IGNORED

AtGames 2018 speculation thread

For those interested, the AtGames social media accounts are as follows:

https://twitter.com/ATGFlashback

https://www.facebook.com/ATGFlashback/

There should be official info released about the many new features and products within the next two months. Definitely before E3.

• Like 5

I assume it will be enhancements/improvements/additions to the 2600 and Genesis products. No other systems this year. i.e. INT and CV.

No Intellivision or ColecoVision this year. In terms of other products, we can definitely discuss once the official announcements are made.

• Like 6

No Intellivision or ColecoVision this year. In terms of other products, we can definitely discuss once the official announcements are made.

OK so I'm trying to piece together all your comments... so no Coleco, INV . Neo geo and Nintendo are also out. You mentioned Atari 8-bit is too small a market with very few unique games. Hmm I think only C64, Amiga, or arcade products are left as possibilities? Or do you just mean new form factors (mini arcades, table tops....) for the existing lines (Atari and Sega).

Edited by thetick1

The core products will still be Atari 2600- and Sega Genesis/Mega Drive-driven. There will be some new form factors, as well as potentially some new platforms/product types explored on both the hardware and software sides. The latter depends on a few pending factors for it to make it out this year, but either way, it will still be a pretty impressive line-up of products in terms of number of different options. There's one product in particular I'm keeping an eye on that I'm very excited about, but it almost certainly won't be announced as part of the main group of products.

Instead of me further vague-posting, I'll stay out of dropping any further hints. Again, I can tell you that unfortunately there are no Intellivision or ColecoVision products planned for this year. There will be quite a few hardware and software products to discuss as the year progresses (almost all products are targeted to Q4 of this year), although not everything may be announced at the same time.

• Like 9

The core products will still be Atari 2600- and Sega Genesis/Mega Drive-driven. There will be some new form factors, as well as potentially some new platforms/product types explored on both the hardware and software sides. The latter depends on a few pending factors for it to make it out this year, but either way, it will still be a pretty impressive line-up of products in terms of number of different options. There's one product in particular I'm keeping an eye on that I'm very excited about, but it almost certainly won't be announced as part of the main group of products.

Instead of me further vague-posting, I'll stay out of dropping any further hints. Again, I can tell you that unfortunately there are no Intellivision or ColecoVision products planned for this year. There will be quite a few hardware and software products to discuss as the year progresses (almost all products are targeted to Q4 of this year), although not everything may be announced at the same time.

Much thanks for the details as you definitely don't need to jeopardize your standing at AtGames. I was hoping for a NeoGeo or Commodore ... oh well. I like to buy AtGames products as they appear to license their products the right way and cater to the cheap US market (which I'm their target market). I even bought a bunch more AFP 2017 on clearence ($25 at Samsclub) to give out as gifts to old time Atari playing non-techie friends of mine.

I hate to admit it I broke down and bought the Bittboy last night .. only $25.99 and free shipping. I feel justified in buying the Bitboy since I can't find SNES/NES classics at local retail nor on-line (under a hundred dollars). I do feel bad supporting blatant piracy, but I blame Nintendo for scarcity of the NES/SNES Classics.

Edited by thetick1
  • Like 1

I hate to admit it I broke down and bought the Bittboy last night .. only $25.99 and free shipping. I feel justified in buying the Bitboy since I can't find SNES/NES classics at local retail nor on-line (under a hundred dollars).

I really liked the Bittboy, although my review unit had some dead pixels.

• Like 1

I really liked the Bittboy, although my review unit had some dead pixels.

After viewing your review and many others.. I would be perfectly fine with some dead pixels. Nothing is ever perfect especially an Asian NOAC knock off like the Bittboy. But at $25.99 and free shipping it sounds like an awsome purchase for the price. I spent enough money on 2DS XL and 3DS games this year so Nintendo is not hurting.

Please don't take this the wrong way but I'm surprised you were comfortable publicly reviewing a blatantly pirated device.

• Like 1

They were for sale on amazon ...are you suggesting he should turn himself in for receiving stolen goods or something?

Amazon will sell anything that will move volume. It takes a written legal threat from lawyer(s) to get Amazon to remove a pirate product.

ATGames might not be thrilled to see Bittboy videos right next to AtGames videos .. at Bill's Youtube and Armchairarcade web site.

Edited by thetick1

Please don't take this the wrong way but I'm surprised you were comfortable publicly reviewing a blatantly pirated device.

Interesting thought. I've always been comfortable discussing all aspects of the videogame and computer industries. ROMs, grey market products, etc., are all in play, and there's a lot of nuance in those areas beyond good/verboten. It would seem silly to ignore such things, particularly ones that take the form of retail products. In any case, AtGames is well aware of my independent activities and never had a problem with it (in fact, just the opposite). I'm clear when I represent AtGames and I'm clear when I represent myself as a journalist or gamer (and similarly in my day jobs). I guess that's been one of the many advantages of using my real name for the past few decades or so online--clarity.

