IGNORED

AtGames 2018 speculation thread

In terms of the Flashback 9 game list, will the Burgertime and Tutankham games by any chance be reprogrammed versions? Even if they are not, their inclusion is very appreciated. Beamrider is as well (not sure if that was on any of the 8 versions, I had to skip the 8 series this past year, but it seems new). And yes, Pitfall II will be great...would love it if it had the extra adventure, but I presume that would not be the case. I actually was playing Pitfall 2, 800 version, at the Archive site not long ago...amazing how well that game holds up. Graphics and control quality are impressive, as is the large world......did Crane program the entire thing himself, or did others help?

• Like 1

In terms of the Flashback 9 game list, will the Burgertime and Tutankham games by any chance be reprogrammed versions? Even if they are not, their inclusion is very appreciated. Beamrider is as well (not sure if that was on any of the 8 versions, I had to skip the 8 series this past year, but it seems new). And yes, Pitfall II will be great...would love it if it had the extra adventure, but I presume that would not be the case. I actually was playing Pitfall 2, 800 version, at the Archive site not long ago...amazing how well that game holds up. Graphics and control quality are impressive, as is the large world......did Crane program the entire thing himself, or did others help?

The only reprogrammed AtGames games are Frogger and Space Invaders, and those were special requirements from the publisher. No other games have special requirements like that.

• Like 6

Wow the Flashback 9 HD looks great .. from the FCC posted manual. I might have to buy this for the living room if the SD card can be loaded with roms. Anyone find any details about if SD slot can be used to load roms? Bill ?

The FCC manual only mentions firmware upgrades with SD. Nothing about loading roms. Well worst case I'm sure the firmware will be analyzed and/or hacked to allow changing the roms soon enough..

Currently just have AFP 2017 but it's a clear composite video and bit awkward to use connected to a TV.

Edited by thetick1

The only reprogrammed AtGames games are Frogger and Space Invaders, and those were special requirements from the publisher. No other games have special requirements like that.

That's different.. The publishers said the original code couldn't be used? Or did they want the game to have a different look for some reason?

That's different.. The publishers said the original code couldn't be used? Or did they want the game to have a different look for some reason?

We've been over the Frogger situation -- we think the original arcade version and the 2600 port contains music that is not licensed for this use. We discussed it to death a few years ago, probably in the Dedicated Games section. Edit: found the link with a video that says it all. Atariage user Onmode-ky is the master of the plug-n-play universe. http://atariage.com/forums/topic/250709-2016-flashback-speculation-thread/?p=3494373

As for Space Invaders, I think Taito uses one of the enemy characters as its company trademark/mascot, so it would follow that they want that version whenever possible.

post-2410-0-45620500-1534605945.gif

Note that AtGames has been featuring Pac-Man but not the original Atari 2600 version, it's always a homebrew that better resembles the arcade version. I'm sure that almost everyone of a certain age notices that, but I wish I could get into the heads of people who thought it always looked like this, or don't appreciate that the new primitive game is so much less primitive than the primitive game it replaced.

• Like 5

...And yes, Pitfall II will be great...would love it if it had the extra adventure, but I presume that would not be the case. I actually was playing Pitfall 2, 800 version, at the Archive site not long ago...amazing how well that game holds up. Graphics and control quality are impressive, as is the large world......did Crane program the entire thing himself, or did others help?

See https://web.archive.org/web/20071224152248/http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Lair/9260/dc.html.

"The conversion of Pitfall II to the home computers made for an interesting story that might explain the other urban legend. The Commodore 64 and Atari 800 conversions were assigned to two different programmers who sat on either side of me in the lab. Given the assignment of taking a game written for the 2600 and converting it to another machine based on the same microprocessor, each guy took a different path. For the 800, Mike Lorenzen chose to take my code exactly and re-write the display code and any other machine-dependent portions. For the C64, Tim Shotter went the other way and wrote code from scratch, using the 2600 game as a model. We were very interested in the results, because each method has its disadvantages. Trying to read and modify code written by someone else can be very difficult, but the code that you are starting with has already been debugged. On the other side, it is often much quicker to write code in your own style from scratch, but you then have to debug the whole thing.

