IGNORED

AtGames 2018 speculation thread

Without some sort of viable real-time access, cart compatibility will always be limited. Just look at the Polymega.

I feel like we're getting awfully close to Christmas shopping season to be waiting for details on the 2018 AtGames lineup. Hopefully the announcening is coming soon. I'm floored that there hasn't at least been a LITTLE official talk about the Mega Drive Mini. It was announced five months ago now.

We are 100% having announcements this month (I already finished one of the press releases), but they're only going to be about the new products, not any of the past products that have updates for this year.

Anyway, most of the products will hit early October as usual, so there really isn't that much longer to wait to see what's what.

• Like 1

We are 100% having announcements this month (I already finished one of the press releases), but they're only going to be about the new products, not any of the past products that have updates for this year.

Anyway, most of the products will hit early October as usual, so there really isn't that much longer to wait to see what's what.

Thanks Bill. I'm hoping the revamped Mega Drive Mini is one of those new things given how it was a big deal back in April. :)

Without some sort of viable real-time access, cart compatibility will always be limited. Just look at the Polymega.

Polymega is a circus act on a whole different level. AtGames at least gets stuff out there.

I do see the demand for increasing accuracy from these "flashback" units. Rightly or wrongly.. However. And I still personally recommend a cheap intel powered NUC so that one may run a full and complete version of Stella, which is at 6 if you count beta.

Some emulators like Altirra (Atari 400/800 8-bit machines) are so good I would have no qualms about labeling them "official" and would do so if I had such authority. But the best I (we) can hope for in regards to that is get the blessings of the community.

Agreed. If there isn't a legal reason to have 5 then it's just a matter of milking another year out of these things. They know with the SD card slot and the latest version of stella there'd be no reason to buy any future models.

There is no milking going on. It's just a matter of having the time to make a later version work or not. Deadlines are set by the retail calendar. Really, if there was milking, other features wouldn't be present, like the SD card slot. It's not like these types of things don't sell reliably either way.

• Like 1

Ok then I'll patiently wait to see what's in store.

And just to be clear, I can understand the disappointment if it's not the 5.x version this year. I'm just stating that if it is, it's because the 5.x version wouldn't be working properly in time. There's no advantage to staying versions behind when using these types of emulators other than making sure that core functionality works the way it's supposed to.

Aww, it's better than that ... if you turn the sound off. ;)

I'm with you, I want the Genesis portable to improve, too. I thought it was the mutt's nuts when I first got it back in 2008 or so. I agree, it should be closer to perfect by now. At least it's cheap, and you can add more games via SDcard.

I could totally tolerate the audio if I had to. The problem is the cheap hackery to make a few games do saving, but not supporting all save chip games, and that some games via SD card still after a decade are broken. That's what really gets me. The audio I can handle even if it's fairly awful in a few games more than others but when you get into jacking up key features just to play it, or game breaking bugs to stop progression I lose interest. Given what we've seen on other similar sized handhelds around it's not asking much to see that change I wouldn't think.

I believe Bill confirmed months ago that the Mega Drive Mini was just a Japanese release of the upcoming 2018 iteration of the Sega Genesis Flashback HD, which is obviously a continuation of an existing product line so isn't going to get a press release announcement this month.

Edited by Atariboy

Based on reviewing the user manual and images I’ve seen of the 2018 Genesis/Megadrive Flashback here are my observations.

Games

All Genesis games from the 2017 HD model are included and 5 additional games were added (Champions World Class Soccer, Joe & Mac, Judge Dredd, Side Pocket and Darwin 4081).

All Master System games are the same as 2017 HD model.

All game gear games are the same as 2017 HD model.

Bonus games- Added: Bottle Taps Race, Chess and Warehouse Keeper. Removed: Adventure in the park, Bubbles Master, Cross the road, Curling 2010, Jack’s Pea, Jewel Magic and Pluming Contest Wall breaking.

System

Cosmetic volume slider added.

Genesis/Megadrive logo moved to middle of console and atgames logo is engraved on the front right corner of the console (without color added so it’s less obvious).

Has an SD slot (user manual indicates for firmware updates).

Has a Micro-USB adaptor jack.

Genesis Plus GX emulator.

Controllers

No screw to remove on battery cover.

Removed rewind and menu buttons from player 2 controller.

Unknown

Menu interface improved.

Will you be able to add games via SD slot.

Based on the above I’m excited for this console. It really seems like atgames took all 2017 HD model criticism into account. Especially if the menu interface is improved and you have the ability to load games via the SD slot. Very curious about the SD slot and adding games. Seems like atgames would not allow adding of games out of the box. Possible online store to purchase additional games? Or maybe they will just wait for people to hack it. Time will tell I guess.

• Like 2

AtGames/Sega has allowed the user to load roms in many past Sega products and Bill Loguidice has already confirmed the feature. The only question is if it's a feature open out of the box like in the past, or if we'll have to download a firmware update off the AtGames site and install it via SD card to enable it.

Bill appeared to allude to the latter in a post a week or two ago.

• Like 1

AtGames/Sega has allowed the user to load roms in many past Sega products and Bill Loguidice has already confirmed the feature. The only question is if it's a feature open out of the box like in the past, or if we'll have to download a firmware update off the AtGames site and install it via SD card to enable it.

Bill appeared to allude to the latter in a post a week or two ago.

Can you play Master System and Game Gear roms from the SD card in addition to Genesis roms?

The FCC has a bunch of info on the Flashbacks, including user manual:

All AtGames listings: https://fccid.io/2AMTQ

And of course I pulled out some of my favorites:

Genesis with SD card slot (hopefully ROM support, however unofficial):

https://fccid.io/2AMTQ3680SEGA18

Atari Flashback 9 Gold:

https://fccid.io/2AMTQ3650ATARI

6-button Genesis style wireless controller called "Blast" (edit: this appears to be some sort of HDMI stick with wireless controller)

https://fccid.io/2AMTQMK3BLAST

Add-on wireless paddles also called "Blast" (another HDMI stick and wireless controller combo)

https://fccid.io/2AMTQARC300

the manuals for the Blast controller things references http://blast.atgames.net but the site isn't up yet

Edited by derFunkenstein
  • Like 1

I realized that if you looked at the manual for those Blast controllers you could download a PDF that was easy to zoom in on and read.

There are a bunch of them listed on the second page of the manual that comes with the Genesis-style controller.

Legends Flashback Blast

Bandai-Namco Flashback Blast

Atari Flashback Blast v1

Atari Flashback Blast v2

Atari Flashback Blast v3

Activision Flashback Blast

That last one is probably where all the Activision games went. My guess is that one or more of the Blasts come with the paddles instead of joystick. Unfortunately the FCC listing for most of them include the Genesis manual instead of their own.

Edited by derFunkenstein