IGNORED

Does anybody else rock a CRT?

Yep of course!! Here's my CRT setup...

IMAG0052.jpg

...and I got my whole CRT setup hooked up to one A/V switchbox so I can play these multiple systems in my collection instantly without having to change the cables in the back! :) Pics of the switchbox coming soon lol.

IMAG0126.jpg

I hardly rock the flatscreen when gaming.

• Like 2

Well, I currently own:

1x 27" color (2002 or 2003; my main gameroom TV)

1x 23"(?) flat CRT (early 2000s)

4x 13" color TVs (1987, 1993, 2003, and 200X)

3x 13" B/W TVs (all early '80s...but none really work anymore, I should just get rid of them one of these days)

1x 5" color portable (mid '80s...and with composite I/O even!)

1x 5" B/W portable

And then dedicated monitors:

1x Amdek Color-1

1x Commodore 1802 (matches C64 and Plus/4)

1x Magnavox Computer Monitor 80 (amber)

1x Apple Monitor /// (matches Apple II+)

1x Apple Monitor II (matches Apple IIe)

1x Apple color monitor (matches Apple //e, //c, IIe Platinum)

1x Apple Monitor //c (matches Apple //c)

1x Apple IIGS RGB (but that's IIGS only, so, eh)

1x Texas Instruments Color Monitor (matches TI99/4a)

1x Dell or something or other VGA monitor

Before you call me a hoarder, I keep many of these to use at Midwest Gaming Classic, where CRTs are both in increasingly short supply due to swelling numbers of exhibitors every year, and a major hassle to lug out of show storage. :P

Edited by BassGuitari
  • Like 3

A lot of thrifts stopped selling CRTs, so I don't have the perfect setup yet, but my current TV is fine. Has component and s-video input, so that's nice, but it could use a recap. I also feel like maybe it's almost too big, but maybe I'm just too accustomed to squinting at my tiny old Magnavox.

post-10621-0-14033900-1523178003.jpg

post-10621-0-65705500-1523178015.jpg

Not pictured, but I've got it hooked up to a nice set of PA speakers B)

• Like 2

Ok here are a few pics of my TV's. The first will be my KV-32FV300 which is on a stand I grabbed for $30 but it is in like new condition. The stand I believe will fit the 2nd picture 27" TV better which is my KD-27FS170. Soon as it warms up here I will be cutting that nice circle black plywood and building a stand. Once the stand is built the 32" will go on that stand and the 27" will take over the stand the 32" is currently on.

post-25078-0-67701300-1523190119_thumb.jpg

post-25078-0-21938800-1523190128_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Little 13" crt/dvd combo for my xegs and c64

Sanyo 27"(ish) TV for my consoles and Flashback units.

I've had both forever and they keep chugging.

The only modern TV we have is a 32" 720p Olevia, which we roll out on Sundays. The Wii (my most modern console) is hooked up to that, but it rarely gets used.

Edited by BydoEmpire

Is that a custom/Frankenstein N64? Or some limited or special edition that came out in Japan or something? (Admittedly, I'm not especially well-versed in the Nintendo 64.)

It's actually a limited edition N64, one of the if not the rarist ones. It's called the Daiei Hawks N64. There are often fakes, but it's easy to tell as the fakes use a "smoke" funtastic N64 as the base color, where as this system is much more of a true "black" color (still clear). Took me forever to find one naturally by going to game stores (still is the only one I've found). It came without a matching controller, which then took me another eternity to find naturally. Haha

I love the setup you have there.

Thanks! I had limited space, so I organized it the best I could. Behind it is a bookshelf with all sorts of gaming related things. I'll take a pic of that sometime. Even my choice of PC was done purposely to fit in the space I had. It's not quite done as the AES still needs it's Neo SD flash cart to come in the mail, and the PC Engine still needs its SD System 3 to come in the mail, but it's nearly there. Oh, and my consolized Game Gear is almost done, so that'll have to find a spot in here somehow.

But I found this tv off Craigslist listed as "color tv" for 10 dollars. Haven't seen the model since. Color is really vibrant, and it's a good size, not being too big like many CRTs you find these days.

• Like 2

Finally got a TV stand for my Trinitron, everything's working great.

Unfortunately - the Trinitron has a minor scratch. You can't notice it 98% of the time, but my mind is utterly fixated on it. I've heard that the best you can do for CRT scratches is the filler stuff from eyeglass repair kits. Anybody have any experience with that?

Finally got a TV stand for my Trinitron, everything's working great.