As it turned out, they both reached beta (the point where all the features are in the game, but final testing has not been done) at the same time. But Mike's game was nearly error free while Tim's required a month of testing and debugging. During that month, Mike added an entire second world to the game, clearly proving that his approach had been the correct one. And now that I think about it, he may have given Rhonda some increased role in that level. But in any case, on the Atari 800 version of Pitfall II, after you complete the first level (identical to the 2600 version), you move on to a complete second level of play. This is by design and not exactly an easter egg, but this may be the source of the rumor. "

Edited by thetick1
  • Like 4

Thanks for that link/information. That's a great story. I don't know anything about programming (for the most part), but the comparison between the two approaches seems fascinating. I'm going to check some video of the C64 version to see how it compares. It amazes me that someone would just program that adaptation starting with nothing, I would assume that is both time-intensive and intellectually arduous for such a game, but like I say, I'm not familiar with the intricacies of performing something like that, so perhaps there were techniques/development tools available that made some of the process automated. I'll have to research the topic some more or ask about it in the programming part of the forum. Also: judging from the information presented, I take it Crane did the 2600 version on his own. That is impressive.

I have to say again, though, that game is addictive after all these years. I remember completing the 800 version and will try to do so again. Not as good at the game as I used to be, though (I'm not a great gamer in general).

Thanks Bill for the reply on the versions available for the titles I asked about. As historical artifacts they are great, and they look to be fun as well (I have never played them), but I will reluctantly admit that Burgertime looks like a somewhat challenging adaptation in terms of play value.

Well, bad news I'm afraid. If any pre-announcements are made for the October releases, it will be in September. Everything is still coming, but I just don't see a big desire for early previews/announcements on the AtGames side for various reasons. It looks like all we may get in terms of announcements in September will be for the new product line, which will be the big push company-wise for this year (they're surprisingly good products for the price point, but I don't know if it will directly appeal to everyone here that's used to the traditional form factors). The updated existing product line (and they're generally very good updates) may just see release without any additional fanfare. I'll continue to give whatever updates I can in the mean-time, and we can freely discuss everything once released, of course.

Bill, so will you still be able to share with us all their info about the updated existing Atari and Sega product line even though AtGames won't give those two any additional fanfare announcement?!

:cool:

Edited by TrekkiELO

We've been over the Frogger situation -- we think the original arcade version and the 2600 port contains music that is not licensed for this use. We discussed it to death a few years ago, probably in the Dedicated Games section. Edit: found the link with a video that says it all. Atariage user Onmode-ky is the master of the plug-n-play universe. http://atariage.com/forums/topic/250709-2016-flashback-speculation-thread/?p=3494373

As for Space Invaders, I think Taito uses one of the enemy characters as its company trademark/mascot, so it would follow that they want that version whenever possible.

attachicon.giftaito-game-station-logo-DA2AE4A22A-seeklogo.com.gif

Note that AtGames has been featuring Pac-Man but not the original Atari 2600 version, it's always a homebrew that better resembles the arcade version. I'm sure that almost everyone of a certain age notices that, but I wish I could get into the heads of people who thought it always looked like this, or don't appreciate that the new primitive game is so much less primitive than the primitive game it replaced.

Primitive had absolutely nothing to do with it for me, it's the original Atari 2600 version's unique difference from its arcade counterpart that has appeal.

So what will Super Impulse be doing on their Frogger Tiny Arcade release this year then?!

Edited by TrekkiELO

I just posted to my Notes and Nerds facebook, and twitter accounts. FCC information regarding the Atari Flashback 9 Gold, and the Sega Genesis Flashback (2018). They have SD card slots. Now, these appear to be prototypes, so I am not sure if the slot will make it to the final builds, but I did send an email to confirm this. I am waiting to hear back.

Atari Flashback 9 Gold - https://fccid.io/2AMTQ3650ATARI

Sega Flashback (2018) - https://fccid.io/2AMTQ3680SEGA18

Now, back before the 8 landed, I was informed by a contact at AtGames that the SD card slot for the Atari Flashback line was in the pipeline. For the 2017 model, they wanted to focus on introducing the HDMI support first. With the Hyperkin Retron '77 out, and offering SD card support, I would be surprised that AtGames didn't offer the card slot. Especially since the handheld units already offered SD card support. When I find out more (hopefully within the next day or so), I will share my findings.

-EDIT-

I found the Flashback 8 Gold, and Sega Genesis HD (2017) on the FCC sight, and those prototypes did NOT have the SD card slot. The Genesis HD didn't even have a card reader on the mobo. I am very confident in saying that SD card support is FINALLY coming to the Flashback consoles!

Do you have any info about the 2018 Atari Flashback Portable?

Edited by TrekkiELO

What about games, will there be new ones like Williams exclusive to the portable, kind of how Konami is on their Atari Flashback 9 Gold?

It's the usual every different unit gets its own mix of games. I can't really comment on the additions this year. However, it ultimately doesn't matter a great deal since obviously all but the one set of SKUs is expandable via SD card slot.

• Like 7

Do you have any info about the 2018 Atari Flashback Portable?

I did not find anything actually. I have dug through it, but nothing at all is popping up about the portable. However, one has to suspect that they will issue an "updated" version to the FCC for this year.