IGNORED

Mame - Returning player question.

Villordsutch

Hello all,

I'm returning to MAME after a longtime away and I'm having issues straight away. I know it's not MAME, it's clearly me, so I'd appreciate any help I can get in getting this up and running.

If I select a highlighted title from a working machine I get the message.

"The Selected Machine is missing or more required ROM or CHD images. Please Select a different machine."

No matter which game I pick.

I can't see any option to fix this and I'm looking to get some Neo-Geo titles up and running.

Can anyone possibly give me some pointers?

Thank you,

What version of mame and what game/machine are you running exactly? What operating system?

If using Windows 64-bit I recommend Mameui64. It will tell you exactly what files are missing.

http://www.mameui.info/

In general get the latest Mame and the latest rom set you can get; they do not have to match. If a machine happens to not run you can download the few missing files as needed.

Here you can find a 185 set. CHDs are for newer game/machines.

https://archive.org/details/MAME_0.185_ROMs_split

https://archive.org/details/MAME_0.185_CHDs_Merged

Edited by mr_me
  • Like 1

I downloaded the latest version of MAME64 so this could be the reason why I'm getting said messages. I'm running Win 10 (64bit) and my final want is to play some Neo-Geo titles. It's been so long since I used Mame I can't remember A from B about it.

As I was more into "downloading" roms etc. in the past I remember it all being a breeze, but I'm looking it now and scratching my head.

I'm now coming from ZX81, ZX Spectrum, NES emlators where I open the emulator and point at the location of the rom and I'm away. I've set to download the Mameui should I also grab the TV/PLAY front end too?

Agreed MAME is a hot mess, and if you wish to play just Neo-Geo games there's far less harassing and asinine ways to handle it like FInal Burn Alpha. I ran into your same pile of problems, and it was a situation where I kept digging and couldn't find a set, unless I wanted to down a big freaking dozens of GB in size total rom package to fish out like 200-250MB of Neo Geo games which was just stupid. I knew I had working sets from where I got my files from so I grabbed FBA and every single one loaded up correctly, fast, no harassment, and they just worked and accurately. Ignore MAME unless you really want to get into the weeds of many systems over many years/decades.

Retroarch was the final straw for me going with FBA. That damn thing refused to read multiple sets of ROMs I had confirmed and know to work because they stick to the bizarre setup that MAME uses. It's a great tool in general, specifically with single rom file emulation modules, but it's an evil bitch when it comes to arcade stuff unless you keep a very large and bloated rotating wheel of changes ROM set from MAME around.

There are a few different MAME cores you can load into RetroArch. I like the one-click installation/update process.

You can load FBA's emulator core into it as well. It is RetroArch's preferred core for running Neo Geo games.

MAME emulates so much different hardware, it's amazing that it works at all. The single-system emulators always work, because console hardware is defined and locked in.

Many years ago, I worked hard to get myself a complete, working (where applicable) set, with art and all the extras.

When I revisited it years ago, and tried updating, I had all kinds of issues, including the window sometimes minimizing, crashing, or whatever. I was just thinking about re-updating in the near future.

Point is, thanks for the thread and the info posted. It'll be helpful once I start!

• 1 year later...