Unfortunately - the Trinitron has a minor scratch. You can't notice it 98% of the time, but my mind is utterly fixated on it. I've heard that the best you can do for CRT scratches is the filler stuff from eyeglass repair kits. Anybody have any experience with that?

I'd suggest (though have not needed to try) either a lens repair kid for glasses or maybe jeweller's rouge. I'd test it though in a corner to make sure it's ok.

I'll keep on the Animal Forest theme with my screenshots.

It was just something I had handy :) If I was gonna take a new photo, I'd get one of the 240p testing suite, to better show the geometry distortion.

Edited by Asaki
  • Like 1

Man, some of these setups look so cluttered. Like you're gaming in a storage locker. How do you handle it, I'd lose it. :o

Mine's tucked away in the basement where it can't cause the wife any distress :) Our living room has the wall-mounted 4K LCD and nice organization.

Like a few others here, I got hold of a Sony WEGA KD-27FS170. I wanted this one because it was the final gasp (2006) of the SD Trinitrons, before they moved to HD at which point the old light guns and 3D glasses will no longer work. This line used the same tubes that the HD models did, but displayed 480i max at 60Hz, so those items will still work. It's also the first line of Sony's to have an ATSC tuner stock. Sure, not really a big deal, but if I'm gaming and want to take a quick peak at the news or local sports, having some OTA access is nice without needed to waste an input on an external tuner. Another pro is that max power consumption is 130W, whereas the prior 27" Trinitrons could be 100 over that. It's also much lighter. Cons however are that the display is not quite as vibrant as the older ones, and the speakers stink. Worse, there's no audio output jacks! My workaround is that I'm feeding all component (480i/240p) based inputs into an old Pelican System Selector Pro anyway, and that device has analog audio output for my mini-stereo sys. The composite/RF systems I just pass into the TV. The TV speakers are fine for Atari, Coleco, INTV, C64, etc. I've posted these before, but I also obtained an IKEA unit 2nd-hand pretty cheap, and have it in there. Softmodded PS2 and Xbox are hooked up permanently, while I just rotate my other 8/16/32/64/128-bit systems in and out on demand. I have the Gamecube Component and HD Retrovision cables (Sega and Nintendo), which I can use for nearly all of those systems (Genesis, 32X, Master System, NES, SNES, N64, TG-16, PS1) also hooked up permanently. Just waiting patiently on HDR's Dreamcast cables!

post-14545-0-67591200-1513012342_thumb.jpg
post-14545-0-42866300-1513012338_thumb.jpg
post-14545-0-51796700-1513012330_thumb.jpg
post-14545-0-15628800-1513012324_thumb.jpg

Speaking of CRT TV's and great finds. A guy I sold a Gameboy and Dreamcast too a few months back just listed his KD-36FS170 for free!!! It is the SD model and all. Just like my 27" but in souped up 36". I sadly can't get it, it is too big and I already have too many. I am however having my buddy get it. He has been wanting a good one for awhile. Hopefully he gets to it. I doubt there is a huge line up in the area for a 36" beast like this.

Yep! I <3 my Sony KV-20FS120 WEGA Trinitron.

O7G714v.jpg

These days your options for retro gaming are pretty much (A). Get a good quality CRT TV for free off Craigslist and make some space for it. -or- (B). Spend $400 on a Framemeister XRGB-Mini and $50 to $100 per console you own to mod them all to output higher quality video signals that the Framemeister can use to make them look good on a modern TV. Personally I chose the free option.

These days your options for retro gaming are pretty much (A). Get a good quality CRT TV for free off Craigslist and make some space for it. -or- (B). Spend $400 on a Framemeister XRGB-Mini and $50 to $100 per console you own to mod them all to output higher quality video signals that the Framemeister can use to make them look good on a modern TV. Personally I chose the free option.

To be fair to the Framemeister option, all you really need is S-VIDEO as a minimum for the picture to look fantastic on it. It's true that it can't do much with a composite signal, but you also don't really lose much. Frankly, I'm in the market for a second Framemeister before that option is no longer available. I'd consider that more future proof than worrying about CRTs staying healthy. If my CRTs go, I really don't think I'll be replacing them. With that said, if my Commodore 1084S monitor goes, I will likely have to replace it with the same thing somehow since that's the only way I can hook up the RGB cables from the C-128DCR and CoCo 3. Otherwise, everything is served just fine via the Framemeister, including the PAL systems I have (which my regular CRT TVs and Commodore 1084S can't handle).