IGNORED

AtGames 2018 speculation thread

I guess if someone is so hard up for their CRT madness, if you need something fairly newer than an original 2600, you could look at the flashback 2 and either pay for it or DIY and hack the thing up, add a cart slot, and have at it. Something from the mid2000s vs 1977 has potentially more life to it depending how much the fail rate on those were. When you're building a budget box, anything that fails to have good use has got to go. If anything I guess blame Nintendo. When that NES CE popped up it made it very clear that HDMI was both affordable in a closed mini console, but also very beautiful and practical working on all modern TVs in like the last 15 years. The old component/composite is dying fast, so why waste the space and expense.

• Like 1

It does look nice (remember it from the original Euro release), but I wonder how it supports difficulty switches and what-not. We already know it doesn't have an SD card slot, either, which is unfortunate.

Good question. I guess there's always the outside chance that it just doesn't, but that would be a little nuts. Who knows.

I think the TV Effects in Stella 3.x and higher and the similar ones in other emulators are an ok approximation of the CRT look in their own way. They serve a purpose to take the hard edge and pixelated look away. Soften it up.

The look is different, just as each display's technology is different. And it's good to see the modern gamer, the newcomer, adapt so readily to HDMI.

Edited by Keatah

For me the clearer and crisper the screen is, the better the gaming experience. The first time I played an Atari on an HD TV my jaw hit the floor. This is what I always dreamed of when I played back in the 80's. Why couldn't we have a cleaner screen without the snowy interference of the RF modulator? Well now we finally can! :cool:

• Like 3

I like it sharper than what we had in 1977, but not HDMI sharpness of today. TV Effects settings on Stella let me have that.

I do like the RF modular fuzzies and interference, but as nostalgia only. I wouldn't want to play through one everyday.

In the not too distant future I think just about everyone will come to like the HDMI interface for classic gaming, especially if synthetic degradation, distortion, noise, and interference can be be had with filters and GPU processing. Not forgetting more advanced controls in the emulator's "video out" option tab.

Edited by Keatah

Looks like this year's models will definitely be worth picking up with Stella and the Genesis Plus GX emulators being used!

This was announced? I see Stella mentioned in the fine print of the manual pdf that privateers69 posted, but this is the first time I've seen the Genesis emulator announced.

Edit: Nevermind, I found it. :)

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

https://youtu.be/xZXF0aMEQPI?t=13m5s

I'm glad Game Sack went thru the AtGames Genesis HD in this video and shows how bad the emulation is.

Low fps, framerates issues, sound, etc. (https://youtu.be/xZXF0aMEQPI?t=15m30s)

It seems the whole focus was the "HD" part and nothing else. If games can't run properly like they did on the actual Genesis, really shows low effort being put into these consoles.

What exactly was changed in the emulation from previous editions?

This has me question the Mega Drive Mini now, which I am interested in. Why doesn't Sega do it themselves?

Edited by romeoteknik

What exactly was changed in the emulation from previous editions?

All of it?

Last year's initial foray into HD used a custom AtGames developed emulator. As discussed for page after page here in this thread, this year's product is using licensed emulators that are popular in the classic gaming community (Specifically Stella for the Atari Flashback 9 and Genesis Plus GX on the Sega side).

Edited by Atariboy

All of it?

Last year's initial foray into HD used a custom AtGames developed emulator. As discussed for page after page here in this thread, this year's product is using licensed emulators that are popular in the classic gaming community (Specifically Stella for the Atari Flashback 9 and Genesis Plus GX on the Sega side).

Thank you! Great to hear.

Edited by romeoteknik

That is a nice little dig there on the manual documentation on that Genesis device, and it has to be reassuring to people knowing that Genesis Plus GX/Retroarch have come into play. That means there's no good reason other than maybe borderline sabotage on their own tinkering that would degrade the performance off what other devices can do using those with the Genesis emulation. I'm very impressed, curious to see how this works out in a matter of weeks/months as the time is coming when stuff like this needs to start hitting retail for the rush later in the year.

Did we ever get sorted for fact if the handheld Genesis is still garbage this year or did they use the Genesis Plus GX code in that too?

Will this year's Genesis Flashback be able to read an Everdrive cartridge?

Safe to say that the answer is no. This is emulation based and that means that the contents of the cartridge will be dumped. So that means that at most, you'd end up with the Everdrive menu.

But with the built-in SD slot and the already confirmed ability to load roms via it, it doesn't really matter.

I noticed there is a "5" before Stella in the manual. Does this mean they are using version 5 or maybe it could be for something else, like a footnote?

The fact that there's a "REWIND" button on the joystick pretty much confirms that the device is using Stella 5: rewind during gameplay is a feature that was only added in version 5.1.

• Like 1

Safe to say that the answer is no. This is emulation based and that means that the contents of the cartridge will be dumped. So that means that at most, you'd end up with the Everdrive menu.

But with the built-in SD slot and the already confirmed ability to load roms via it, it doesn't really matter.

Oh, it was confirmed you can load roms via the SD card? I wasn't aware of that - I read the .pdf of the manual and all I saw was that you can update the firmware that way. Thanks for the info!

Oh, it was confirmed you can load roms via the SD card? I wasn't aware of that - I read the .pdf of the manual and all I saw was that you can update the firmware that way. Thanks for the info!

I think Bill confirmed this in an earlier post. I'm guessing the manual doesn't mention it to avoid having to official support that feature and/or potential legal issues involving roms. Edited by bmadgames