IGNORED

AtGames 2018 speculation thread

Hopefully the ones that were made for the Flashback 9 will work better with no jitter.

And minimal latency as well, which is what killed them for most of the paddle games on the earlier Flashbacks.

But I also see people buying the wireless paddles and being upset when they find out they don't work with the Flashback 9.

Edited by FifthPlayer
  • Like 1

I may have missed this, but has there been an announcement yet of the game list for the model that contains the largest amount of games, including Pitfall II?

I submitted the draft press releases for an all 2018 Atari hardware press release, as well as for an all 2018 Atari software press release. Once those hit, the game lists and other details are all fair game. Of course, if you just want to know what has the most games and Pitfall II, it's the Atari Flashback 9 Gold (130 games).

• Like 6

Thanks for the info, Bill. That is helpful. I may not purchase that model right away as I believe it will be the most expensive, but hopefully it will be around a few months after release on store shelves (so as to avoid the secondary prices). Nevertheless, it is interesting to know about the product.

Thanks for the info, Bill. That is helpful. I may not purchase that model right away as I believe it will be the most expensive, but hopefully it will be around a few months after release on store shelves (so as to avoid the secondary prices). Nevertheless, it is interesting to know about the product.

Our announced (so far) products retail for $19.99 - $69.99 this year, so you can guess where the 9 Gold sits. Of course, there are always promotions during the holiday season. I'll be posting about several as they're taking place on the official social media accounts.

• Like 5

Any chance of the audio in the Legends Flashback console being improved before it hits retail? From what little is available right now, this appears to be the only major issue with what otherwise looks like a nice plug and play system. Would be great to see it addressed.

Just the Data East games alone cost $10 a pop on modern consoles, and you're stuck with an ugly blur filter no matter what display option you select since Flying Tiger Development doesn't understand their niche market that's downloading these classics. Yet many of those same games and several others that likely will be joining the Johnny Turbo Arcade line on PS4/XB1/NS in the near future, are included here.

Also a bit surprised just now to see Heavy Barrel in the game list. Unlike with most of these games, I actually hope it's the NES port since I can't imagine the LS-30 equipped arcade version playing well with a Genesis style gamepad. Really needs two analog sticks to do it any sort of justice.

Edited by Atariboy

Hi! new poster here. I registered because i was curious of a few things that maybe Bill could help clarify.

will the 2018 version of the sega flashback still be released? A lot of sites on the internet keep saying that the megadrive mini was the iteration that was cancelled and that they are doing their own inhouse version which includes a genesis iteration stateside. I was just curious. Also i read the press release of the Arcade flashback boom! is that supposed to be out in stores now? I believe it said starting october 1st. I have seen no retailers carrying that in CA yet.

Thanks in advance.

Also i read the press release of the Arcade flashback boom! is that supposed to be out in stores now? I believe it said starting october 1st. I have seen no retailers carrying that in CA yet.

Thanks in advance.

If you are referring to the Blast! line of products, Oct. 1st first was correct. However, I think that's when AtGames shipped them to retailers...not when retailers started selling them.

All announced products so far (Blast! series and Legends Flashback) had an October 1 release date, but they'll be rolling out to stores throughout this month, so availability may vary.

In terms of a response to the Sega thing, they're handling all PR and announcements, so there's nothing I can add at this time.

• Like 1

For Bill, any hints as to when we might learn a little more about or see pictures of this year's Atari Flashback Portable?

There will just be a "soft" announcement, most likely next week. We're not really promoting any of the updates to the legacy products. Our main focus is on the completely new stuff, including the already announced Blast! series and Legends console. We also have a major announcement coming soon about a really cool new product(s). Fortunately, unlike the Blast! and Legends, there don't appear to be any leaks around it yet.

• Like 6

There will just be a "soft" announcement, most likely next week. We're not really promoting any of the updates to the legacy products. Our main focus is on the completely new stuff, including the already announced Blast! series and Legends console. We also have a major announcement coming soon about a really cool new product(s). Fortunately, unlike the Blast! and Legends, there don't appear to be any leaks around it yet.

Thank you for the fast reply Bill! I'll be looking forward to seeing this year's Atari Flashback Portable, since I think I'll finally be picking one up this holiday season. I'll be curious to see what the new major announcement is too! :)

• Like 1

... Our main focus is on the completely new stuff, including the already announced Blast! series and Legends console. We also have a major announcement coming soon about a really cool new product(s). Fortunately, unlike the Blast! and Legends, there don't appear to be any leaks around it yet.

Wow Bill you are such a tease! No seriously this is great news and thanks for sharing. I'm looking forward to hearing about the new AtGames products. Hopefully it's not just the digital Atari Flashback on the Switch, but I'm guessing AtGames may have contributed otherwise it would not have been named "Atari Flashback" for the Switch.

Edited by thetick1

Wow Bill you are such a tease! No seriously this is great news and thanks for sharing. I'm looking forward to hearing about the new AtGames products. Hopefully it's not just the digital Atari Flashback on the Switch, but I'm guessing AtGames may have contributed otherwise it would not have been named "Atari Flashback" for the Switch.

No, it's not the new Atari Flashback Classics stuff (all that has actually been announced). Those are our products in partnership with Atari. We do the physical publishing and Atari does the digital.

• Like 1

The Vita version titled Atari Flashback Classics hasn't been announced yet, has it? All we have so far is a trophy list popping up at the usual sites.

https://www.truetrophies.com/game/Atari-Flashback-Classics/trophies

I assume this is real rather than a mistake since the trophy lineup doesn't match any of the three volumes on the PS4. It shows 28 trophies and the lineup is composed of the usual platinum for earning 27 trophies, 10 trophies lifted from Volume 1, 12 lifted from Volume 2, and 5 from Volume 3.

If sites were making a mistake, I don't know how a unique trophy list got attached to it. I would expect to see volume 3's trophy list be duplicated instead.

Edit: ESRB also reviewed it for the Vita. It's listed together with the Switch version, so I assume like the Switch version, all 150 games are included rather than just a selection taken from all three volumes.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

The Vita version titled Atari Flashback Classics hasn't been announced yet, has it? All we have so far is a trophy list popping up at the usual sites.

https://www.truetrophies.com/game/Atari-Flashback-Classics/trophies

I assume this is real rather than a mistake since the trophy lineup doesn't match any of the three volumes on the PS4. It shows 28 trophies and the lineup is composed of the usual platinum for earning 27 trophies, 10 trophies lifted from Volume 1, 12 lifted from Volume 2, and 5 from Volume 3.

If sites were making a mistake, I don't know how a unique trophy list got attached to it. I would expect to see volume 3's trophy list be duplicated instead.

Edit: ESRB also reviewed it for the Vita. It's listed together with the Switch version, so I assume like the Switch version, all 150 games are included rather than just a selection taken from all three volumes.

As I mentioned in the other thread, I'm not aware of a Vita version, and I didn't mention it in the upcoming press release. It would seem odd to release a Vita version considering that system is unfortunately on its way out. It was never on the radar when deciding what systems were viable to release these things on. My not knowing doesn't mean it's not coming, though.

• Like 3

In terms of a response to the Sega thing, they're handling all PR and announcements, so there's nothing I can add at this time.

So the Sega unit that went through the FCC and has a manual posted on their site in August is totally dead (i.e. not coming out at all)?

Edited by derFunkenstein