IGNORED

AtGames 2018 speculation thread

My reviews are up for the Flashback 9, Bandai Namco Blast, and Flashback Legends. All have their strengths and weaknesses, but liked the Flashback 9 this year.

Nice reviews... I agree also not including an HDMI connector is a terrible idea. Christmas morning will be the mad scramble of what to disconnect to play these! I think I I'll be getting the Flashback 9 Gold with additional paddles and picking up some extra HDMI cables.

Edited by thetick1
  • Like 1

I had issues with the Retrobit supercade as well. Funny thing is that that unit took av cables as well. If I used the CRT hookups, the sound issues went away.

Did you try to see what can be put on that SD slot?

Or were the terms of the review so that so you simply couldn't do it or are not allowed to talk about it?

If the audio issues are ironed out before release or with a subsequent firmware update or sequel in 2019, I'm very interested. I otherwise liked what I saw with the Legends Flashback system, even though the lack of a HDMI cable was a bit bizarre.

Edited by Atariboy

Nice reviews... I agree also not including an HDMI connector is a terrible idea. Christmas morning will be the mad scramble of what to disconnect to play these! I think I I'll be getting the Flashback 9 Gold with additional paddles and picking up some extra HDMI cables.

..or not playing it at all until you run out to bigbox and get a cable. The time and gas money and cost of the cable all add to the cost of the unit. So figure add anywhere between $10 and $100 extra.

Did you try to see what can be put on that SD slot?

Or were the terms of the review so that so you simply couldn't do it or are not allowed to talk about it?

I let them know about the audio issue and hopefully a fix can be made. I was told things about the super retrocade that never happened(indirectly from a distributor) so I dont want to say things will happen if they do not happen. I did not try much other than literally taking the SD card out of my super retrocade and trying it on the legends device hoping that it would be that easy to recognize games on the SD card. Sadly nothing happened.

The Flashback 9 won't have wireless controllers? I thought I saw pics of wireless paddles in this thread. The FB 9 will be a budget-conscious unit without wireless joysticks? Did I miss something? Or is the FB 9 Gold going to still have wireless?

The Atari Flashback 9 Gold manual shows wireless controllers on the FCC site, so I assume it's exclusive to that model. What was reviewed by John was the standard Atari Flashback 9.

https://fccid.io/2AMTQ3650ATARI/Users-Manual/User-manual-3952666

What's unclear is if these support last year's wireless joysticks, which would allow someone to repurpose those on this year's standard Atari Flashback 9.

Much like the paddles (The manual I just linked to says original paddles are supported for instance, which obviously isn't the case), I believe we've heard two conflicting things in regard to support for last year's wireless controllers on this year's stillborn Sega Genesis Flashback HD 2 and the upcoming Atari Flashback 9.

Edited by Atariboy

What's unclear is if these support last year's wireless joysticks, which would allow someone to repurpose those on this year's standard Atari Flashback 9.

I asked about this, and Bill said that they are not compatible. So, both the wireless joysticks and (wired) paddles are exclusive to the FB9, with earlier iterations not working.

Standard wired joysticks should work.

Also, the FB9 joysticks are not designed to work with anything other than the FB9. That seems a waste, really, as it just reduces the perceived value of the product: and AtGames could sell more joysticks to people wishing to use other emulators.

Edited by boggis the cat

Atgames is making one of their blast units a wireless Pong Paddle flashback. I want to know if you can use these same paddles for the FB9. As for exclusive controllers for a particular model, I have have never been a big fan. I do believe that Stella 3.9X was used, but am not 100 percent sure.

The Flashback 9 won't have wireless controllers? I thought I saw pics of wireless paddles in this thread. The FB 9 will be a budget-conscious unit without wireless joysticks? Did I miss something? Or is the FB 9 Gold going to still have wireless?

The FB Gold has wireless controllers and more games.

Atgames is making one of their blast units a wireless Pong Paddle flashback. I want to know if you can use these same paddles for the FB9. As for exclusive controllers for a particular model, I have have never been a big fan. I do believe that Stella 3.9X was used, but am not 100 percent sure.

Only the new wired paddles work with the FB 9 series.

Yes, it's Stella 3.x on the FB 9 series and our usual in-house emulator on the Blast! series.

SD card functionality on all systems can only be unlocked with a different firmware. I'm sure it will be made available one way or another soon after release.

• Like 1

I'm curious what the paddles alone will sell for. Are they alone going to be the same price as a blast unit or maybe more? I almost wonder if they'd prefer you buy a flashback 9 and the blast pong unit for the paddle games. Of course the pong unit doesn't include kaboom for some inexplicable reason but it's on the 9.

The "explicable" reason is that the Blast! vol. 3 is just Atari-published games. Licensing can be a PITA with this stuff.

• Like 2

Only the new wired paddles work with the FB 9 series.

Yes, it's Stella 3.x on the FB 9 series and our usual in-house emulator on the Blast! series.

SD card functionality on all systems can only be unlocked with a different firmware. I'm sure it will be made available one way or another soon after release.

Thanks for the clarification. Please let us know about the updated firmware availability.

I asked about this, and Bill said that they are not compatible. So, both the wireless joysticks and (wired) paddles are exclusive to the FB9, with earlier iterations not working.

Standard wired joysticks should work.

Also, the FB9 joysticks are not designed to work with anything other than the FB9. That seems a waste, really, as it just reduces the perceived value of the product: and AtGames could sell more joysticks to people wishing to use other emulators.

The wired joystick situation is unchanged. They work both ways. It's just the paddles that are different. Only FB 9 series wired paddles work on the FB 9 series. There are no wireless paddles.

I don't know yet if FB 9 Gold wireless joysticks work on the FB 8 series or vice versa. Assume not for now.

I can't argue with this. It will definitely frustrate some people, but the decision was made to provide a better experience despite the pain point. I would have likely gone in a different direction, but the decision was not up to me.

The higher frustration point will be if the new paddles are "out of stock" :) As long as enough are made available, I will go with whatever makes Kaboom playable...

• Like 1