IGNORED

AtGames 2018 speculation thread

The ability to update the firmware is important for a variety of reasons, including enabling functionality that is not necessarily allowed to be included in the box, but is otherwise possible.

In terms of unusual licensing additions, as many of you know, various licenses have scattered to the far ends of the earth over the years (some never to be seen again, sadly) and have ended up in unexpected places. If it's a good game or especially a good game with a good IP, we obviously try to get it. As you can see from some of the games in the "leaked" lists, that means a few unusual (but fortunately, good) additions.

• Like 6

Yes, but Bill may have been giving us a hint that SD rom loading isn't functionality present out of the box. We might have to download a firmware update from the AtGames website to enable it.

We don't really know all the particulars yet other than knowing that it's a feature.

• Like 1

Honestly, I hope that it not being enabled out of the box is true. I know that sounds strange. Out of the box, official support would mean having an interface designed for it along the lines of the C64 mini (meaning having an "Other" category on the menu for loaded games). Unofficial support might mean something closer to letting us drop ROMs in the right folder (and images - if we choose) and letting the system treat them the same as any built in ones.

Well, whatever it means, I hope we don't have the same issue as a similar product that limited the number of ROMs you could load, then when you add the firmware, it made the number of ROMs unlimited, but you still had issues upgrading the emulator. The whole thing seems hokey to me...

I really doubt there will be a limit like that foolish one the Retron 77 shipped with.

I don't share the hate towards Hyperkin and look forward to them restocking so that I can buy an hopefully improved device later this year (And ideally someday be able to install the latest Stella build onto it), but I thought that was just bizarre. It was as if they were saying that a little bit of piracy of 40 year old software was okay with them, but too much of a good thing was stepping over some invisible boundary that made it unacceptable.

AtGames is no stranger to allowing the user to easily load roms onto their AtGames device. There have been no silly nonsensical limits there yet, so I can't imagine why they'd start now.

Edited by Atariboy

Yes, but Bill may have been giving us a hint that SD rom loading isn't functionality present out of the box. We might have to download a firmware update from the AtGames website to enable it.

We don't really know all the particulars yet other than knowing that it's a feature.

Yea, I bet it won't be enabled out-of-the-box. It may not even be in a firmware that can be downloaded from ATGames but rather require a custom firmware that some local AtariAge talent would be required to write. Bill, can you clarify this please?

Yea, I bet it won't be enabled out-of-the-box. It may not even be in a firmware that can be downloaded from ATGames but rather require a custom firmware that some local AtariAge talent would be required to write. Bill, can you clarify this please?

Without revealing too much, it won't be something anyone will have to write themselves (although, honestly, I'm sure there will be hacks/other implementations out there as well, which is all good!)

• Like 2

That's a crying shame, its a sharp looking device.

It does look nice (remember it from the original Euro release), but I wonder how it supports difficulty switches and what-not. We already know it doesn't have an SD card slot, either, which is unfortunate.

• Like 1

Among other things, I hope they have included a CRT filter as an option. Especially for the Sega Megadrive Flashback HD.

After all, this has already been done for NES Classic Edition, Super NES Classic Edition and THEC64 Mini.

There is no mention of a CRT option in the user guide so I doubt it.

Edited by Atari Nut

So, no composite video output and no CRT filter option. Sad.

There are always complaints with anything, really. Legacy TV support really did have to go in my opinion. The type of consumer this is targeted at no longer has a CRT, and some modern TVs have limited composite support.

There IS a scanline filter across all of the products, but I personally feel that the way that it's implemented is not going to satisfy the "CRT filter option" crowd.

• Like 5