• Like 5

Interesting thought. I've always been comfortable discussing all aspects of the videogame and computer industries. ROMs, grey market products, etc., are all in play, and there's a lot of nuance in those areas beyond good/verboten. It would seem silly to ignore such things, particularly ones that take the form of retail products. In any case, AtGames is well aware of my independent activities and never had a problem with it (in fact, just the opposite). I'm clear when I represent AtGames and I'm clear when I represent myself as a journalist or gamer (and similarly in my day jobs). I guess that's been one of the many advantages of using my real name for the past few decades or so online--clarity.

Makes sense. Thanks. Very glad to have you as an active contributor here.

I forgot about Bittboy that does look kind of fun for a teeny nes on the go. I'm going to read up on it and see if I can jog my memory why I never picked that up. Maybe it's owning that fb mobile 88 and a super games 500in1 with it, but that thing is far less space saving and chews through AAAs.

I know you kind of eluded to it, but I'll still for now hold out hope of a proper sega handheld this year, if not, another year to wait is fine.

I know you kind of eluded to it, but I'll still for now hold out hope of a proper sega handheld this year, if not, another year to wait is fine.

The Sega SD and handheld use the same emulation as always. This was supposed to be the year that the switch happened, but it looks like it will instead be next year for various reasons. The Sega SD and handheld for 2018 do benefit from several nifty feature updates, but the sound issue remains sadly.

I was hoping for a [..] Commodore ... oh well.

I understand that Retro Games Limited in the UK, who are launching THEC64 right now in Europe with a release later in the USA, have both passion, money and cont®acts to make a decent line of products. Most people still are indifferent, some are upset about them trying to make money on the old C64. While AtGames doesn't have the best of reputations regarding quality, in particular the Genesis devices, I don't really the same animosity at least from Atari fans about what they're doing, but perhaps the Atari Flashbacks have been around long enough to have those feelings settled.

With that said, there may be a whole line of at least C64 related products from RGL in the coming years. Given one of the biggest challenges is to obtain licenses to games (which is why RGL's device has so many semi-obscure UK games instead of the big name smash hits from the US), it would seem there is little room for another company to compete with them unless RGL screws up about what they deliver. Perhaps there was an opening right before THEC64 came to market.

The Amiga line has the exact same problem about games licenses, plus that you have several actors fighting for the name/brand rights, OS rights and whatsnot. While it was relatively big here in Europe, I understand it "failed" in the US, which would make a dedicated Amiga games device just as obscure as a TG-16/PCE games device. I strongly doubt anyone will venture into that swamp unless they have really big money to throw around themselves to keep the vultures and crocodiles satiated.

• Like 4

The Sega SD and handheld use the same emulation as always. This was supposed to be the year that the switch happened, but it looks like it will instead be next year for various reasons. The Sega SD and handheld for 2018 do benefit from several nifty feature updates, but the sound issue remains sadly.

Well I'll just have to see what kind of repairs they've done as you have me curious now. I know you can't say NDA and all that, so no reason to ask further as I respect that. Odds are though I'd wait another year as I can't imagine firecore ever really working right even with bandaids but you never know.

Sure, but can one expect that Joe Average and his kids will invest the time into downloading games from sites they probably need to find themselves unless the manufacturer helpfully can give vague hints, and put on memory cards? Us die-hard gamers for sure both can handle (*) and perhaps prefer this to the direct opposite of hardcoded games, but us die-hard nerds often already got the original equipment and are less eager to get the reproductions. Well, except if it says Nintendo of course, then you gotta have it no matter how many previous Nintendo consoles you own.

(*) Though I've read about more than one customer of the LTO Flash! for the Intellivision who thinks it seems cumbersome to load that device through USB with ROMs of their choice, and rather have the device sitting in its box instead of using it. If even retro gamers still playing on the old hardware are unsure how to use new devices that aren't that complicated once you settle down and spend 20 minutes really trying to understand it, much less Joe Average if he doesn't come from an otherwise technical background.

• Like 3

Well I'll just have to see what kind of repairs they've done as you have me curious now. I know you can't say NDA and all that, so no reason to ask further as I respect that. Odds are though I'd wait another year as I can't imagine firecore ever really working right even with bandaids but you never know.

To be clear, there are no repairs to the emulation itself. The core emulation is exactly the same as before, including the sound. It's extra features on top of that that don't directly impact actual emulation performance.

• Like 1

Like I said in another thread, there was an opportunity with The64 distribution here, but it didn't work out. I can only assume that they'll work out a deal with someone else in the US market where the relatively high cost of the device is not a deterrent. It seems like a solid product overall and will be even better once they sort out the game-on-an-SD-card limitation with a firmware update.

I also think the Armiga is a solid device on the Amiga side and may even pick one up eventually to replace the Amigas I'm auctioning off. That's less of a mass market product, though, and I don't think it would have the same US distribution opportunities as The64 for a variety of reasons (no onboard games, even higher price, no joystick included, etc.).

• Like 4