IGNORED

Does anybody else rock a CRT?

Like a few others here, I got hold of a Sony WEGA KD-27FS170. I wanted this one because it was the final gasp (2006) of the SD Trinitrons.It's also the first line of Sony's to have an ATSC tuner stock. Sure, not really a big deal, but if I'm gaming and want to take a quick peak at the news or local sports, having some OTA access is nice without needed to waste an input on an external tuner.

Cons however are that the display is not quite as vibrant as the older ones, and the speakers stink. Worse, there's no audio output jacks!

Love the KD series, that tuner really sweet picking up broadcast HD channels with a flat antennae.

True on the audio, not near as good as the earlier WEGA series that include a third surround speaker woofer inside. The on board speakers are not bad, but do not cut it when watching a movie or getting into the aura of a game. I performed a simple mod on mine adding in low level output jacks. On board speakers always on, kick up the stereo for the simulated surround sound. :D

Television Mods - Audio Out - HD Antenna http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1005514#p1005514

A couple of pics, one from a while ago when it was tidy... One from today as it isn't.

I used to run a scaler then went back to CRT and haven't looked back. I've been soaking up all the CRTs that people have been binning or have had for sale for buttons and I've currently got loads of them. The 15" Commodore monitor normally lives with my other computers (along with the Amiga, ST and Spectrum), but I've got a 19" VGA CRT sat there currently while I build a retro PentiumII/Voodoo3 PC on that desk. Which is also chaos because it's WAY too big to fit there. But, it was free, and it's a really sweet monitor. Which is really the crux of the problem. I find it really hard to say no to CRTs that are heading for the bin when I know I'll never be able to get any more when they're gone. A friend of mine's loft has at least 2 more CRTs that I've got up there (they won't go in mine), and he's got several himself that were surplus ones of mine.

post-49282-0-98218200-1523346253_thumb.jpg

post-49282-0-43567800-1523346493_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

They're not really equivalent, more complementary. Each does things the other doesn't.

I have both, the Framemeister is currently boxed up.

If you have need for svideo and below, the retrotink 2x is in the works.

http://www.retrotink.com/#News

At this point, the only good use case for the Framemeister I can think of is if you love PSP over it's component cables and want to really blow the image up, or if you're hard set on 7X super gameboy.

Edited by keepdreamin

I have both, the Framemeister is currently boxed up.

If you have need for svideo and below, the retrotink 2x is in the works.

http://www.retrotink.com/#News

At this point, the only good use case for the Framemeister I can think of is if you love PSP over it's component cables and want to really blow the image up, or if you're hard set on 7X super gameboy.

The RetroTINK 2X is in the works, but not available, and it appears rather limited versus what the Framemeister does. For the vintage computers I use, there's no substitute at this time for the Framemeister. Composite and S-VIDEO are still important. The only negative with the Framemeister in my experience - and I've used it with a ton of different systems using every input type - is the price.

I have a small variety of Apple II monitors from the period. Apple branded and others like Amdek and Sanyo. I don't really use them much, but I keep them for completeness of the collection.

I also have a stash of 1084 and 1702 units that I'll eventually have to downsize to 2 of each I think.

Then I have a CrystalScan (gateway brand) that goes with my 486.

The RetroTINK 2X is in the works, but not available, and it appears rather limited versus what the Framemeister does. For the vintage computers I use, there's no substitute at this time for the Framemeister. Composite and S-VIDEO are still important. The only negative with the Framemeister in my experience - and I've used it with a ton of different systems using every input type - is the price.

It would be totally awesome if somebody (hinthint) gave a summary of the difference/functionality of RetroTINK, RetroTINK 2X, Framemeister, OSSC, etc. Because I already know all of it, naturally, but for the other people. You know.

It would be totally awesome if somebody (hinthint) gave a summary of the difference/functionality of RetroTINK, RetroTINK 2X, Framemeister, OSSC, etc. Because I already know all of it, naturally, but for the other people. You know.

