IGNORED

AtGames 2018 speculation thread

Why do you say that?

I can understand the statement. I don't think there's been any emulation box that simply doesn't dump the cartridge and run it as a ROM. In that case, you really are better off in almost all cases with just running the ROM rather than going through the ritual of putting in a cartridge first. With an FPGA-based system, you kind of get the best of all worlds, but it's no doubt going to be several more years before those are truly at mass market pricing (fortunately they're at enthusiast - us on here - pricing already).

(and logging in with the wrong account has struck again)

Out of curiosity what would be the reason for 3.x Stella vs the 5.x? Wouldn't that also affect Pitfall 2 (which I think was mentioned in the gamelist)? Or can Stella 3 handle that? I just hope to not see the Retron77 debacle hit this machine.

• Like 2

Not sure I agree about FPGA not being at a mass market price. The SuperNT is a boutique item at $190, not made in huge quantities and they well profit on it enough to cover what they need to not just float but grow and pay outside help like kevtris for his cores. When they need more it's a lot of months to run another batch, and they even struck the transparent one from the list. I could only guess how far down the price scale it would get if they did runs of them say at the 100K and up levels. The systems are setup also run with custom firmware to run ROMs straight off the SD card in the rear too. While the SNT only handles SNES, the older costly NES/Mini NT runs multiple cores.

That junky retron5 was like what $160 when it came out, and it dumped carts into memory temporarily and didn't run roms either from the SD slot and it sells all over at local shops and online. I can't see a reason why a non-piece of crap like the SNT couldn't with a real backer behind it for mass pressings of the hardware couldn't match if not likely drop an ok level below that.

Out of curiosity what would be the reason for 3.x Stella vs the 5.x? Wouldn't that also affect Pitfall 2 (which I think was mentioned in the gamelist)? Or can Stella 3 handle that? I just hope to not see the Retron77 debacle hit this machine.

Pitfall II works fine. I can't really get into specifics at this time, I'm just saying that it may not ship with 5.x like some are speculating.

• Like 1

Not sure I agree about FPGA not being at a mass market price. The SuperNT is a boutique item at $190, not made in huge quantities and they well profit on it enough to cover what they need to not just float but grow and pay outside help like kevtris for his cores. When they need more it's a lot of months to run another batch, and they even struck the transparent one from the list. I could only guess how far down the price scale it would get if they did runs of them say at the 100K and up levels. The systems are setup also run with custom firmware to run ROMs straight off the SD card in the rear too. While the SNT only handles SNES, the older costly NES/Mini NT runs multiple cores.

That junky retron5 was like what $160 when it came out, and it dumped carts into memory temporarily and didn't run roms either from the SD slot and it sells all over at local shops and online. I can't see a reason why a non-piece of crap like the SNT couldn't with a real backer behind it for mass pressings of the hardware couldn't match if not likely drop an ok level below that.

You're simply not going to see a sub-$100 FPGA-based system any time soon. We'll likely have to wait at least a few years for something like that to happen. For a big box, mass market product, there's simply no place for something anywhere near or above that price range. It's hard enough getting $80 hardware at retailers like that. They'd much rather have stuff in the $10 - $30 range. In the mean-time, those of us in the know will have to pay in the $200 range for those types of FPGA systems. Not a major deal, especially because for most purposes, and especially mass market purposes, standard emulation boxes are just fine.

• Like 1

If it comes with 3.x there will be a reason for that. And then it definitely will not be upgradable easily.

I'm sure the Retron 77 people are learning that the hard way. It sounds like V5 is in the current FB9 demo units, so there is hope. If At Games is successful in putting out a product that runs on Stella V5 or higher, along with the SD card, it will immediately be a better product than their predecessors based on compatibility alone! I will be a happy camper that I waited patiently instead of buying the first thing that came to market... :grin:

• Like 1

I know most of this is all around atari as it's an atari site, but is there anything new to talk about with the Genesis, especially maybe finally bringing the handheld up to snuff with the console or is it another garbage year for it?

I think Bill said there are going to be some improvements on the handhelds, but not in terms of build quality/screen size or emulation.

I think Bill said there are going to be some improvements on the handhelds, but not in terms of build quality/screen size or emulation.

This is correct. For the handhelds that come out this year, the emulation base is the same, but there are other feature improvements and tweaks. Otherwise, it's the same basic handhelds. Maybe next year will have complete redesigns.

I said it last year and then early on in the year before that. I can wait another year it seems.

The firecore is 100% unacceptable. :(

Aww, it's better than that ... if you turn the sound off. ;)

I'm with you, I want the Genesis portable to improve, too. I thought it was the mutt's nuts when I first got it back in 2008 or so. I agree, it should be closer to perfect by now. At least it's cheap, and you can add more games via SDcard.

• Like 1

I know that's not the detailed answer you're looking for, maybe a developer would care to comment.

Without some sort of viable real-time access, cart compatibility will always be limited. Just look at the Polymega.

I feel like we're getting awfully close to Christmas shopping season to be waiting for details on the 2018 AtGames lineup. Hopefully the announcening is coming soon. I'm floored that there hasn't at least been a LITTLE official talk about the Mega Drive Mini. It was announced five months ago now.

Edited by derFunkenstein