IGNORED

Does anybody else rock a CRT?

Now Im in the market and just recently discovered that Goodwill no longer accepts them. Eagerly awaiting the start of yard-sale season here in Central Wisconsin.

That's another problem with CRTs, obviously. They're getting difficult to even give away, and you can't donate them either. Many dumps/recycling centers will also start to refuse them. I don't know what the recourse will be eventually. Probably paying a service. Hopefully the two old TVs and two old monitors I still have left last me another 40 years or so, although I don't know what could be done with them at that point.

Sorry I don't play much modern games. They just aren't my thing. I do have a wii in that floor model, but that's mainly for my youngest daughter. Yes, I do own a modern-ish flat panel (46" LED Samsung 1080p), but that is not in my basement. The basement is basically my hobby room.

The Wii is the last of the non-plug and play consoles still optimized for use on old non-HDTVs, so that's probably a good choice for you.

In terms of plug and plays, this is probably the last year (late 2018) AtGames will release any systems without HDMI connections. I imagine within a couple more years at best, all of the other plug and plays will follow suit and drop the legacy composite connections as well. I can't reveal details just yet, but even the sub-$20 price point will be receiving HDMI-based systems this year, so it obviously is now practical in all ways - technological and financial - to drop the legacy connections.

• Like 1

Do they make HDTVs that handle de-interlacing??

This question made me flashback to the early days of HD when I would spend a lot of time comparing the quality of the deinterlacing from my cable STB and upscaling DVD to my HD set, trying to decide if I should send the 480i material as-is to the TV or let the STB do the deinterlacing/upscaling.

That's another problem with CRTs, obviously. They're getting difficult to even give away, and you can't donate them either. Many dumps/recycling centers will also start to refuse them. I don't know what the recourse will be eventually. Probably paying a service. Hopefully the two old TVs and two old monitors I still have left last me another 40 years or so, although I don't know what could be done with them at that point.

If someone works at a business with a sizable enough IT department, they may have contracts for electronics waste recycling. It's worth talking to them to see if they can extend that service to employees. I work at a college and they actually have one day a year when employees can bring in monitors and other old electronics to be hauled off and recycled.

Most waste facilities aren't going to let you haul off items once they're on site. Especially items that are considered hazardous waste. (CRTs have leaded glass)

You're welcome to try. If you do it without getting permission, they could charge you with theft.

The real reason this policy is in place, they don't want to be held liable in case some moron got injured or sick with something they hauled away from the dump

Edited by keepdreamin

Man, you guys have to get out in the country. The only thing at my dump they won't let you take back is the scrap metal, because they get paid for it.

Every dump around here in CT (all small towns) has a "recycling table", because they'd rather someone else take the stuff home home as opposed to it being hauled out to a landfill, because they pay for each load that goes out by weight.

All about the Benjamins.

• Like 2

Around here you have to pay to recycle CRT TV's. Some dumps will not take them and the ones that do they make you pay them a fee. With that said I believe Best Buy and some of my local Recycling centers WILL accept Trinitrons for free, but that is the ONLY CRT they don't charge for.

Keep an eye out because certain days out of the year at least in my area places hold free recycling days. I actually seen we have one this Saturday and here I paid $20 to recycle on old CRT TV last year. It was not a great one and the sound was distorted and low. I tried giving it away for months and finally just gave my dad $20 and told him to take it to his dump, they take them for $20 there.

Around here you have to pay to recycle CRT TV's. Some dumps will not take them and the ones that do they make you pay them a fee. With that said I believe Best Buy and some of my local Recycling centers WILL accept Trinitrons for free, but that is the ONLY CRT they don't charge for.

Keep an eye out because certain days out of the year at least in my area places hold free recycling days. I actually seen we have one this Saturday and here I paid $20 to recycle on old CRT TV last year. It was not a great one and the sound was distorted and low. I tried giving it away for months and finally just gave my dad $20 and told him to take it to his dump, they take them for $20 there.

I just read a craigslist add from a guy offering up to $50 to buy a Sony Trinitron. He only wanted a Sony. Craigslist and Facebook marketplace are still good sites for finding cheap or free CRT's.

Craigslist and Facebook marketplace are still good sites for finding cheap or free CRT's.

Yeah they are free all over right now in my area. I recently nabbed an extra 27" and a 32" and now my buddy is getting a 36". There are tons for free right now (all Trinitrons) but I only grab the really good models. Of course we have people trying to charge to but they are not going to move while you can find 5 others that are free.

Right now people don't realize Trinitrons are better than most and they are happy to have someone lug them away fro them. I totally understand. I gave cement blocks away for free just because it would cost me tons to take them to the junk-yard and I didn't feel like waiting for someone to give me maybe $20. Same with a washer and Dryer I had. I sold them both for like $40 just so I wouldn't have to pay to get rid of them.

Man, you guys have to get out in the country. The only thing at my dump they won't let you take back is the scrap metal, because they get paid for it.

Every dump around here in CT (all small towns) has a "recycling table", because they'd rather someone else take the stuff home home as opposed to it being hauled out to a landfill, because they pay for each load that goes out by weight.

All about the Benjamins.

Well, for those of us who don't live in Mayberry..

My local municipal landfill doesn't have a pickin's table

Here in Canada the recycling center has to take them.

Well, for those of us who don't live in Mayberry..

My local municipal landfill doesn't have a pickin's table

We ain't even gots to lock our barn doors!

I think you can pick well in big cities too, at least some of them...I've seen plenty of small CRTs on trash day out on the curb in Philly. But maybe that wave has passed.

I think you can pick well in big cities too, at least some of them...I've seen plenty of small CRTs on trash day out on the curb in Philly. But maybe that wave has passed.

There is no way I'm picking up a TV off the curb. I will not take one unless I see it works. Nowadays you have these idiots tossing TV's out in the rain and snow and everything else.

There is no way I'm picking up a TV off the curb. I will not take one unless I see it works. Nowadays you have these idiots tossing TV's out in the rain and snow and everything else.

Makes sense for sure since you have to pay to get rid of it. Only one I ever brought home that was busted (and I've brought home more than I should have), I just cut the cord and brought it to the dump.

Edited by GoldenWheels

Are they idiots, though? I think you're being just a bit unrealistic. It's just trash to them. I couldn't care less what happens to stuff I leave curbside, even if other people think the item in question is a treasure.

• Like 1

Most waste facilities aren't going to let you haul off items once they're on site. Especially items that are considered hazardous waste. (CRTs have leaded glass)

You're welcome to try. If you do it without getting permission, they could charge you with theft.

The real reason this policy is in place, they don't want to be held liable in case some moron got injured or sick with something they hauled away from the dump

This is the case at my local place, they had a really nice 80s TV I wanted to take last time but they also have cameras everywhere and signs saying they'll prosecute anyone that takes stuff away :/

I doubt they watch people like hawks so you could probably walk into a container and casually walk out with one if you park your car close enough but I didn't have the guts to try it.