In the simplest terms they all take analog connections and make them HDMI/DVI compatible, often with enhancements (scanlines, line doubling, etc.), and far better than those cheap single connection boxes you might find on Amazon or eBay. Nothing can really work magic with a composite signal, but S-VIDEO and higher can look amazing. Summary (if my memory fails me on any of this, I'll make the edit):
Framemeister:
Inputs: Composite, S-VIDEO, Component, RGB (including Jap./Euro SCART), HDMI
Outputs: HDMI (or DVI) up to 1080p
(it has handled any North American, Asian, and European system I've thrown at it)
Cons: High price and no longer in production
RetroTINK 2x:
Inputs: Composite, S-VIDEO, Component
Outputs: HDMI (or DVI) up to 480p
Cons: Not out yet
OSSC:
Inputs: SCART, Component, VGA
Outputs: HDMI (or DVI) up to 480p (can scale higher to a maximum of 1080p depending upon input resolution)
Cons: No Composite or S-Video

OSSC:

Inputs: SCART, Component, VGA

Outputs: HDMI (or DVI) up to 480p

Cons: No Composite or S-Video

This isn't correct. The OSSC can take 240P content to 3x (720P), 4X (960P), and 5X (1080P)

480P can be doubled to 960. (IE Dreamcast)

No framebuffer, no lag. Cleaner signal than framemeister. Framemeister has background noise and framebuffer. A Frame and 1/2 of lag to all content. Framemeister has better deinterlacing, but OSSC can pass thru interlaced content and let TV handle it.

This isn't correct. The OSSC can take 240P content to 3x (720P), 4X (960P), and 5X (1080P)

480P can be doubled to 960. (IE Dreamcast)

No framebuffer, no lag. Cleaner signal than framemeister. Framemeister has background noise and framebuffer. A Frame and 1/2 of lag to all content. Framemeister has better deinterlacing, but OSSC can pass thru interlaced content and let TV handle it.

I edited my quick entry to say "(can scale higher to a maximum of 1080p depending upon input resolution)". Thanks.

How do these upscaling devices work with non-square pixels? Like the ever fun and quirky 256x224 of the SNES?

Thanks for that, now this thread about using a CRT is going to turn into another thread about devices used on newer TV's to accomplish what a CRT already does on it's own.

• Like 1

Thanks for that, now this thread about using a CRT is going to turn into another thread about devices used on newer TV's to accomplish what a CRT already does on it's own.

Well, considering threads about upscalers usually turn into people chiming "just get a CRT", I don't see anything unusual here. Seems fair.

Edited by keepdreamin
  • Like 1

I use a CRT console tv from 87 for tv , movies and retro video games. Does anybody else rock the cathode ray tube? Pics of your tv would be cool to see, ill post a pic or two of mine.

Really wish I had room for an old console style tv. Really love those things. Yours is a great example.

• Like 1

Man, just reading about the facf that CRTs are eventually going to be gone for good gives me anxiety, lol! I luckily found a local tech whose business model includes CRT refurbishing, along with console repairs too. So my Trinitron will be going in for a tune up shortly. Some may say its fighting the inevitable, but until the tech of something like the Framemeister comes down in cost, I will stick with my old sets.

• Like 2

I need one... in a bad way.

I still have CRTs in my All-in-ones, but I dont have one for my consoles... I had a monster of a beast for years, but left it st the house last time I moved because I simply didnt want to move it, and the folks who bought our house didnt mind.

Now Im in the market and just recently discovered that Goodwill no longer accepts them. Eagerly awaiting the start of yard-sale season here in Central Wisconsin.

post-24953-0-51499400-1523454073_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Opry99er
  • Like 2

Here's my main gaming (and video tape yes, VHS & Beta) set-up:

It's a 1999 Home Theater Premier 32" RCA floor model. Awesome picture and great stereo sound.

post-9874-0-82428000-1523452616_thumb.jpg

Sorry I don't play much modern games. They just aren't my thing. I do have a wii in that floor model, but that's mainly for my youngest daughter. Yes, I do own a modern-ish flat panel (46" LED Samsung 1080p), but that is not in my basement. The basement is basically my hobby room.

I actually own six other CRT TV's ranging from 27"(JVC) down to 12"(Sony).

CRT's have never left my house. For that reason I never looked at CRT's as a pain because they are heavy/bulky. I just see them as TV's (nature of the beast sort of thing).

• Like 2