IGNORED

AtGames 2018 speculation thread

For convenience, I've posted the official game lists for every AtGames product announced thus far (all the Blast!'s, the Legends Flashback console, and the Atari Flashback 9) on Armchair Arcade: https://armchairarcade.com/perspectives/

Reviews (not from me, of course) should be hitting soon. Lots of those are going to be video reviews.

What happened to Space Raid? :ponder:

I thought no homebrews anymore? That said, the Pitfall 2 and the M-Network Data East ports are also missing, which I understood as already having been confirmed as included.

Perhaps they're all exclusive to the Atari Flashback 9 Gold Edition, which seems to not have been officially announced as of yet (The Data East games are also in the Legends Flashback Blast).

What's the deal with Ms. Pac-Man these days anyways? Arcade Pac-Man still pops up left and right when Namco arcade classics are released, but Ms. Pac-Man almost never does anymore.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

What happened to Space Raid? :ponder:

Space Raid is in the Legends Flashback Blast!. It looks like it's also in the Atari Flashback 9 Gold, which also has Pitfall II (it has 20 more games than the regular 9). I'll release that list once the product is announced and/or made active on the Website.

• Like 4

Comparing the list that Bill posted with the Gold Edition's manual on the FCC site shows these differences (I may have missed one or two).

Possible Gold Edition exclusives based off the FCC manual:

• Atari Video Cube
  • Burgertime
  • Burnin' Rubber (Bump 'n' Jump)
  • Chase It!
  • Freeway
  • Lock 'n Chase
  • Miss It!
  • Pitfall II (Confirmed)
  • Shield Shifter
  • Space Raid (Confirmed)
  • Strip Off

Confirmed inclusions in the regular Atari Flashback 9 that aren't present in the Gold Edition manual scan:

• Fishing Derby
  • Oink!

Obviously not the full list of differences since Bill confirmed the Gold Edition has 20 additional games and this only amounts to 9 after we subtract Fishing Derby and Oink!. And it's quite possibly not entirely accurate since following these for several years shows that the game list tends to be really fluid.

Not that this all matters much anyways thanks to that SD card slot. ;)

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

Yes. It only works with the new paddles. It needs a higher polling rate.

Can you verify this? Technically this doesn't make sense for wired Atari controllers. Atari paddles are just a 1 Megaohm potentiometer (variable resistor) behind the plastic wheel and a switch behind the button that's wired directly into the joystick connector. There's no active electronic elements in them and they can be polled as often as desired (infinitely so). The polling rate is only dependent on how fast the console itself can poll the joystick port. In the 2600 that's under direct control of the game program anyways. The controller is just a passive element.

• Like 1

Can you verify this? Technically this doesn't make sense for wired Atari controllers. Atari paddles are just a 1 Megaohm potentiometer (variable resistor) behind the plastic wheel and a switch behind the button that's wired directly into the joystick connector. There's no active electronic elements in them and they can be polled as often as desired (infinitely so). The polling rate is only dependent on how fast the console itself can poll the joystick port. In the 2600 that's under direct control of the game program anyways. The controller is just a passive element.

Possibly the resistance needs to be higher to allow for faster polling. There is always a transition time for signals.

The game code runs in a ‘virtual’ 2600, and there is always a delay involved due to the hardware being controlled indirectly. There were a fair number of complaints about the lag with paddles on the older Flashbacks, and it appears that they have tried to resolve this. The trade-off seems to be incompatibility with original paddles.

• Like 3

This is a big deal unfortunately. You will have to pay extra to even be able to play paddle games. Hopefully they are even readily available.

I can't argue with this. It will definitely frustrate some people, but the decision was made to provide a better experience despite the pain point. I would have likely gone in a different direction, but the decision was not up to me.

Possibly the resistance needs to be higher to allow for faster polling. There is always a transition time for signals.

The game code runs in a ‘virtual’ 2600, and there is always a delay involved due to the hardware being controlled indirectly. There were a fair number of complaints about the lag with paddles on the older Flashbacks, and it appears that they have tried to resolve this. The trade-off seems to be incompatibility with original paddles.

Resistance value does not affect polling rates. Not at these speeds and values.

I dont like this either! I want to be able to use original paddles.

Instead of all this horsing around with emulation and its issues and patch on-top of patch and mods and differences. Just duplicate original circuitry and be done with it. This is 2018 where we can build chips with billions of transistors. And the original VCS could not have had more than 20,000. Sure it's a loaded question, but just sayin'..

As far as paddles go. Nothing could be simpler than a switch and pot in a plastic housing.

• Like 1

Instead of all this horsing around with emulation and its issues and patch on-top of patch and mods and differences. Just duplicate original circuitry and be done with it. This is 2018 where we can build chips with billions of transistors. And the original VCS could not have had more than 20,000. Sure it's a loaded question, but just sayin'..

As far as paddles go. Nothing could be simpler than a switch and pot in a plastic housing.

I'm sure within a few years FPGA technology will be mature and cheap enough to be included in inexpensive mass market products.

I'm sure within a few years FPGA technology will be mature and cheap enough to be included in inexpensive mass market products.

I wonder what the catalyst for lower FPGA prices would be. Personally I think it would be having more generic libraries of parts and circuits and modules available.

I know the tech has been around since the late 80's and early 90's, and likely earlier in military and research applications. FPGA tech grew out of PLD and PROM / EPROM devices. The Apple //e has a PLD or two in it. FPGA tech is rather limited to vertical applications such as CT scanners, or applications in very high volume like digital cameras.