IGNORED

Does anybody else rock a CRT?

I still occasionally use a Sony Trinitron 19" TV and a Sony Trinitron 32" TV for retro gaming mostly because those couldn't be auctioned off/given away. I use a Commodore 1084S CRT-based monitor for most of my remaining retro computers, save for an Apple II, which has an Apple CRT color monitor. I find an XRGB-mini handy for using older systems on more modern displays.

Otherwise, for TV and movies, I obviously use modern TVs. Our main family room for instance has a really nice 75" LG 4K HDR Dolby Vision set with a great Bose surround sound system that I'm quite happy with.

I rescued a small CRT from my neighbor's trash and hooked up a Flashback to it for giggles. Yup, that's how I remember playing those old games. I prefer them on my big-ol' plasma instead.

Your big woody reminds me of my parents' set, though. I wonder if we'll ever again see convergence of electronics and furniture? Cars count, I suppose.

Sure do.

IMG_0720.jpg

I cut holes in the matching stand and side mounted the AV switches and power strips.

IMG_0715.jpg

IMG_0716.jpg

I also have a 20 inch WEGA in the workshop, along with a couple 13 inchers and an RGB TV/monitor. All work, all free at the dump.

Your CRT is very nice....I love those big console style ones in wood cases. When TVs were furniture!

• Like 6

This is one of those communities where it might be easier to ask who doesn't rock a CRT.

Including TV's, computer monitors, and the Vectrex, I have 3 in daily/weekly use, 3 more in near-regular use, and 4 more in reserve as replacements and/or sentimental usage. Lightgun usage counts big, too. There's also the fullscreen format to consider- you can't get newer displays in 4:3 or 16:10 ratios.

• Like 6

I have (2) KD-27FS170 and (1) KV-32FV300. These are really good TV's. There is a KV-32FV310 which has an extra out but people complain it has very noticeable flicker.

I as well have another 19" or so Philips I think, but that will be gone soon as I find a free 20" Trinitron which I may have. I tried to nab a 14" Trinitron because I wanted my 32" and 27" to have a baby but the person said they would rather recycle it than give it to me for free LOL. They are asking $25 but I don't pay for these TV's, they are given away for free way too much in m area for me to pay.

• Like 2

Yup. Not into lag, latency, funky refresh rates or pixelation, so CRT's are all I use for classic gaming. ;)

This!

One neat thing about some of the later, post-2000 CRTs is that some do have Component inputs, and some even have HDMI that can do beautiful 720p/1080i. Only the newer 4K/OLED sets have comparable image quality, particularly when it comes to deep blacks.

• Like 1

Yes, I still have one.

NM2GMLWl.jpg

It's a Samsung 25" I bought in the late 90's. It's alright, but it only has RF and Composite A/V inputs, so some consoles look muddy. It really reaches its limit on PS2/Xbox/GC games. They definitely looked a lot better on my parents' old Sony Trinitron 32" with S-Video and Component R/G/B.

I've honestly been thinking about replacing it with the 42" Panasonic 1080p plasma from my living room when I upgrade that TV in the near future, if it fits in there. I have a small Apex 13" that could serve for light gun and early console stuff when needed.

• Like 4

All I have is low grade consumer CRTs.. but I have 5 of them. Three 14" and two 30"(?). They are pretty much only used for games.

Fact is it's hard to find space for them when each room's "main" tv is obviously a modern set. So they get relegated off to the sides, like on my office desk among the clutter.

L3hZJ9T.jpg

• Like 3