TIFILES format.

You can also use programs like Ti99Dir, or TiImageTool or xdm99 to convert

whatever format you have into TIFILES." - SOURCE: Transfering files:http://ti994a.cwfk.net/TIPI.html

• Like 1

TIPI webui only converts 'V9T9 FIAD' files on upload.

Nothing in a DSK image is in TIFILES format. They are in a disk image. When you extract from a disk image with Ti99Dir from Fred Kaal, it defaults to creating V9T9 FIAD files.

If you use the 'tipi' file share to move files over, they are not converted automaticaly for you.

-M@

• Like 1

4A DOS is great with TIPI!

If you have a folder on TIPI's SD card you do NOT have to set it as a drive from TIPICFG to access it with 4A DOS. It's like one big HARD DRIVE! ;-)

First using the VOL command setting "DSK0." is the same as setting it as "TIPI." (Don't forget the period!)

Doing a "DIR" from this drive will show everything allocated for TIPI use on the SD card, or you can just type: "DIR TIPI." from whatever directory you are currently in.

Say you wanted to load Chatti and it resides in the ROOT DIRECTORY, just type: "LOAD TIPI.CHATTI" or say you want to run the Telnet program in the NET directory, in this case you would just type: load TIPI.NET.TELNET or you could go to that folder by typing: VOL TIPI.NET. once there just type LOAD TELNET

Of course you could also setup a batch file to load these with one button.

It also works with DIS/FIX 80 files. Say you were in the TIPI./DSK0. directory and wanted to run a DIS/FIX80 format file, you could type the following example:

just type: FIX80 TIPI.DIRECTORY.PROGNAME then when the directory prompt reappears again like DSK0.> just type in LINK LINKNAME

• Like 3

Awesome. I’ll check it out.

Thanks!

4A DOS is great with TIPI!

If you have a folder on TIPI's SD card you do NOT have to set it as a drive from TIPICFG to access it with 4A DOS. It's like one big HARD DRIVE! ;-)

First using the VOL command setting "DSK0." is the same as setting it as "TIPI." (Don't forget the period!)

Doing a "DIR" from this drive will show everything allocated for TIPI use on the SD card, or you can just type: "DIR TIPI." from whatever directory you are currently in.

Say you wanted to load Chatti and it resides in the ROOT DIRECTORY, just type: "LOAD TIPI.CHATTI" or say you want to run the Telnet program in the NET directory, in this case you would just type: load TIPI.NET.TELNET or you could go to that folder by typing: VOL TIPI.NET. once there just type LOAD TELNET

Of course you could also setup a batch file to load these with one button.

It also works with DIS/FIX 80 files. Say you were in the TIPI./DSK0. directory and wanted to run a DIS/FIX80 format file, you could type the following example:

just type: FIX80 TIPI.DIRECTORY.PROGNAME then when the directory prompt reappears again like DSK0.> just type in LINK LINKNAME